Rear window leak

Demon

Mine sat out in rain all day yesterday at work. Then drove home in everything from light to hard rain. I looked and no leaks.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Traded in my 2019 1500 for a 2021 Trail Boss 2LT this week. Praying I dont have to go through this bullshit again. Chevy dealer had my 2019 for almost 45 days before it was finally resolved. I think I was one of the first people in this thread and now I’m baaaaack. 😂

I dropped my 2019 off at 8am, and just picked it up.  I had asked if they would replace the rear window, and the service manager said of the 5 he has had come in, only one leaked after the repair.  He said the first time they did one, they didn't let the sealant cure long enough on that one.  They told me they water tested it afterwards, and it didn't leak.  I will let it sit overnight tonight, and water test it tomorrow myself.  Now I just need to readjust my Bakflip, since it seems a little off.  Fingers crossed it doesn't leak.  I have a golf trip in 3 weeks and don't need my buddies in the back seat complaining of wet backs/butts.

22 hours ago, BamaBen said:

Been a lurker for years.  I joined Gm-Trucks today just to reply to the saga of rear leaks.  

Bought my LT in Feb 2019.  

Apr 2019 noticed water on top of rear seat during a rainstorm in Tampa FL

May 2019 repaired in Virginia. R&R rear spoiler, new sealant and new bolt seals seemed to fix it.  Moved to Huntsville AL

June 2020 noticed a little drop of water on top of rear seat.  Told myself to get it checked but we're in lockdown for a while

Sept 2020 after summer of stay at home, finally got it to the shop.  Water line on headliner all the way across, 8 inches from the window. Dealer R&R rear window and cleaned headliner.  Looked good as new

Oct 2020 noticed a dollar-sized water stain on driver side rear headliner just above window.  Took it back to dealer.  R&R spoiler again.  They left it in their wash booth for 4 hrs and said no leaks.

Feb 25 2021 Cleaning up the cab when saw a large wet spot in same area as Oct repair.  Called dealer and they said bring it back.  R&R spoiler and said the rubber seal around one bolt was cracked.  Tech had over-torqued on last repair.  Waiting for sealant from GM

Mar 18 2021 after 3 weeks in the shop they reseal and drove it in major rain storms with headliner removed on Mar 17.  Service manager was in back seat and got soaked.  Said it was way worse when driving than when parked.  GM inspector has been requested.  

Now I wait...

Sucks what you're dealing with. I had a very similar experience and just sold the damn thing. It wasn't worth the aggravation. :(

I really do have to give a shout out to Devin at Guntersville Chevy.  He hasn't let go of getting this solved and even had the exterior detailed for me while it was waiting on parts.  This issue isn't at all their fault.  It's a crappy design and they're the ones having to deal with the issue.  It's nice to have a service advisor that truly give a crap.  He's a young guy and will do well if he continues to give service as good as I've gotten.

I've got a 2020 GMC AT4. I'm sure it did it since shipped, but it's in the garage and not driven that much. I just brought mine in for the rear window leak. I would have thought for sure this would have been a sorted issue since I have two friends with 19's that had the issue. I'm won't lie I really felt like GM let us down if they are still sending them out of the factory with the issue. The first service contact I spoke to seemed surprised. But when he sent me over the the collision shop to schedule the service, then I was told it's a very well known problem. 

20 years away from GM because of reasons like this in the past. I'm quickly regretting giving them another chance. :(

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dogdad said:

Any word on whether the 2021’s are having this leak  issue? 

Yes, unfortunately. I had my 2021 for 2 months, had it in and out of the dealer svc dept for almost half that time, including for rear window leaks. I washed my hands and got rid of it. 

• Sad 1

I stumbled across this product while in a West Marine this past weekend and immediately thought of this thread.  This may be something to try as a "last resort", it seems more flowable than the flowable silicone.

I will admit I do not (yet) have  leaking rear window but have been following this topic just in case.

Tolley wicking sealer

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jglew82 said:

Yes, unfortunately. I had my 2021 for 2 months, had it in and out of the dealer svc dept for almost half that time, including for rear window leaks. I washed my hands and got rid of it. 

What did you get in its place?

2020 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with 18,000 miles and I joined the window leak club. :(   Thankfully my husband follows many Chevy sites and has been watching for this , so we caught it right away.

Dealer stated that GM has a notice out and they have to silicone it first, so currently its at the dealership where they hire a window company to come and fix.  It sounds like they remove the 3rd brake light piece that runs along the top of the entire back window, they will silicone and re-position it, then it has to sit in a heated garage for like 24 hours and I should have it back in a day or two.  If it leaks again, then they have the glass company replace the window.  My question to all of you who that have dealt with this,  after you had it silicone' d, did you have any other issues with the window leaking?    

truck.jpg

Truck1.jpg

2 hours ago, tiggerfun42 said:

2020 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with 18,000 miles and I joined the window leak club. :(   Thankfully my husband follows many Chevy sites and has been watching for this , so we caught it right away.

Dealer stated that GM has a notice out and they have to silicone it first, so currently its at the dealership where they hire a window company to come and fix.  It sounds like they remove the 3rd brake light piece that runs along the top of the entire back window, they will silicone and re-position it, then it has to sit in a heated garage for like 24 hours and I should have it back in a day or two.  If it leaks again, then they have the glass company replace the window.  My question to all of you who that have dealt with this,  after you had it silicone' d, did you have any other issues with the window leaking?    

truck.jpg

Truck1.jpg

My dealer just replaced it from  the get go. They hired a glass guy as well. No issues so far

• Like 1

2020 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with 18,000 miles and I joined the window leak club. [emoji20]   Thankfully my husband follows many Chevy sites and has been watching for this , so we caught it right away.
truck.jpg.c6ba3010c0fe747a68541f2984b1f072.jpg
Truck1.jpg.75c3eda256d5998beb1077906144b616.jpg
See my post on 3/4/21 in this tread.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 5:06 PM, n8huntsman said:

My second window failed after exactly one year, to the day.  I noticed after washing it both times.  This time was shortly after our first frost.  Thermal cycling maybe?  Took about 9 days to replace with another new window.  I took it to a different dealer this time.  They did a much better job but unfortunately the damage had already been done by the first dealer.  However, as soon as I opened the door I immediately heard the sound of the pressure equalization flapper valve between the cap and bed.  Took a peak in there and guess what!  It was dislodged again lying between the bed and cab just like last time.  Took them over a month to get the part last time and a week to install it.  This time they ordered the part in about a week and we'll see how long the install takes.  They have to remove the bed to get to it apparently.  I've got a case open with GM waiting to see if theyll do a buy back.  I had the caulk job done, and now two windows so that should count as 3 repairs for the same issue.  If they don't do something to satisfy me I'll investigate the lemon law route because I have zero faith that this new window wont be leaking come next November.

Well... This window didn't even last through the frigid cold California winter this time. Window number 3 Already leaking in this last rain storm!

• Sad 1