Rear window leak

Demon

Don't believe I would use that. I have thought about it, though.
It certainly flows.  
Edit: the more I think about it, I don't reckon it would hurt. Kind of an expensive option, but if it works, it works. I would love to see if somebody used it, what the finished product looked like.
Don't know how much is in those, it might take two of those kits to do the whole thing. That's a pretty big gap to fill.

First one I did, I used just a squeeze tube of the Kent sealer. Took the whole tube. And it was a huge pain to squeeze out of there. I started buying them in caulking tubes after that. That's much easier

Someone on here used it that’s why I saved it not sure what post number it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/7/2021 at 7:28 PM, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Only 1 slight problem with your pic of where the actual leak was. It may have been there but, I'll bet it was actually somewhere else on the window. When Mine was leaking (yellow arrow) the was about 3-4 inches to the left (leak was on the drivers side) of where you are pointing. I actually lifted up the headliner a bit and saw the water coming in. The window track that you see in your picture however acts as a gutter carrying the water (yellow line) to the left or right till it ends. That is what the arrow on your picture is pointing at. The end of the gutter in other words. Now when I had the TSB done at the dealer the leak actually moved from 6-8 inches from the top corner to the water coming in at the very top right corner. (orange arrow) 

image.png.c8c42373308b011ee6070cc89b6ebd91.png

Looking at that pic, that plastic channel where you have the yellow line, that's what cracks, and then it leaks.  Usually it's either cracked already in multiple places, or it's getting ready to be.  Usually it leaks just as your arrows show...HOWEVER, sometimes the plastic cracks all the way and you can actually see the crack below where your yellow line is.   And it'll leak right at that spot, too and won't usually run along the top of that ledge and down in the corner. 

I HAVE seen water come from where the orange arrow is.   That's just the windshield urethane there.   It's really hard to seal effectively.  When I see one of those, I just tell them to put a glass in it.  

Back to the plastic channel:  It is obviously glues to the glass.  Then the urethane bead goes between it and the body.   So when that plastic cracks, water runs down inside the crack and into your truck.   Pretty much the same concept that the Ford trucks are dealing with as well.   Except there's no getting to the top of their glasses to try and seal them. 

The sealer basically covers the top edge of that plastic channel, and as long as it stays adhered, it should seal it.   
As I've said, I have only had one come back on me...and the TSB says if the sealer doesn't work, then replace the glass.  They're just trying not replace as many as possible.  Can't blame them, it's roughly a 1000 dollar hit every time.   So even if half of them come back, they're saving money, and getting the trucks repaired faster as well. 

I suppose your mileage may vary depending on who's doing the repair, as to how it looks afterwards.  I strive to make it so you can't tell I've been there.  I usually can find some little sign that I was there, but most others will not see it.   But that's just me.   Nobody's perfect. 

Edited by Pacfanweb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pacfanweb said:

Looking at that pic, that plastic channel where you have the yellow line, that's what cracks, and then it leaks.  Usually it's either cracked already in multiple places, or it's getting ready to be.  Usually it leaks just as your arrows show...HOWEVER, sometimes the plastic cracks all the way and you can actually see the crack below where your yellow line is.   And it'll leak right at that spot, too and won't usually run along the top of that ledge and down in the corner. 

I HAVE seen water come from where the orange arrow is.   That's just the windshield urethane there.   It's really hard to seal effectively.  When I see one of those, I just tell them to put a glass in it.  

Back to the plastic channel:  It is obviously glues to the glass.  Then the urethane bead goes between it and the body.   So when that plastic cracks, water runs down inside the crack and into your truck.   Pretty much the same concept that the Ford trucks are dealing with as well.   Except there's no getting to the top of their glasses to try and seal them. 

The sealer basically covers the top edge of that plastic channel, and as long as it stays adhered, it should seal it.   
As I've said, I have only had one come back on me...and the TSB says if the sealer doesn't work, then replace the glass.  They're just trying not replace as many as possible.  Can't blame them, it's roughly a 1000 dollar hit every time.   So even if half of them come back, they're saving money, and getting the trucks repaired faster as well. 

I suppose your mileage may vary depending on who's doing the repair, as to how it looks afterwards.  I strive to make it so you can't tell I've been there.  I usually can find some little sign that I was there, but most others will not see it.   But that's just me.   Nobody's perfect. 

Wish I could have you work on mine...or at a minimum train the guy who ends up doing mine!  Sounds like you are well versed on the repair, thanks for sharing your knowledge and results

3 hours ago, Spyderwebb said:

Wish I could have you work on mine...or at a minimum train the guy who ends up doing mine!  Sounds like you are well versed on the repair, thanks for sharing your knowledge and results

It's all I do.  Self-employed, water leak, wind noise, sunroof repairs.  Currently I only go to one GM dealership.  The Ford dealers keep me too busy to do much more, lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilverBlahdo said:

Just got my 21’ z71 LT back from the dealer. Replaced the whole rear window at 350mi from a leak drivers side stating that there was missing  sealant at the top from the factory

I wonder if this sealant is in tight supply and they’re just spreading out the very little supply they do have on hand to get the trucks out the door? 

Happy to report that my 21 denali factory rear window did not leak while driving in rain that was a combination of wiper delay and wipers at high speed that wasn't fast enough for 8 hours driving thru TN, VA and IL yesterday at interstate speeds.

Fingers crossed or waiting for the time bomb. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Been a lurker for years.  I joined Gm-Trucks today just to reply to the saga of rear leaks.  

Bought my LT in Feb 2019.  

Apr 2019 noticed water on top of rear seat during a rainstorm in Tampa FL

May 2019 repaired in Virginia. R&R rear spoiler, new sealant and new bolt seals seemed to fix it.  Moved to Huntsville AL

June 2020 noticed a little drop of water on top of rear seat.  Told myself to get it checked but we're in lockdown for a while

Sept 2020 after summer of stay at home, finally got it to the shop.  Water line on headliner all the way across, 8 inches from the window. Dealer R&R rear window and cleaned headliner.  Looked good as new

Oct 2020 noticed a dollar-sized water stain on driver side rear headliner just above window.  Took it back to dealer.  R&R spoiler again.  They left it in their wash booth for 4 hrs and said no leaks.

Feb 25 2021 Cleaning up the cab when saw a large wet spot in same area as Oct repair.  Called dealer and they said bring it back.  R&R spoiler and said the rubber seal around one bolt was cracked.  Tech had over-torqued on last repair.  Waiting for sealant from GM

Mar 18 2021 after 3 weeks in the shop they reseal and drove it in major rain storms with headliner removed on Mar 17.  Service manager was in back seat and got soaked.  Said it was way worse when driving than when parked.  GM inspector has been requested.  

Now I wait...

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BamaBen said:

Been a lurker for years.  I joined Gm-Trucks today just to reply to the saga of rear leaks.  

May 2019 repaired in Virginia. R&R rear spoiler, new sealant and new bolt seals seemed to fix it.  Moved to Huntsville AL

June 2020 noticed a little drop of water on top of rear seat.  Told myself to get it checked but we're in lockdown for a while

Sept 2020 after summer of stay at home, finally got it to the shop.  Water line on headliner all the way across, 8 inches from the window. Dealer R&R rear window and cleaned headliner.  Looked good as new

Oct 2020 noticed a dollar-sized water stain on driver side rear headliner just above window.  Took it back to dealer.  R&R spoiler again.  They left it in their wash booth for 4 hrs and said no leaks.

Feb 25 2021 Cleaning up the cab when saw a large wet spot in same area as Oct repair.  Called dealer and they said bring it back.  R&R spoiler and said the rubber seal around one bolt was cracked.  Tech had over-torqued on last repair.  Waiting for sealant from GM

Mar 18 2021 after 3 weeks in the shop they reseal and drove it in major rain storms with headliner removed on Mar 17.  Service manager was in back seat and got soaked.  Said it was way worse when driving than when parked.  GM inspector has been requested.  

Now I wait...

I read this as... with the headliner removed and someone in the backseat, in the rain, leaking, looking for it, can't find the leak?

41 minutes ago, BamaBen said:

Now I wait...

Curious....I know you are still within your bumper to bumper warranty by years....  but are you still within your bumper to bumper on the mileage? 

@gemarshThey didn't elaborate on the water leak while driving, but that's my guess too. 

Did just get a call saying they're replacing the entire back window this time since it was leaking from the sliding window plastic crack that has been previously talked about on here.

For the spoiler, my guess is that when the tech over-torqued the spoiler bolts, he damaged the frame of the roof as well, and that's why it won't seal correctly now.  Service manager said the spoiler torque specs were a recent notice they received from GM. 

@bfontenot9  Thankfully yes...31K

Edited by BamaBen
update