Rear window leak

Demon

Posted earlier.  19- trailboss. Build date  2/19.  Window leaked two weeks ago bad on both sides.  Dealer sealed top and actually did a good job.  Well, today we got heavy rain and it still leaks and from what I’m told there is trucks with build dates past 11/18 that have seen this issue from GM using old stock windows. 
Body shop guy actually tracked me down a new window within 20 minutes. He said one of only two left because of strike.  New window hopefully next week and no more water.   I also stressed before first repair and reminded him to tell glass guy that  I paid a lot of money for this truck and I would appreciate extra care to prevent scratches.  Good luck to you other guys. 
Most of the damage to mine was them cutting through the heavy sealant on the outside to get the old window out. You are bound have better luck than I did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just in case anyone has this issue.  

My truck is build date 2/19.  The rear window has leaked and been re sealed at dealer.  So it leaks again.   But since my truck does not fall under bulletin for trucks 11/18 or earlier the fix per GM is S follows. 

First, apply sealant around rear window, if it still leaks and cannot identify leak remove existing window and install same window with new sealant.  If it still leaks after some time  , install new glass.  I have gorilla tape on my rear spoiler and rear window  on my new truck window to prevent quite a bit of water coming through cab.  

And to make sh•t  better because of the strike there is no rear windows available. 

This is pretty much bullish-t!!!! 

WTF GM!

Edited by Radchad
  • Sad 1

Just in case anyone has this issue.  
My truck is build date 2/19.  The rear window has leaked and been re sealed at dealer.  So it leaks again.   But since my truck does not fall under bulletin for trucks 11/18 or earlier the fix per GM is S follows. 
First, apply sealant around rear window, if it still leaks and cannot identify leak remove existing window and install same window with new sealant.  If it still leaks after some time  , install new glass.  I have gorilla tape on my rear spoiler and rear window  on my new truck window to prevent quite a bit of water coming through cab.  
And to make sh•t  better because of the strike there is no rear windows available. 
This is pretty much bullish-t!!!! 
WTF GM!

Did you try calling Safelite to see if an aftermarket rear window was available? When mine was leaking I had them keep it in their shop garage out of the rain for two weeks until it was fixed and they gave me a loaner.

Well my new truck has the leak on the passenger side. Taking it in Wednesday. This comes after purchasing a 2.7 lt on Sept 14, and it being in the service center since Sept 16th with a collapsed lifter. Finally, this week, on Oct 14th we agreed to a new deal to put me in a new truck (5.3 ltz), and I even lost a few thousand dollars in the process, but I was ready to have a truck since my brand new one was garbage. Well it turns out my new new one has this leak. It's already been a very embarrassing and stressful experience so far, getting all the "you should have bought a... " crap from everyone, now I get to go through it all again! I'm pretty sure no matter the outcome with this one I won't be buying another GM vehicle. I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but.... my wife's kia Telluride has 13k miles on it and has been and absolute dream, my experience buying a silverado has been the worst possible nightmare. I can't believe they actually put a sticker on these trucks for $50k. 

Also mine has a build date of 2/19, so it's not exclusive to those built in 2018. 

Edited by Frank DeVoe

Well my new truck has the leak on the passenger side. Taking it in Wednesday. This comes after purchasing a 2.7 lt on Sept 14, and it being in the service center since Sept 16th with a collapsed lifter. Finally, this week, on Oct 14th we agreed to a new deal to put me in a new truck (5.3 ltz), and I even lost a few thousand dollars in the process, but I was ready to have a truck since my brand new one was garbage. Well it turns out my new new one has this leak. It's already been a very embarrassing and stressful experience so far, getting all the "you should have bought a... " crap from everyone, now I get to go through it all again! I'm pretty sure no matter the outcome with this one I won't be buying another GM vehicle. I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but.... my wife's kia Telluride has 13k miles on it and has been and absolute dream, my experience buying a silverado has been the worst possible nightmare. I can't believe they actually put a sticker on these trucks for $50k. 

Also mine has a build date of 2/19, so it's not exclusive to those built in 2018. 
Man that sucks. I know exactly how you feel. When you bought the ltz leaker was it through the dealer or was it a GM buyback? I'm waiting for the paperwork from GM to buyback my 19 leaker but the process is taking forever.

I got this ltz from the dealership after we worked out a deal for therm to take back the 2.7 that broke immediately. I'm holding out hope that their little sealant repair job will work for me, I really don't know how I'll be able to go through this process again. 

48 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Man that sucks. I know exactly how you feel. When you bought the ltz leaker was it through the dealer or was it a GM buyback? I'm waiting for the paperwork from GM to buyback my 19 leaker but the process is taking forever.

Good luck to you with the sealant job.  I was hopeful it was gonna work for me , but no luck.  I taped my spoiler and window up with clear tape and somehow this weekend the water started dripping in on drivers side.  Back of my rear seat is soaked and musty,  I had towels to soak up the water but I took them out to dry over the weekend which was a mistake.  And dealer says they won’t give me a loaner and to just park it until my new glass comes in which could be weeks!!!  I spose I’ll just walk to work while my 55k dollar truck stays parked and dry.  Starting to get pissed about this also. 

Well I will say I've been dealing with this since April, and once my truck qualified for lemon law (30 days out of service) GM has agreed to buy it back and get me into a new 2020 truck at little cost out of pocket. Otherwise I was just going to lemon law it. So yes it was a pain in the rear, but ultimately GM is making it right. What I have learned is GM has a procedure to follow and you must follow it. Making lots of noise really doesn't do any good. Every situation is different and every state has a different lemon law, so others might not get the same outcome I did. Best bet would be to work directly with the regional service manager. He/she is the one that can submit a repurchase request to GM corporate. However usually you will have to suffer through several repair attempts first. If they apply the sealant and it stops the leak, don't expect anything else, unless it keeps leaking or there is major interior water damage like mine.

Keep your frustrations in check when talking with the dealer service manager and regional manager as these are the people that need to go to bat for you with GM corporate to pursue a buyback. Don't burn Bridges you still need to walk over as they say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well I will say I've been dealing with this since April, and once my truck qualified for lemon law (30 days out of service) GM has agreed to buy it back and get me into a new 2020 truck at little cost out of pocket. Otherwise I was just going to lemon law it. So yes it was a pain in the rear, but ultimately GM is making it right. What I have learned is GM has a procedure to follow and you must follow it. Making lots of noise really doesn't do any good. Every situation is different and every state has a different lemon law, so others might not get the same outcome I did. Best bet would be to work directly with the regional service manager. He/she is the one that can submit a repurchase request to GM corporate. However usually you will have to suffer through several repair attempts first. If they apply the sealant and it stops the leak, don't expect anything else, unless it keeps leaking or there is major interior water damage like mine.

Keep your frustrations in check when talking with the dealer service manager and regional manager as these are the people that need to go to bat for you with GM corporate to pursue a buyback. Don't burn Bridges you still need to walk over as they say.

Awesome!  Let us know what flavor/color you get!

I to have the 2019 6.2 liter 1500.  Just bought it in November of 2018.  It has just over 7000 miles on it and I'm having the same problem with the rear window leaking. In my opinion, this really boils down to an engineering and quality control issue.  

I've had the dealership "fix" it twice!  

Now it's leaking again.  Nice truck.  Nice power.  Not so dry.  Hope my sunroof holds up.  

Edited by Dale Harris
Grammar incorrect

Awesome!  Let us know what flavor/color you get!
Should pick up a 2020 Black trail boss with a 10 speed next week identical to my 2019 White trail boss. Needed a change of color so it would feel like a different truck. In my short test drive the 10 speed felt amazing compared to my clunky 8 speed.

• Like 1

It has been 3 weeks since I've had the bulletin (seam sealer) fix which was the 1st repair attempt. Big rainstorm last Friday and the leak has returned :(

Dropped truck off Monday and dealership has leak tested and verified. Took some convincing and lengthy discussion with the service mgr however I do have a new rear window being installed as I type :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kozzy said:

It has been 3 weeks since I've had the bulletin (seam sealer) fix which was the 1st repair attempt. Big rainstorm last Friday and the leak has returned :(

Dropped truck off Monday and dealership has leak tested and verified. Took some convincing and lengthy discussion with the service mgr however I do have a new rear window being installed as I type :)

Let us know how it turns out!

While detailing my truck the other day, I was about to wipe the back windows and I saw the dreaded leak. Maybe not looking or thinking about it made it better. But now that I've seen it, I don't think I can un-see it! Based on the gooping effect, the breaking all kinds of parts while attempting a fix, the scratch everything issues... I'll say I'm quite afraid to bring this up to a dealer.

I have a GMC, but the closest is a Chevy. They have already "not felt the 1-2,2-1 problem or vibrating on a light acceleration" so I am majorly concerned with this dealers ability. I have a follow up with the GM of the dealership this coming week. He was a lot more friendly than the service director.  So fingers crossed.

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_8431.JPG

On 10/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

Should pick up a 2020 Black trail boss with a 10 speed next week identical to my 2019 White trail boss. Needed a change of color so it would feel like a different truck. In my short test drive the 10 speed felt amazing compared to my clunky 8 speed.

6.2?? ?