Chevy Spotlights 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE Automatic Transmission

Gorehamj

2019-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-016.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-29-2019

Chevrolet has added the new 10-speed automatic transmission to its hottest Camaro, the ZL1 1LE. GM says that experienced racers can shave seconds off lap times on longer high-speed circuits with the new automatic by comparison to the 6-Speed manual. Although our staff has not tested this generation of the Camaro ZL1, we have tracked the prior generation with the manual. It was for sure the limiting factor in quicker times for this writer. By comparison, we drove the Lexus RC F with its race-tuned 8-speed auto and were amazed at how well modern track-tuned automatic transmissions can match the gears to the particular needs of the vehicle at any given point on the track. These modern automatics rev-match downshifts and wil keep the vehicle at the perfect point in the RPM range for maximum thrust in all scenarios. 

2019-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-017.jpg

“This transmission is optimized for speed,” said Camaro Chief Engineer Mark Dickens. “With unique Track Mode calibrations and 10 gears, you are always in the perfect gear when rolling on or off the throttle. You may not be a professional race car driver, but now you can shift like one.” Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet passenger car and crossover marketing, expanded on that, saying, “Adding an automatic transmission is another example of the Camaro portfolio delivering what customers want. This ultimate 1LE is another appealing option that is true to its racing heritage.” 

2019-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-015.jpg

The new 10-speed becomes available on the Camaro ZL1 1LE in February. What say you GM-Trucks faithful? Would you opt for the automatic in a car you planned to track, or would you prefer the 6-speed stick?

My 2018 SS 1LE is my first manual car. If an auto was available I most likely would have went that route but I have to say the manual is fun. I know I am the limiting factor of the car.

Ryan B.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

My 2018 SS 1LE is my first manual car. If an auto was available I most likely would have went that route but I have to say the manual is fun. I know I am the limiting factor of the car.

Ryan B.

It's all about smiles per gallon in a weekend car. I wouldn't take anything but a manual. It's not like we are joining a Trans-Am racing series and would lose out by not saving that 0.07seconds per lap. Congrats on your 1LE, that is the best drivers car out there right now. I almost bought a 1SS last fall, but I had to hold out for my dream car, C6 Z06. 

manual.jpg

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 2

I will be tracking (road courses) this coming year.  Have 2 events planned.  THis car is a blast to drive.  Definitely hard to get used to just driving a few times a week in the spring-fall.  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, RyanbabZ71 said:

Ryan B.

Wow, how good were you when you got it? Doubt maybe people start out in a manual capable of getting to 60 in 4 seconds. My driving habits are completely different in a manual car, and they are more fun, but I wanted an Auto SS just for it's shifting speed: much faster than human. If there had been a 1LE auto, no question I would have bought one, (since the other reason is my wife doesn't get along with clutches, and I have had several fun cars she couldn't handle, wanted to bring her back to cars, she loved our Corvette). If there is a Shock 1LE auto......better save some money.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

33 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I remember not long ago a performance car tested by car and driver had a close ratio stick shift.It had the ability to hit 60 in first. Camaro I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You’re old. It was a long time ago.