factory subwoofer

4 minutes ago, cccjrsbox said:

I can make mine do that also, but I have to really be pushing it beyond any quality threshold for all speakers (Bose System).  It stays on-line for me at the volumes I like, and I'm no pansy when it comes to volume.  Do you have the vol control knob?  Really helpful to dial in different songs...

Yes on the control knob, it's a must have. Yeah I kinda figure it was at threshold of 200w amp. May upgrade down the road. thx

I played with the switches a lot for me putting 6 up knocks the crossover point down 12db, for me it made the Kicker stop trying to create mid bass gives a much sharper roll over. I like it the Kicker sucks at making mid bass. It’s no JL, but it sounds a helluva lot better that that damn Bose woofer. I did look at thing with a real time analyzer, there is a hole in the mid bass because I have bass at -12, if I unhook the Bose sub I can fix that easy enough.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, Smitty said:

Is this really any better than the sub that's in there now with the Bose premium package?   LTZ and up.   Is this replacing or adding to what's already in there?

Probably not as good as the one in the models with the full Bose system. Not likely this is meant to replace an existing Bose subwoofer which is located in the bucket seat version with front console extending to the dash. This is intended for Bose systems lacking a subwoofer, which is the less expensive $500. Bose system option installed in the armrest/center bench seat models.

No center console for mounting the subwoofer so it goes under the rear seats where it can give rear passengers the urge to take a pi$$.....which is all the excuse Max would need to bark and let one loose.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, Mountain boy said:

1B6BA269-1C7C-4335-9526-75219E568DA0.jpeg

So installing this precludes the use of the under seat locker? (Sorry haven’t had my truck delivered yet)

I was hoping to make good use of the locker to store SG’s/rifles

If you have the Bose system and a full console you have a subwoofer and don't need another one. I've never seen more than one subwoofer output on any top of the line receiver.

Used the OEM storage compartment from the '16 in my '19. Dedicated tray for the '19 requires a cutout area for the the relocated jack destroying the waterproof integrity of the tray. No problem...removed the jack and bolted into in the old tray, then secured the old tray using the same mounts which similarly fit the seat mounts in the '19........with jack removed fit like a glove using the existing hardware.

DSCN0613.JPG

DSCN0614.JPG

DSCN0615.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, Thomcat said:

Probably not as good as the one in the models with the full Bose system. Not likely this is meant to replace an existing Bose subwoofer which is located in the bucket seat version with front console extending to the dash. This is intended for Bose systems lacking a subwoofer, which is the less expensive $500. Bose system option installed in the armrest/center bench seat models.

No center console for mounting the subwoofer so it goes under the rear seats where it can give rear passengers the urge to take a pi$$.....which is all the excuse Max would need to bark and let one loose.

Wrong wrong wrong, it is meant for the full Bose system, that Bose sub woofer sucks! It just farts. I have it installed with the Bose full system. The Bose sub is a 4” piece of crap. This is a 10” sub with an add on amp of 200 watt’s it is not an earth shaking sub but it sounds good and adds a lot. I am sorry but when people post crap that have no clue what they are talking about it pisses me off. The picture posted is my truck with the full Bose system and the Kicker sub installed.

• Like 1

There is only one Bose system in these trucks. Bose is not available without a center console anymore, so they all have the “sub”. My beef with it from the start is that the door speakers do all the heavy lifting and create rattles during some music.

I think people don’t understand what a well balanced system is suppose to sound like. They equate distortion with inflated bass with good sound. These systems today are very well balanced without exaggerated bass. 

If anything they could improve the sound stage by widening it.  

Edited by sswails

1 hour ago, Mountain boy said:

Wrong wrong wrong, it is meant for the full Bose system, that Bose sub woofer sucks! It just farts. I have it installed with the Bose full system. The Bose sub is a 4” piece of crap. This is a 10” sub with an add on amp of 200 watt’s it is not an earth shaking sub but it sounds good and adds a lot. I am sorry but when people post crap that have no clue what they are talking about it pisses me off. The picture posted is my truck with the full Bose system and the Kicker sub installed.

Here's my .02 and I'm certainly not pi$$ed because as with everything I always consider the source.

My '16 had no center console and no subwoofer and I'll concede that absent one, adding it  in that instance even in a poor location may enhance bass response. And size does matter in one particular area where I have no problem with large is better, but not necessarily in a speaker. What matters in a speaker is cone construction material, shape, metal alloy and Gauss of magnet, construction of and spacing of field coil windings and placement in cone driver, etc. However, proper placement is the most important and Trumps all of them, it can make a good speaker sound adequate and a great speaker sound not so, cannot be done satisfactorily  in a vehicle with space, size and location limitations and for certain not by just shoving it in an empty spot under a seat because that is the only place in the cabin it will fit.

Many believe think they can achieve true quality sound by adding a piece of crap placed haphazardly in a system that already has the existing drivers built into convenient places in a tin can rather than locating where it can replicate true dynamic sound. Just make it louder and thumpy especially when playing modern $hit instead of classical music where one can discriminate the full dynamic range; in some peoples minds that equates to better.....OK for them.....same for my dog Max who can't tell the difference in quality or price and will readily enjoy whatever is in his dish, but he does prefer hot dogs to sirloin.

I've been running Bose 901s on my main system since 1976 and the largest speaker in them is 4" with poly cones. Only difference is that the newer ones cost around $2200. pair compared to the $1000. I paid at the time and mine have real walnut veneer instead of a crap modern finish. Placement of these speakers was always determined by the size and shape of the room in my current house, sometimes on their custom stands, sometimes suspended from the ceiling, sometimes pointing towards a corner, sometimes along a wall based upon the echo qualities of the room. Proper placement and  balance obtained with the receiver's audio feedback pickup mic placed at the seating position of the listener.

I've gone through dozens of receivers from the infancy of HiFi and the first build it yourself puple glowing output tubes monoural Dynakit, later upgraded when stereo was finally broadcast to Fishers to Sonys to Onkyos and Marantz', even had one of the first subwoofers that was built into a monster sized coffee table. My secondary system in the other family room uses top of the line at the time US made KLH 1s driven by a Marantz receiver......which  cabinets in addition to separate tweeter and midrange employs two 14"  for the low end those $1200 speakers can't hold a candle to the base response Bose 901's 4 inchers with their direct reflecting cabinet and multiple itsy bitsy 4" ers which have a throw distance like the pistons in a 327 even with the subwoofer turned off.

Placement of a subwoofer is not normally critical for true sound reproduction, except perhaps when it is mounted under someones a$$ because that's the only place were it will fit! You find that stuff promoted in a car accessory catalogs rather than audiophile geared magazines. And like I said a subwoofer under a seat is not for me, Max lies in the back and I'm in no mood for him to give his opinion by messing up my leather seats.

Granted the base Bose system is not an audiophile's delight....that listening is meant for a large anechoic room with a balanced system sitting in a leather recliner......not jammed into a tin can with cheap seating, road noise and hard reflective surfaces.....but adding crap to crap doesn't make it sound that much better.

4 hours ago, Mountain boy said:

The old Bose systems were and are very unique, they are a direct reflecting system meant to use the acoustics of the room and placement is critical, just like the Klipsch Cornerhorns I once had they absolutely had to go in a corner. The new Factory Kicker sub unlike its predecessors is in an acoustical enclosure that is down facing much like many home sub woofers. It is in the center of the back seat and very non directional. My dog sleeps on top of it all the time. It will shake the truck if I choose to but I don’t. I use a pink noise generator and a real time analyzer to set it up. I run it flat with a slight bass boost. I majored in acoustical engineering in college and worked in a stereo store back when your Bose were popular, I demoed them a lot in our high end room hooked to a Phase Linear 400 I remember them well. I run a 6.1 all Klipsch system at home now, the Cornerhorns are long gone someone just offered me too much money for them, I had 4 of  them in a 20X30 basement room with only 1 chair in the middle of the room. For parties the chair was removed and the room became a dance floor complete with mirror ball. At the time I was a working DJ and computer tech.

We can agree that the stock system is garbage to an audiophlile and upgrades like Bose and JBL in a vehicle are not much better. But there is good reason for why different speakers on opposite channels must be phased and no system includes two subwoofers. A subwoofer is non directional, that's why only one in a system, two will cause a directionality which will affect overall listening - never attempted it but just doesn't sound right otherwise stero receiver mfrs. would be happy to put dual subwoofer outputs and sell two sub woofers for each one currently sold. Just like the exact signal being fed to both left and right channels and its back to pre stereo HiFi days will force all sound directly to the middle.

Only thing worse than a subwoofer under a seat or in a console is one on the dashboard like my Traverse which is shorter and already has so much crap under it, second row is movable and third flush to the raised floor area to maker room for driveshaft, both gas tanks and crossover feed used for AWDs that the dashboard was the only place they could stuff it. Ten speakers and a subwoofer and it doesn't sound much better than the stock 4 speakers, and adding a second subwoofer isn't going to make an appreciable difference there either.

Basements are for turning up volume on the sub and blasting the surround sound with the projection TV watching the suds dance in your beer,  not for any quality listening, the hard surface of a floor alone introduces reflected wave distortion.....unless perhaps there's a rug on the dance floor.

High end home receivers do have dual sub inputs and many people run 2 or more subs especially if they sit in more than one spot or have multiple seats to view from.

Its impossible to put a subwoofer in a vehicle in the ideal location. It’s not like you’re not going to do the “sub crawl” method to figure out where to place it so you do what you can.

With a decent subwoofer tuned properly you can have a great sounding setup in your vehicle provided the rest of the equipment is up to snuff. It doesn’t need to be a bloaty fart cannon turned up to 11.

Anyone running two or more subs in the same room clearly has some problems with size or placement. Subs are non directional for any seating position in a room and when properly sized, and properly placed, one is sufficient. Only reason I could conceive for a dual sub output on a receiver would be one with A-B speaker capability where the receiver/amp is feeding separate speaker setups in two rooms each with its own sub..

There’s actually quite a few articles about the advantages of running multiple subs and most home theatres now that are in a larger room have more than one, some as many as 1 in each corner. These aren’t just some high schooler/college kids adding speakers for the hell of it to make things loud either. 

I’m not an audiophile but I appreciate good sound. I’ll be adding a 10” sub to my Bose system to get things smoothed out and see how it sounds from there.