factory subwoofer

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, BillyDee said:

Thank you.   Looking at the description and photos online at GM... couple things stand out when comparing to the video and the installation guide.

1 - 200-watt powered Kicker® subwoofer with quick-connect wire harness to easily secure or remove when needing more cargo room:   Does this really come out easily?   Looks like it bolts in.

2 - Plug and play, no wire cutting or vehicle modifications .  Instructions show cutting the carpet, running wires to dash, and splicing them.   Does that occur or does it plug into an existing socket under the back seat?

3 - DSP Tuned Specifically to your Next Generation Silverado 1500 Crew Cab and Extended Cab.  Photo shows a DSP module, but the instructions don't mention it.  Looks to be mounted behind the back seat?

BTW - nice that the price dropped $150 recently.

I installed it myself and it took some time probably around 2 hours. The directions weren't very clear which was frustrating. I actually started backwards because it was easier to run the harness that way. They do give you everything you need and it is a really clean kit. I did purchase the bass adjuster.

1. it does come out easy. it just uses one seat bolt and the other is the jack handle bolt.

2. you did have to cut some carpet for a cleaner install but I don't see why you cant just lay the wires on top of the carpet. You don't have any splicing to do it is 2 connections that you have to make behind the glovebox which was a pain in the ass.

3.I just noticed this on the forum so I need to adjust mine. the amp is mounted on the box. It does give out some really good bass and I am very pleased with it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, seedsalesman said:

I installed it myself and it took some time probably around 2 hours. The directions weren't very clear which was frustrating. I actually started backwards because it was easier to run the harness that way. They do give you everything you need and it is a really clean kit. I did purchase the bass adjuster.

1. it does come out easy. it just uses one seat bolt and the other is the jack handle bolt.

2. you did have to cut some carpet for a cleaner install but I don't see why you cant just lay the wires on top of the carpet. You don't have any splicing to do it is 2 connections that you have to make behind the glovebox which was a pain in the ass.

3.I just noticed this on the forum so I need to adjust mine. the amp is mounted on the box. It does give out some really good bass and I am very pleased with it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 10:31 PM, BLACK AT4 said:

It will work perfectly. I just did it. I was only able to secure it with one bracket but its fine. They hook up exactly the same. Just use the instructions from the new sub. It will save you room under your seat as well. I bought the under seat storage container and cut it where the end off. You would never know it didn't come that way. Good Luck ! 

Could please post a picture of the kicker sub from a 17 installed in an 19. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TrailBoss3626 said:

That kicker add in is straight up junk, especially if you already have bose. More fun to do it yourself and put something you really want in. 

Yikes - Just ordered one yesterday.  Seen some pretty good reviews, what have you experienced? 

This sub box appears to be plastic, is that common these days? Ours were always made from MDF board back in the day. Plastic seems like it would creak and rattle under bass, like the interior of my old 98 did when I last had subs. 

I installed the kit a couple weeks back and its not junk.....its not the same as a custom box with a JL, but I had the chance to add it to my truck at cost.  You need to do 2 things though...

1.  Get the kicker bass control knob from best buy and install it ($24)

2. Adjust the gain on the Amp (1st 3 dip switches to have the 1st 2 up).  Then you will have the ability to use the bass control to tune it to your liking (mine is at the mid point).  Took me just about an hour to do and you cant tell its there.

When I have it turned up, I cant see out my rear view mirror as its moving like crazy.  The box is tuned closer to 70hz I say and does roll off quicker then a custom sealed enclosure.  If I would have went aftermarket, I most likely would have spent more on just the sub and box.  In the 90s I used to have competition equipment, yes its not the same, but at 50 its good for me and significantly better than just the bose. 

Plastic is not an issue, its well built.  You can add dynamite if you like and you still have storage space.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, cccjrsbox said:

Yikes - Just ordered one yesterday.  Seen some pretty good reviews, what have you experienced? 

Ive heard a few trucks with it installed, really not my cup of tea, im doing seat delete and throwing a single 15" sub with a massive box. Let me rephrase my previous post Im 27 years old still love loud ass bass, kicker makes a decent product shouldn't have called it trash. 

On 5/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, quicksilverc5 said:

I installed the kit a couple weeks back and its not junk.....its not the same as a custom box with a JL, but I had the chance to add it to my truck at cost.  You need to do 2 things though...

1.  Get the kicker bass control knob from best buy and install it ($24)

2. Adjust the gain on the Amp (1st 3 dip switches to have the 1st 2 up).  Then you will have the ability to use the bass control to tune it to your liking (mine is at the mid point).  Took me just about an hour to do and you cant tell its there.

When I have it turned up, I cant see out my rear view mirror as its moving like crazy.  The box is tuned closer to 70hz I say and does roll off quicker then a custom sealed enclosure.  If I would have went aftermarket, I most likely would have spent more on just the sub and box.  In the 90s I used to have competition equipment, yes its not the same, but at 50 its good for me and significantly better than just the bose. 

Plastic is not an issue, its well built.  You can add dynamite if you like and you still have storage space.

Great info.  Thanks!  Can you post a photo of where/how you mounted the knob?  Thanks!

Please, feel free to flame me. It’s late and I’m calling it a night because I’m sure I’m missing something simple.  

Started installing the Kicker subwoofer it from GM tonight.  

Ran the harness tonight, connected (without fully installing the box), connected and had sound.  Disconnected and put the box away for the night.  

Two questions:

1) ended up with a check engine light (P25A2- engine electrical / chagring system & C0580 - Traction control error) after everything was run.  OnStar says there’s a charging system issue.  Anyone else encounter this?

2) Rear door speakers have nearly zero sound. Extremely low volume, and extremely light sound (zero bass, almost all highs).  Fronts sound fantastic. 

Sorry and thanks in advance for the help everyone. 

Edited by Jackwards
Updated info

9 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

I had my own made...fits right inside the factory box under seat.  Just factory BOSE with a little extra 12in kick in the back. 

sub.thumb.jpg.56b3ca127a2f56892eec05d43513a06f.jpg

^^^This is the exact design for what I was planning on doing - The space is perfect for eights in my opinion. I havent measured yet but I will throw three dual voice coil JL audio 8s wired in parallel in the space with an amp (if it fits)..It will kick like a mule.

I had this design in a previous truck and I had to turn it WAY down because it would drive you out of the truck...

Edited by Chris walker

some more pics. The box is actually fiberglass molded around that factory box. I need to clean up the amp a little.. but you get the idea. 

Also - adding a base knob up front is important. 

This set up is probably the same less $$ as the factory kicker sub.. but I can guarantee it rocks more. 

20190516_111631.jpg

• Like 1