On 7/1/2019 at 9:38 PM, bearded_warrior said:

I understand what you're saying here. but this leads to no resolutions and follows the BS TAC Case GM is spitting out with the "Normal Hard Shift and no degradation to your vehicle over time".

You quoted something prior to the video post where @econometrics also said that what I've documented is worth a look at. I can guarantee it's not normal. 

Best advice I can give to help us all: Please, if you see something say something. if you say nothing, nothing will happen to improve or fix any issues for the rest of us.

@wizard4878 Great, i'm happy you aren't having issues, or if you are, they are not bad enough to talk to someone, but that's not helpful to those of us that are. Watch the jerkiness of the videos first please and acknowledge other comments before calling people sensitive. I've already acknowledged that I'm hypersensitive to shifting. But literally zero loaners from Chevrolet and  zero other vehicles that i've driven in my life have had similar behavior. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the truck, but I want it to work like it should and i'd be happy to keep the vehicle. This behaves worse than my 16' did when it took me 20k miles to have it diagnosed with a blown torque converter at 35k miles. I want this one to stop slamming myself and passengers uncomfortably in the vehicle. Currently, 4 times I have been slam shifted at under 2.4k miles,  (lurched forward, up-shift lag lurches you name it. ) which is unacceptable on any vehicle, not just a new one. 

I'd like to say that 3.5k miles is better now. but I can't. clunky and whammy even in sport mode, manual mode, trailer mode.  Even  after driving smooth at highway for 5-6 hours it turns sour when coming back to normal slow speeds in stoplight traffic. 

Again, if you have issues, please take it in to the shop, Maybe your reproduction of the issue can help us all. Maybe GM will acknowledge something to help us all.  That's all we all want. A truck we all bought to just work and not to be sensitive and slam us around. There are plenty of other ways to get slammed around and most of us prefer not to pay truck prices to get that thrill. 

Sorry if I upset you, that was not the point.  My point is that the price of a new truck, for most of us anyway,  is a lot of money and with that will make a person extra sensitive to everything, because nobody wants to spend that much and not have something they are not happy with.

After reading your post several times I have to say that you seem to have a talent for picking the trucks that will have issues.  I am not making light of your situation,  I don't want to see anybody have trouble with a new vehicle that they have spent their hard earned money on.   Having said all of this I do have to ask the hard question.  It may make you mad at me for asking, but I don't know you, or you me, and I worked in a dealership as an assistant service manager, so you are not the first that I have had to ask.  Is it possible that it's your driving habits?  You said you had trouble with a 16 model also, so is there something that you do in day to day driving that most other people don't?  Could be anything,  not saying your doing anything wrong, just wondering.   Do you have huge hills you go up and have to stop in the middle?  Do you go off roading often?  Like I said , could be anything,  even something you would consider normal that others may not.

If there isn't anything, then I go back to my earlier statement,  you have a talent for picking the trucks that will have issues.

I base that statement on my own personal experience working at a dealer and still being in close contact with people who are still there.  I was there today getting my first service and asked the service manager about many of the issues that I read about on here and he said,  "we have only had 2 trucks with AFM come back with issues since they started building them, and both of those were do to poor maintenance.  The customers in both case's were changing oil based on when the dash told them to instead of by mileage" (I guess those funky lifters are super sensitive to dirty oil) -- " no transmission issues" --"no problems with DFM trucks"

Again,  wish you and anyone else that is having issues are able to get all problems fixed soon.

This is just my 2 cents,  which means nothing to anyone but me

Good luck with your truck,  hope I didn't offend you, if so, sorry, that's not my intent, just trying to learn...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wizard4878 said:

Sorry if I upset you, that was not the point.  My point is that the price of a new truck, for most of us anyway,  is a lot of money and with that will make a person extra sensitive to everything, because nobody wants to spend that much and not have something they are not happy with.

After reading your post several times I have to say that you seem to have a talent for picking the trucks that will have issues.  I am not making light of your situation,  I don't want to see anybody have trouble with a new vehicle that they have spent their hard earned money on.   Having said all of this I do have to ask the hard question.  It may make you mad at me for asking, but I don't know you, or you me, and I worked in a dealership as an assistant service manager, so you are not the first that I have had to ask.  Is it possible that it's your driving habits?  You said you had trouble with a 16 model also, so is there something that you do in day to day driving that most other people don't?  Could be anything,  not saying your doing anything wrong, just wondering.   Do you have huge hills you go up and have to stop in the middle?  Do you go off roading often?  Like I said , could be anything,  even something you would consider normal that others may not.

If there isn't anything, then I go back to my earlier statement,  you have a talent for picking the trucks that will have issues.

I base that statement on my own personal experience working at a dealer and still being in close contact with people who are still there.  I was there today getting my first service and asked the service manager about many of the issues that I read about on here and he said,  "we have only had 2 trucks with AFM come back with issues since they started building them, and both of those were do to poor maintenance.  The customers in both case's were changing oil based on when the dash told them to instead of by mileage" (I guess those funky lifters are super sensitive to dirty oil) -- " no transmission issues" --"no problems with DFM trucks"

Again,  wish you and anyone else that is having issues are able to get all problems fixed soon.

This is just my 2 cents,  which means nothing to anyone but me

Good luck with your truck,  hope I didn't offend you, if so, sorry, that's not my intent, just trying to learn...

@wizard4878, thanks for the response. I also apologize if I came off as brash, I get frustrated as well when others say they have issues but will wait for a fix when none exists yet.  You and @econometrics are right, no one wants to be disappointed by any vehicle that's purchased by our hard earned money. 

You ask a great question, and one i've described to the dealerships many times which is nearly impossible for them to repeat without a ride along to work. I commute in DC traffic for around 1.5 hours each way in stop and go traffic with distracted drivers all around. No off roading, no strange roads, i'm probably on the more aggressive side of the driving spectrum, mostly due to the frustration of dozens of distracted drivers every day.  

I think you're right, I have a talent that I'd happily trade lol.  I appreciate you asking your local dealer and sharing, my dealer is saying the same thing, they've had some really strange other issues. But nothing on the 19' related to the transmission/drivetrain besides mine. They even mentioned a vehicle that drive's like it's stuck in 4wd when in 2wd. 8-/

I drove it yesterday to work, was flawless all the way in. Then on the return trip was randomly clunky at low speeds all the way home till I shifted to park to drop off my coworker, then it was smooth the rest of the way home. 

The strangest parts are the extreme shifts on low speed upshifts and downshifts after reversing or leaving the vehicle in a parking lot for anywhere from 5m to 1h. It's only happened a hand full of times but is shocking when it happens, and these instances in the videos haven't happened on the normal commute (just normal weekend driving).

Thanks again for the response, I didn't take it personally and I hope you're truck does better than mine or others. What I was trying to emphasize is that if people do have issues, saying nothing to the dealer helps none of us. I'd love to see everyone with issues to bring up the issues with their local dealers as well, hopefully with enough TAC cases they can find a resolution through one of us.

Happy 4th of July all. :cheers:

I’m just over 3K miles and my T1 is definitely driving great. The gear shifting 1-2 feels like it has gotten smoother and I have not had the clunks experienced when I 1st got the Rig. So far I really like the way it handles and the power is insane. Happy 4th!

• 2 weeks later...

TLDR; GM working on a fix. 

Great News, GM has acknowledged the lurching / hard shift issue on the 2019's there's a TSB that references the issue and GM is working on a fix. Thanks to whomever might have helped GM repeat this issue, hopefully it  can be resolved swiftly and alleviates the issues we've been seeing. 

Thanks to everyone participating here, i'll update when I can get the TSB from the dealership, unfortunately they called while I was on the motorcycle today so no chance to write down the TSB. I only know that it's acknowledged and they are working on a fix. I'm not sure whether it's a hardware or software resolution yet. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

So, I bought mine June 29th and I believe she was made around the end of March this year, and I now have just a hair over 300 miles, and honest to goodness she has been perfect imo. Everything is just seamless so to speak with the 8 speed tranny.

So apparently the advisor confused me over the phone, they were referring to a fix for another climate control infotainment issue and not the transmission. Whoops.  

Back to hoping they can acknowledge and repeat the lurching.

My truck has started back with the hard downshift whenever I hit 7 mph while coming to a stop. My dealer rode with me and I was able to duplicate the problem with nearly every stop that we made. They are ordering me a new transmission. Hopefully I will get lucky and get a good one this time. 

@bearded_warriorThis was the 3rd time taking my truck in for the same issue. On the first visit, they did a relearn on the transmission. The problem disappeared for 1.5 months. Once it resurfaced, I took it back and they did another relearn. The problem resurfaced after 1 week. So I took it back to the dealership last Thursday and I let the service manager ride with me. He told me that he would reach out to the gm technicians for the recommended course of action. I went back to the dealership today to see what he found out, and he mentioned that they were going to replace the transmission. He told me once it arrives, they would set up an appointment to have it put in.  Oh, I did reach out to GM customer service about a month ago about this issue, so I have a senior advisor following up on everything. Are you still having issues with yours? 

1 hour ago, caddydaddy25 said:

@bearded_warriorThis was the 3rd time taking my truck in for the same issue. On the first visit, they did a relearn on the transmission. The problem disappeared for 1.5 months. Once it resurfaced, I took it back and they did another relearn. The problem resurfaced after 1 week. So I took it back to the dealership last Thursday and I let the service manager ride with me. He told me that he would reach out to the gm technicians for the recommended course of action. I went back to the dealership today to see what he found out, and he mentioned that they were going to replace the transmission. He told me once it arrives, they would set up an appointment to have it put in.  Oh, I did reach out to GM customer service about a month ago about this issue, so I have a senior advisor following up on everything. Are you still having issues with yours? 

Yeah, it happens randomly still, can't get anyone to reproduce it. Has good days and bad days. I had something new the other day where it took 1-2 seconds to shift into 2nd while I was flat out trying to merge with traffic the other day. Complete power loss while it was trying to find 2nd.  Then it was fine the rest of the day. 

Was working with GM Service senior advisors and then they transfer'd my case to a non senior agent who proceed to tell me it must be normal. I'm working another avenue right now and they're supposed to update me from the quality control team today.

Hopefully they can get the ball rolling for you. My truck would do it on certain days. Like now, it hasn't done it since Saturday. But whatever day it decides to do it, it'll do it the majority of the day. I haven't experienced the loss of power that you mentioned. The 10 speed transmissions will be available for the 2020's with the 5.3. I wonder if they will work with our 5.3's. Not saying we should purchase one, but I wonder will gm replace the 8 speeds that are problematic with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took me a while to come here and post but thought I would. Since getting my truck early May I have been totally babying it. Driving like grandpa from stop etc. been loving this thing. I just hit 4K miles but about 3 weeks ago I experienced my first “clunk” shift. Trying to do a quick 3 point turn in my street. It totally hesitated then LUNGED coming from stop 1st to 2nd. Felt very mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 175vTrailbossLT said:

Took me a while to come here and post but thought I would. Since getting my truck early May I have been totally babying it. Driving like grandpa from stop etc. been loving this thing. I just hit 4K miles but about 3 weeks ago I experienced my first “clunk” shift. Trying to do a quick 3 point turn in my street. It totally hesitated then LUNGED coming from stop 1st to 2nd. Felt very mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this transmission does not seem to like the quick D to R to D shifts at all. 

@bearded_warrior Well it finally happened, I have just over 7000 miles, and like @175vTrailbossLT I was doing a 3 point turn and when I shifted from R back to D, boom felt like I was hit in the rear, not really a lunge, more like getting bumped from someone behind who's foot slipped off the brake pedal at a light.  

I'm 100% sure that I've done the D-R-D thing several times before, but this is the first time for the "bump".

It almost seems like the software between the engine ecm and the trans ecm don't communicate very well and it try's to switch gears while adding cylinders for more power.  Just my thoughts

• Like 1

Ahh sorry to hear that everyone. 

I have an appointment Friday and a field engineer is coming out to take a looks at my truck. Fingers crossed it acts up for him. 

Somedays it's still running flawlessly, plenty of power smother shifting, etc. And other days it feels sluggish off the line, laggs between gears, bumps and slams. 

Hopefully I can return with some good news. 

• Like 1