Oil Recommendation

9 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

I just haven't been getting great service at any of the dealerships around here (other than Audi or Lexus). Infiniti ended up not doing the work they said they would do and then also left various fluid caps off and didn't ever bother to wipe down the engine area at all. Thing was filthy after a year. Oh...and the gmc dealership...well they crashed my truck when it had like maybe 600 or 700 miles on it...once bitten 10000x shy now. I just do my own crap and track it all. 

and for grumpy bear...excellent info as usual...but first time reading anything you post always makes me scratch my head until there's a bald spot.

Damn, that sucks! My GMC dealership is very considerate, especially about the cleaning part. On my first oil change the on duty service manager (not the guy I know) saw me wiping off a fingerprint with my tee-shirt...came out and asked if I had about 15 minutes to spare, I did and he sent it off to their wash bay for a complete wash and dry.

15 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Even if a bottle says 100% Synthetic doesn't mean it didn't start life as a dinosaur.

This is the important fact people need to remember. Synthetics are not a magical new element.

It's in the refinement process removing more of the stuff you don't want.

I think folks are going a bit overboard on this whole thing.  These motors are not cooking oil like a turbo motor can/will.  They are reving to the moon.

My plan for this truck is simple; dealer changes until my free changes are up and then Mobil One 5W30 after that.  $5 a quart plus filter is enough.  

17 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

If it works for you then that’s all that matters. Just because it says Dexos approved doesn’t mean that it’s what someone is looking for in an oil. I look at having the maximum amount of protection available in order to minimize wear and tear in my engine components. Literally, any Dexos approved oil will lubricate your engine but there’s always the one that goes extreme protection and that will always lean on Amsoil for its incredible protection that each and every test lab has raved about its protection properties. It’s the stock rating you’ve got to look at. A full synthetic is a blend of low stock oils but a 100% synthetic is higher stock grade. A bottle of Mobil1 Annual oil is approximately $8-$9 dollars a quart, a bottle of Amsoil after discount is $10 dollars per quart. It’s a no brainer and the majority that doesn’t look at Amsoil is because it’s not found in auto supply shops, online/phone call order only or specialty oil change shops. A couple dollars difference between fake synthetic and real 100% synthetic makes a huge difference down the road.

Sent from above

I think it really depends on how long your oci is going to be, if you're stretching it out into the longer ranges? Ok, I can see spending more and going with an oil that might have the ability to protect your engine better. But I feel you're keeping the intervals between 5,000-6,000, and you don't like the longer drain intervals? Do you need extreme protection, especially if the oil is Dexos approved and shows great results from various used oil analysis? And from a cost perspective - doing 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes - I can buy Pennzoil Platinum (after rebate) for $2.40 a quart. I just did it. Very easy. I pay about the same for Mobil 1 with their yearly rebate. You can pay $3.50 a quart for 0W20 Super Tech, every single day of the week (and Warren oil is a respected oil company). 

So I think it really depends on your drain interval comfort level/preference.

Yes, My choice to have the best protection available and Amsoil is the best through and through. If buying the best is easily accessible then why not especially in a vehicle that’s got over $10K in upgrades and growing. No such thing now a day a high quality oil costing $3 per quart unless you’re looking at conventional oil even that’s low but to each their own and this is exactly why I NEVER buy used but a line of friends that want mine. I can pull up large sums of videos proclaiming AMSOIL as the best but no need.

Sent from above

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I think folks are going a bit overboard on this whole thing.  These motors are not cooking oil like a turbo motor can/will.  They are reving to the moon.

My plan for this truck is simple; dealer changes until my free changes are up and then Mobil One 5W30 after that.  $5 a quart plus filter is enough.  

Do you run with AFM enabled? Not questioning your choice of oil brand, I’ve heard more than once about people moving to 5W20 but you’re the only one (but I’m sure there are many) I’ve seen moving to the 5W30. Would you share your reasoning without thinking I’m disputing your choice? I learn something every single day and knowledge is the key to life IMO. Thanks!! 

5 hours ago, 3tspapat said:

and for grumpy bear...excellent info as usual...but first time reading anything you post always makes me scratch my head until there's a bald spot.

Shines the back of my head too. :P

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Yes, My choice to have the best protection available and Amsoil is the best through and through. If buying the best is easily accessible then why not especially in a vehicle that’s got over $10K in upgrades and growing. No such thing now a day a high quality oil costing $3 per quart unless you’re looking at conventional oil even that’s low but to each their own and this is exactly why I NEVER buy used but a line of friends that want mine. I can pull up large sums of videos proclaiming AMSOIL as the best but no need.

Sent from above

$2.40 a quart Pennzoil Platinum, after rebate. Check arrived three weeks later. That bad oil? How about Mobil 1, that bad oil? Same price after rebate, been doing it for two years. Simple. Super Tech 0W20 full Synthetic $16 dollars for five quarts...every....single ...day. 

How long are you running your oil change intervals? 

$2.40 a quart Pennzoil Platinum, after rebate. Check arrived three weeks later. That bad oil? How about Mobil 1, that bad oil? Same price after rebate, been doing it for two years. Simple. Super Tech 0W20 full Synthetic $16 dollars for five quarts...every....single ...day. 

How long are you running your oil change intervals? 

Simple, full synthetic isn’t 100% synthetic. They’re all using the word “synthetic” which did its job, sold you as much as you can carry. Only AMSOIL is 100% synthetic. Ever wonder why race cars from all arenas use 100% synthetic? Cause it’s the only oil that protects their vehicles in extreme conditions. Any other name brand will be the exact same but only 100% synthetic not Full Synthetic. Take some time and look into it, huge difference between the two.

100% Synthetic
4222b2d8f89485b72aab4d0abe35e5e8.jpg

Highest amount synthetic but not even half
e65c06d6664aee2df81fe6befcaa9e60.jpg

Sent from above

And what the hell does this mean “Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil”???

949e84b6fff16bfe0a90949d7b7eee52.jpg

Either it’s 100% synthetic or not. And if it is 100% it should say it but it’s not so that’s why they add all that marketing BS in order to get those that believe everything they see. Full Synthetic could mean they used synthetic in the mixes that’s all.

Sent from above