Gear you keep in your truck

35 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Hope you like Cheese?

And the Packers.

You forgot Beer! Cheeseheads love their beer!

At least he’s starting with a winter capable vehicle. When I got new neighbors from Cali at my old acreage they showed up in two Dodge Neons. First thing I asked them when they said they were from Cali was “you own a 4x4?” NOPE I said “you better get one before winter.” They didn’t I bet I pushed him out of the road and/or their driveway a dozen times that year. Also went and plowed for them several times feeling sorry for them trying to shovel 600ft of driveway with 4’ drifts. Next year they had a 4x SUV and a snowblower...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

That goes without saying.

How about Bratwurst?

Better get a blaze orange coat too ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

How about Bratwurst?

They have regular brats?

I thought they only have Beerbraaats and Beerwurstzzz up theres... 

“you want that with beer mustard, kraut ,and cheese fries RIGHT” 

19 hours ago, EpicLT said:

Thanks @cheyenne383! Great info and I’ll look into that first aid kit. Thanks for the brand recommendation. I will definitely be driving cautiously on the new conditions and hopefully can find an empty parking lot sometime with snow/ice that I can kind of learn to feel my truck more. 

I can say the truck and my wife's burb do great in the conditions... I trust them both to keep us in one piece. Make sure you get some good winter rated tires and be willing to take it easy. Some great advice in this thread, thanks for bringing it up... I may have to make some piece of mind upgrades before next winter!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

They have regular brats?

I thought they only have Beerbraaats and Beerwurstzzz up theres... 

“you want that with beer mustard, kraut ,and cheese fries RIGHT” 

Wild rice and pepper jack Brats are my favorite. Mmmmmmmm

6 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Hope you like Cheese?

And the Packers.

Where are you moving to ?

My Daughter and Son in law lives in Tomah.

As others have said if you don't need to travel when it's nasty out in the winter, dont. When the wind blows the snow it closes roads fast.

Madison area. I plan on avoiding bad conditions if possible. 

I LOVE cheese. And brats. Assuming blaze orange coat for hunting or is that just a Florida requirement. If for hunting, I already have my orange coat and hat :) 

4 hours ago, EpicLT said:

I LOVE cheese. And brats. Assuming blaze orange coat for hunting or is that just a Florida requirement. If for hunting, I already have my orange coat and hat :) 

You'll fit right in. They wear their orange well after the deer hunting season is over.?

Ever see a Packers game on TV when it's cold? It's half orange in the stands ?

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ozer said:

Cellphone and coffee.. on my commutes lol

I don't do anything off road. Not sure why im not driving an econobox instead :dunno:

Because trucks are cool! And the first time you needed it and did not have one would make you upset!

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff already mentioned. Here's what I keep in my extended cab:

Jumper cables, spare towel, hand tools (just two of those Craftsman kits), tow strap, pocket knife; hat, gloves, bibs for winter live in cab. Other miscellaneous items (eg. hitch, grease, shotgun, etc.) all ride in cab. 

Keep spare oil, brake fluid, coolant, WD40, 5 gallon buckets, small carry toolbox, old work boots, other fluids, etc. in the bed. 

Hope this helps and thanks guys, you all reminded me that my tow strap is broken actually ha. 

• Haha 1

On 04/04/2019 at 8:03 PM, wforrest08 said:

At least he’s starting with a winter capable vehicle. When I got new neighbors from Cali at my old acreage they showed up in two Dodge Neons. First thing I asked them when they said they were from Cali was “you own a 4x4?” NOPE I said “you better get one before winter.” They didn’t I bet I pushed him out of the road and/or their driveway a dozen times that year. Also went and plowed for them several times feeling sorry for them trying to shovel 600ft of driveway with 4’ drifts. Next year they had a 4x SUV and a snowblower...

If I lived outside of town, 4x4 would definitely be a requirement here in Canada. In the city, I've gotten by with FWD and snow tires, though. 

I carry: blanket, tire pump, jumper cables, one flashlight and one lamp (both USB-chargeable), QuickCharge 3.0 plug for my phone, two jugs of water, and two pillows and a blanket.

However, if I'm going four-wheeling out in the desert, I add in: brake fluid, coolant, oil, and window washer fluid. All are kept in a crate in my garage until I go out. I also have a deflated mattress with an air blower to sleep in the back of my truck. It's nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you rinse the bottom of your truck frequently and maybe undercoat Epic, they salt the LIVING CRAP out of the roads up there. 

Let's see, in my upper glovebox I have 7 mil Hardy nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight. I absolutely LOVE those. Great for all tasks, especially working on vehicles, and they are right there. Plus as relatively inexpensive as they are I have no issue burning through a box of em. 

Lower glovebox has the owner's manual, my factory headlights, factory valve stem caps, bed hole plugs, Chevy Trucks umbrella from my Dad's old Suburban roadside kit, and a couple microfiber cloths for cleaning screens. 

Center console has the Chevy organizer, which has a full coin organizer, manual dial tire pressure gauge, small Chevy Trucks flashlight, Chevy knife, and a Chevy multi tool (I love Chevy Mall and Chevy Norscot). I also have the key for my hitch receiver lock. That flashlight gets tons of mileage, great for quick looks and inspection. In the front pocket I have 3 Chevy pens, a little Chevy notepad book, and a factory Microsoft charger for my Lumia 640. On the file folder hooks I have three folders. The front folder has my proof of insurance and current registration. The second folder has my window sticker and the RPO printout detailing installed options on my truck. The rear folder has the current year's paperwork related to service information, such as parts invoices and service receipts. On the bottom I have a roll of heavy duty shop towels, a new Chevy first aid kit, an older Chevy Trucks first aid kit (with newer stuff inside) from the Suburban kit, a reconfigurable Chevy Trucks flashlight/lantern, a Chevy power bank with usb cable, and all the albums of my favorite band. Gotta have tunes.

One of my most favorite things I pack along, found in the center console, is Fast Orange wipes. Smooth on one side, scrubbers on the other, these things are GREAT. Amazing way to clean your hands, surfaces, etc etc etc. A fantastic way to clean up on the go. Highly highly highly highly highly recommend. 

In the lower pocket on the back of the console I have a Chevy Trucks 100 years COB light, that bad boy is BRIGHT and fantastic for detailed inspections. I also have a couple of Chevy ice scrapers. Those work well, and since I have a garage at home and a parking garage at work, so a brush is not necessary in my eyes. 

In the left seatback pocket I have old service paperwork and my log for even years, and the odd years go in the right seatback pocket. That way I have a hard copy for reference and I know where they're at. 

Last fall I broke down and snagged a GM underseat storage bin. I was piling up accesories (and then had an excuse to get more :lol: ), it fits the best of the options out there, and it works with my floor liners. I cut a section out on the left side to fit my roadside kit, but otherwise it fits well.

On the right side I have a Curt 10k lb hitch ball mount with a 10k ball in a Chevy Silverado bag, 4 Curt 733 lb blue ratchet straps in a Chevy Silverado bag, and a Curt 9k LB GVW (18k lb break strength) tow strap in a Chevy Trucks bag. With the bags they provide the opportunity to keep stuff clean, and they are licensed too. I'm a sucker for that. The center section has my trusty Chevy sunshade, the fancy thick one. The left side has a Chevy water bottle, fast funnels (https://fastfunnel.com/index.html), a blue Chevy blanket, and my Chevy roadside kit (the fancy one with the bowtie). 

The roadside kit has 6 gauge jumper cables, a hand powered flashlight, grippy gloves, silver duct tape, a couple of bungee cords, zip ties, a 4 way screwdriver, and a pair of pliers. I've added leather Chevy Silverado work gloves, a locking Craftsman crescent wrench, a 24 bit Craftsman ratcheting screwdriver, a medium size pair of Craftsman adjustable pliers, and a roll of the narrow Gorilla tape. 

Sorry to go bonkers, I'm kinda pleased with the lot of stuff I've organized and haven't really shared my full list of stuff. 

• Thanks 2