Why did you buy your GM?

I wanted a truck, and I could get into a well equipped (IMO) Sierra, for far less than a Ford, due in part to the Family First discount.  I was not a fan of the styling on the other available trucks. 

My previous truck was a '08 GMC Canyon, and I was happy enough with that ownership experience.

I am somewhat biased towards GM, because my dad is a long time GM employee.  Their wages paid to keep a roof over my head for many years.  That bias only influences me so far though.  Though my dad was not a fan of the decision, I bought a Mini for my wife to drive, because GM did not have anything that interested my wife at all.

Edited by rkj__

I will not own another brand of truck, period.

Don't care about a lot of things that some seem to make a big deal over.

I want reliability and I think GM has been good to me.

Nothings perfect.

I buy used so all the incentives mean nothing to me.

:)

My Family needed a truck to accommodate are lifestyle.  I choose a 2017 GMC Sierra based on features, look and price, didn't even test drive any competitors.

Coming from an 05' Honda civic bought new 12 years ago.

Not a pickup, but still a Chevy Truck here. Wanted a vehicle that could give me 20yrs/250kmi of flawless service. No brand loyalty, but used to have an 02 Tahoe that was flawless up until the end. It was a Suburban, Toyota Land Cruiser, or Nissan Armada. Suburban was simply the best vehicle for my needs out of the 3, although the Toyota 5.7 is an absolute beast. 

You can't convince me Toyota or Nissan has a better handle on full size trucks. They're new to the game and from what I have seen, still junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

We had three small Toyota’s in the 80s. We loaded the up with fuel tanks, tool boxes, air compressors put about 200K miles on them on pipeline ROWs. They became part runners at our shop, then our teenagers first vehicles couldn’t kill them. We replaced them with diesel trucks when they started coming out in pickups, Toyota didn’t offer. We sold our ROW business went back to half tons never looked at full sized Toyota’s because we like to modify our trucks. Little did I know you could buy Toyota’s modified through TRD with warranty. Little known fact is that Toyota so far has built the quickest production truck to date through TRD. I don’t drink the kool-aid. If I was looking to buy a new truck to keep past 5 years it would be a Toyota. There’s two reasons. One every thing I read has them the most reliable. Two they don’t jump on the band wagon with the latest gadgets and cylinder deactivation non sense. I’ll put three more dollars in the tank not to worry about lifters failure or vacuum pump failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a GM fan for awhile. My first new car was a '00 S10 that lasted me to 250k miles or so. Wifes first new car was a '99 Grand Am. We sold it a few years ago with 310k miles on it. had an '03 Yukon, '04 S10 CC ZR5, '06 TBSS, and a '10 Traverse in there as well. Other cars we've had include an '06 Audi A4, '05 Mazda RX8, '12 Ford Focus, and then some beater/project cars (FC RX7's, E30 BMW's, and a Jeep for about 3 days).

GM has consistently ridden the best balance between reliability, serviceability, and cost. You get a large value in a GM. Total cost of ownership is relatively low when fuel, insurance, maintenance, and repairs are all accounted for. They look nice, run well, and are easy to work on when they do break.

Our Audi was a VERY close second to the GM. It broke half as often, but cost twice as much to fix. It also typically required more specialized tools, a closer look at the service manual, and a little poking around to find the replacement parts. It gave us 185k miles of good service. If Audi made a pickup I probably would have bought that instead of my GMC. If I move back to an SUV, it'll probably be another Audi.

When buying this particular truck I was torn between a pickup and an SUV. I was trading in my '06 Trailblazer SS. I was torn between the '15 GMC SLT Premium Plus I bought, or a nice '15 Durango R/T. Went with the pickup as an attempt to curb some of my speeding and aggressive driving habits. I've also ALWAYS driven lowered/modified vehicles, and was ready to just "drive" something instead of working on it/playing with it. With two small boys, a wife, a house, and a boat, the car hobby needed to cool off for awhile and the pickup showed the least amount of interest in modding/changing/playing with, so I got it.

So Far so good. October will be 2yrs with this truck, and I'm sneaking up on 40k miles of driving in it already. It's treated me pretty well, has great features, is comfy to drive, and works like a swiss army knife for me, doing a little bit of everything/anything I need it to. Hoping I can keep this one another 7yrs and had it to my oldest as his first car. We'll see how that pans out though.

My first vehicle was a 2001 Sierra that ran like a dream until I hit a deer in 2016 (180k miles or so).  I felt some brand loyalty due to the reliability and looks.  I also like that GM's premium pickup engine is normally aspirated.  I didn't want to have to go turbo to get the premium engine like Ford.

• Like 1

IMG_20190312_115358.thumb.jpg.6c9f02a9044dd0c6aabcce6e0ae6506f.jpg20180806_135705.thumb.jpg.121f93e95007a9442bb3af1476a238c1.jpgNo brainer.

I've been drinking the Chevy Kool aid since I was a kid.

I'm Bowtie to the bone.

I've been running Chevy trucks for 40 years. Over 2.6 million miles. I put 410,000 miles on a 86 Scottsdale 305 4x4 1/2 ton back in the late 80s early 90's for one. I bought it a year old and it had 80,000 miles on it. I drove the shit out of that truck almost 100,000 miles a year.

For the most part I've owned  trouble free trucks. No major problems ever.  In 2018 I bought 2 new Silverados, my 15th and 16th Chevy trucks.

The Chevy's may not be the fastest or tow the most but they get the job done day in and day out. I use my trucks for work and they haven't called in sick since I can remember. Its also fun to have the best looking truck on the jobsite.

It didn't hurt to get a killer deal on both trucks too.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 4

Great question, paid $100.00 for my first car, 1973 Vega.

Used more oil than gas, but the resale even then was outstanding on GM products, sold it for $150.00.

GM stands behind their product, whether it be good or bad, that is why I keep coming back.

Plus best looking trucks on the road throughout the years.

• Like 1

Bought mine because the rebates at the time were great, and I knew parts would be readily available, and easier to repair because of the amount information out there on these trucks (I've owned vehicles that were hard to maintain/fix and that got old real quick when things really starting breaking down).

I'm hoping to get 300,000 out of this truck.

• Like 1

I had tried all the other trucks (minus the Titan..) Not brand loyal...

I always wanted to experience GM's big 6.2L engine. Once i saw how the new ones looked like, i was set on the current body style. I couldn't get past the interior of the new ones. 

Edited by gm125800
  • Like 2