Why did you buy your GM?

Father in law (rip) was a GM worker and we still get the employee discount.  Thankfully, I’ve always liked the GM products so it was easy to stick with the GM’s.  I think GM builds great looking vehicles and and a very good quality for the price point.  Of the big three, next for me would be a Ford and based on the rental cars I’ve driven, I hope I never have to own a Chrysler/Dodge product.  

• Like 1

Mine was a mix of generous discounts from GM, resale value (Silverado is expected to have the best of all three).

My last F-150 was really good.. a 2016. Gas mileage was usually around 19 on the highway. I've been getting 26 out of my V8 Silverado.

Aside from electronic gremlins and the back getting jumpy, I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall but I may return to Ford if the new look is better.

Bought a 2012 Ram new and drove it for less than a year.  What a POS.  That ruined future rams for me.  The new ones are ugly and the HEMI is tired.  That left Ford and Chevy as I wont pay the upcharge for a GMC and I would never consider a Toyota or Nissan when it comes to a truck.  I was driving a 17 Expedition EL at the time with the 3.5 Ecoboost and loved it but I needed back into a truck.  I didn't want to get a F150 because Id essentially be trading my Expedition for the same thing but with a bed.  That left the Chevy.  Found a 2017 lifted crew cab with standard bed (that sold me) with only 9k miles on it and scooped it up.  By far the best looking trucks IMO on the road.

Its been great since day one but since day one I have to admit Ive missed the Ecoboost every day.  The 5.3 is a turd compared to the Ford offering. 

I guess it mostly brand loyalty. I almost bought a Tundra and it's a sweet truck. The gas mileage on the Tundra sucks . 

Previous models I've owned;

1989 Silverado z71 reg cab 4wd

1997 Silverado z71 ext cab 2wd(Mistake not to have 4wd)

2006 Silverado z71 ext cab 4wd LT3 (loved this truck)

2018 Silverado z71 6.2l Crew cab LTZ, max tow(Loving this truck)

Edited by ES44AC

53 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

Bought a 2012 Ram new and drove it for less than a year.  What a POS.  That ruined future rams for me.  The new ones are ugly and the HEMI is tired.  That left Ford and Chevy as I wont pay the upcharge for a GMC and I would never consider a Toyota or Nissan when it comes to a truck.  I was driving a 17 Expedition EL at the time with the 3.5 Ecoboost and loved it but I needed back into a truck.  I didn't want to get a F150 because Id essentially be trading my Expedition for the same thing but with a bed.  That left the Chevy.  Found a 2017 lifted crew cab with standard bed (that sold me) with only 9k miles on it and scooped it up.  By far the best looking trucks IMO on the road.

Its been great since day one but since day one I have to admit Ive missed the Ecoboost every day.  The 5.3 is a turd compared to the Ford offering. 

That is what they say 5.3 is a turd!  I would take the L83 any day over a 2.7eb or 3.5eb for use and abuse.  They just simply do not hold together and offer cheaper ownership costs 50k,100k,150k-200k they don't.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

They just simply do not hold together

With that statement you don't have a leg to stand on.  Its simply not true

Either way all that matters is you like what you bought.  I like my Silverado even with the 5.3 turd

This is my second GMC in the last 15 years or so... Just traded a '17 F150 with the eco 2.7 and three oil pan changes and a blown radiator. I have had a lot of trucks/autos/suvs and never had one that took four plastic oil pans. Ford has a real problem with quality. My 5.3 has die cast aluminum oil pan and no water cooled turbos. The ford has some good points, like the handling compared to the GMC. My F150 was in the shop 28 days. There is just no way around that problem. I am not so hot on the chevy look, but i do think the GMC is as sharp as the 150. The inside of the GMC is better, i mean mine has a weather radar feature, a gadget to be sure, but one i like.

I also tend to think the 5.3 will way outlast the 2.7. Maybe twice as long. 

• Like 1

I am not brand loyal.  I needed a 4x4 crew cab truck to replace my aging Toyota Tundra with 250K miles on it.   Great truck!  Just needed/wanted a newer truck when I was fixing to need to put around 4K into it.  It was typical aging parts.  The engine and Transmission in that 2004 Tundra would run forever!

I am about price and the cheapest 4x4 crew cab I could get and as new as I could get.  Searched for months.  A 2018 service loaner came up and I drove 4 hours to go get it.  4x4 Crew Cab work truck base model with towing package, bluetooth, backup camera, and manual transfer case!  All I needed and at the price I wanted!  First ever GM vehicle for me.  Have owned Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota before!  

I look for the best deal with the bare bones essentials that I want and that's what I buy when it comes up.  This GMC happened to be it.  Hoping it gives me 250K like the Tundra did!

Was neck and neck with the Tundra. Could not get past the Toyota MPG though. As for the 5.3 bashers - get over yourselves. That little pseudo 327 SBC is a peach. The 2014 power bump and the 15 forward better throttle mapping make it a solid choice for anyone pulling 6K lbs or less or infrequently. With a catback exhaust/CAI and hp tune, I run heads up with new 5.7 hemis and still pull better mpg. And it won't brake the bank to repair comparatively. 

• Like 1

I wanted something relatively inexpensive, proven reliability, with capabilities that I am unlikely to outgrow, so crew std bed 6.0 2500HD work truck.

Went 3/4 ton since tough to find a base crew 1500 and with 3/4 ton you get 4.10's, locker, massive payload and towing capacity, cooling capacity, e rated tires, full floater, stronger front end, and AFM delete even in the base model.

Price.  $24k for a '16 CCSB 4x4 LT with warranty until 2022.  Was actually on the way to put a down payment on a Ram when I passed it at the local Chevy dealership.  Apples to apples, I'd take the Ram; I miss my '14, quite the beast.  Hemi and the 8 speed would eat the '16, but it's a truck not a damn sports car.  I sold my F150; I've done enough full timing jobs, IWEs, hubs, FPDMs, throttle bodies and frame repairs on Fords to make me never consider one again.  I'm not brand loyal to a company that has no loyalty to the customer (i.e. every company), yet 3 of my 5 vehicles are GMs.  Yeah, this '16 is gonna stick around for a while.  I'd love it if the body was aluminum like the Ford, but can't have everything.