EVAP systems - how many different types? 2000 Silverado

13 hours ago, riverbanks said:

What do you mean"they can't"?,that's like saying,I can't change your used tire

They can’t hack something together that may or may not work. They have a reputation to keep. Plus they don’t want to do it twice. 

I can understand that.  

Edited by SC Tiger

Ok - this is odd.

Still don't have the solenoid wired into the truck (waiting on the plug from Amazon).  Yet, I drove it 40 miles and the Check Engine light has not come on yet.  I still plan to fix it properly but this is strange.  It was rather cool this morning.  

I also now thing I might have actually broken the wires when pulling out the solenoid.  They look chewed up but it is possible I broke them as I kinda had to yank the solenoid out by the tube attached to it.  How much wire is there between the "main harness" in that area and the plug?

Will wire the solenoid back in and see what happens.  If I need a new one, I'll get it then.

This is the part, isn't it?

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-1091-Original-Equipment-Canister/dp/B000C9I8PS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=evap+solenoid&pd_rd_r=fedffd5d-6cb2-4837-b8a3-e7de87a143fe&pd_rd_w=UuseX&pd_rd_wg=48Sdd&pf_rd_p=a3978073-1659-4459-9864-85fa319939df&pf_rd_r=4FZ1G08419KBHCPE869Q&pid=3Tb9Evv&qid=1561992923&s=gateway&sr=1-1&vehicle=2000-47-491------------&vehicleName=2000+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500

Edited by SC Tiger

17 hours ago, sefiroxx said:

Good find on the fpr. The diaphragm had gone so fuel leaked to the intake.

Was actually tipped off on that here.  In a thread someone posted that as a possible cause for a misfire, but unlikely since the guy was getting a "lean misfire".  I realized I was getting a "rich misfire" and decided to take a peek.  

Bingo.

Look up the part ACDelco 214-2341, do you have this thing clipped to your fuel tank anywhere?   This was the version BEFORE they switched to a relocated system, and is what i had on my 06, not sure if it was different back in 2000. A dealer quoted me a ton to replace it, even the auto parts store said i had to buy the 130 dollar version, but that part can be had for 14 bucks online plus less than 10 dollars worth of hearer hose and clamps.

also side note, did you check to see if u had power running to the valve solenoid, as well as the purge solenoid under the hood? That’s the other common thing to pop the code.

9 hours ago, khays said:

Look up the part ACDelco 214-2341, do you have this thing clipped to your fuel tank anywhere?   This was the version BEFORE they switched to a relocated system, and is what i had on my 06, not sure if it was different back in 2000. A dealer quoted me a ton to replace it, even the auto parts store said i had to buy the 130 dollar version, but that part can be had for 14 bucks online plus less than 10 dollars worth of hearer hose and clamps.

also side note, did you check to see if u had power running to the valve solenoid, as well as the purge solenoid under the hood? That’s the other common thing to pop the code.

Mine has the one before that which was an all-in-one system (kind of a rectangular thing).  Vapor line goes from the canister to this thing and I guess it is the vent control.  My guess is it's in the closed position because after working on it the code went away for ~80 miles.  On mine it sat on top of the tank and was a bitch to get to.  Wound up taking the bracket loose and pulling it out by the hard plastic hose (which is why I think I may have broken the wires rather than them being chewed, though there were bite marks on the plastic clip).  I had to go Cro-Magnon on it a little bit.

Heater hose and clamps are already in place.  I didn't want to leave the canister open while I waited on the pigtail to replace the plug.  My multimeter died but before it did it did detect power to the wires.

I'm not sure why the new setup is better but I'll probably go back with what I had.  Easier to relocate.

Found this picture on another forum - this shows where it was (though I didn't take the bed off):

Evap Solenoid layout.JPG

Not chasing the purge solenoid yet.

This also appears to show that there is a length of wire that is supposed to be between the main harness body and the plug for the solenoid.  In my case it is missing.  That lends credence to the idea that a rodent chewed the wires and therefore that the broken wire might be the issue.  We shall see. 

Edited by SC Tiger