Bent Pushrod in 2015 Silverado 6.2l - Undetermined repair time

• 3 weeks later...

The beat goes on.  The original repairs held together for our road trip to Oregon, pulling a 27' travel trailer, but there was a loud repetitive clicking noise at idle, like the sound of the fan solenoid cycling on and off.  That stopped after about 10 days, but was replaced by a cloud of white exhaust at startup.  I returned the truck to the dealer yesterday, and, get this, there's now a coolant leak in the head gasket on the opposite side of the engine from where the pushrod and lifters were replaced.  And, of course, the f'ing head gasket is on nationwide backorder!  So once again, travel plans for one week from today are held hostage by GM corporate bullshit, over-managing parts inventories.  I love this truck, but I hate these problems and GM's inability to provide anything resembling timely warranty repair service.

1 hour ago, Dean "Deano" Rappleye said:

The beat goes on.  The original repairs held together for our road trip to Oregon, pulling a 27' travel trailer, but there was a loud repetitive clicking noise at idle, like the sound of the fan solenoid cycling on and off.  That stopped after about 10 days, but was replaced by a cloud of white exhaust at startup.  I returned the truck to the dealer yesterday, and, get this, there's now a coolant leak in the head gasket on the opposite side of the engine from where the pushrod and lifters were replaced.  And, of course, the f'ing head gasket is on nationwide backorder!  So once again, travel plans for one week from today are held hostage by GM corporate bullshit, over-managing parts inventories.  I love this truck, but I hate these problems and GM's inability to provide anything resembling timely warranty repair service.

Have you opened a claim with GM yet, just in case you pursue the truck being bought back/lemon law?

If not, do so and raise hell to at least get a truck to drive for your vacation.

Just remember, if you throw the Lemon Law threat out there first, they will call your bluff and tell you to go ahead and file with the state and get a attorney.

Buy back, or trade allowance will work a lot better.

Edited by JimCost2014

The lemon law in Washington State provides for arbitration for the first 30 months after delivery...my vehicle is beyond that point.  As for a replacement truck, the last time (the pushrod and lifter replacement) they were willing to provide a rental at their expense PROVIDED THAT THE RENTAL WAS A GM PRODUCT.  At the time, the local rental outlets had no suitable GM vehicles available, so their offer was like giving me the sleeves from their vest.

I have two L86 head gaskets for sell in the classified section for 80 bucks.  This would mean you would have to buy them but your truck could be back on the road.

Just went through this back order when I did my cam swap and DOD delete.  So I have an extra set from TSP.

21 minutes ago, Dean "Deano" Rappleye said:

The lemon law in Washington State provides for arbitration for the first 30 months after delivery...my vehicle is beyond that point.  As for a replacement truck, the last time (the pushrod and lifter replacement) they were willing to provide a rental at their expense PROVIDED THAT THE RENTAL WAS A GM PRODUCT.  At the time, the local rental outlets had no suitable GM vehicles available, so their offer was like giving me the sleeves from their vest.

Is it the dealership providing the loaners, or GM itself.

I would be on the phone (time permitting) with Chevy customer service letting them know what is going on, and that you are not happy.

This is speaking from experience with both a trade allowance (my 14) and a full buy out/back (my 16) which had a broken push rod, and then multiple problems with the brand new replacement engine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:33 AM, Dean "Deano" Rappleye said:

Hi...I'm new to this forum and hope you guys can help me with your experiences.  My 2015 Silverado LTZ with 6.2l engine developed the dreaded bent pushrod at 26k miles.  It's at the dealer now, has been since last Wednesday (it's Saturday now).  I called them yesterday for an ETA on repairs and they told me that it could take several weeks due to a shortage of pushrods!  They went on to say that GM had zero of them in stock, and there are only two dealers in the entire US that have one each, which are probably spoken for, for a customer's repair.  Sounds like bullshit, but that's what they told me.  It seems to me that they're still building these motors, so they should certainly have pushrods, and should make them available for warranty customers at least.

The truck being my third vehicle, ordinarily the wait time would be irritating but tolerable, BUT I have vacation plans in less than two weeks that will involve pulling my 27' travel trailer for a thousand miles or so.  I have deposits and reservations at a dozen RV parks, and we will be caravaning with friends.

So, my question to you is: What remedies, if any, can I expect from GM under these circumstances?  Is there anything in the warranty about taking a reasonable time for repairs?  Can I expect a replacement vehicle for repair jobs of long duration?  If there are no replacement vehicles, can I expect compensation for a rental?  If none of these are available, can I sue to recapture the cost of renting a replacement tow vehicle?

ok so there was a nation back order of parts for the engines, head gaskets, etc etc and it has trickled into alot of other models and parts. what the dealer has told you is the truth. i had to wait 3.5 weeks to get a steering gear for a warranty replacement on a truck. the truck sat on the lot til i go one in through parts. 

alot of dealerships will give you a loaner vehicle if you prefer , but typically they ask you dont go out of state with it or what have you. these are retired at 4000 miles and sold on lot as demos 

if you chose to get a rental on your own and you request gm to reimburse you for it, just keep all paper work. and fight it with gm.