2019 Interior what’s the problem?

After a year of watching every, and literally (the old English use of the word) YouTube videos and reviews on the new RAM and the Chevy/GMC lines.

I candidly do not understand what every auto journalists problem is with the New Chevy trucks interior.  

Now am looking at or discussing High Country, Denali, and AT4 interiors.  The perforated leather seats are comfortable.  The padding is not to hard.  The interior is great.  You know your not in a $100K+ Mercedes of even a $65K+ Merc.

Although the door soft touch materials are fine.  The center console is softer than the doors and great for an arm rest.  The phone holder in the middle arm rest is far enough from the end that it will never be in the way.  The controls are easily layed out and maybe even considerably more ergonomicly than the RAM.

Have a loaded with every option Acura MDX.  The Chevy/GMC interior on the high end trims is damn near identical in quality overall.  MDX might not be a high end luxury vechile. Might be a rung below some of the German options; but my time in the vechicles today do not warrant the bad press.

Chevy now only if you would do adaptive suspension on the High Country :)  Like you used to!

Edited by Elpresidente
  • Like 4

I could not agree more. When my wife was looking for a new car, comparing the Acura to a Traverse was a no brainer. Had wayyy more standard options and some that just were not available on the Acura.  

GMs current interior is miles better than the plastic fantastic GMT900 days from less than a decade ago. But in all fairness all pickups, RAMs and Fords were terrible at the time, we’ve come a long way. I remember looking at lightly used LTZ Silverados and there was not a single one without the AC controls peeling off. IMO a truck interior should feel solid and durable foremost and I think GM nailed it with a more utilitarian interior of the T1xx. I’d like to see those new RAMs after another 3-5 years of (ab)use, something tells me they won’t hold up as well as GMs but only time will tell...

Edited by tinbad
  • Like 1

I dont get it either.  The 2019 HC interior is leaps and bounds over my 2010.  

Everyone complains about GM interiors, like they have never been in any other automobile other than a high end $500K car.  

Yep.  All I kept hearing is how uncomfortable the interior is, particularly the armrest.  They ought to try driving a 2011 Ford Focus.  I had a piece of plastic for an armrest and rattles everywhere.  This thing is way better than even my FILs 16 Sierra Denali (which he just traded for a 19 Sierra Denali). 

The journos need something to bitch about so people will watch. Doug Demuro is known for that. Gave the Sierra Denali 6.2 a terrible score because he doesn't see how it's a fun vehicle and thinks the acceleration is weak. Compared to a Ferrari, sure.  Compared to a normal car, these trucks are comfortable and a blast to drive. Burnout city.

Ah, give these auto journalists a break.  Every week some manufacturer is flying them to some product intro where they get to drive the top of the line model in controlled conditions.  Drive a new car, maybe multiple times per week, and rate the latest and greatest from every manufacturer on an ongoing basis....yeah not every vehicle may have the auto butt wipers.  BUT if you are a normal consumer who trades, upgrades every few years and new car smell isn't an everyday experience....these trucks are a step up.  I've had GMT800's, 900's, and now the K series.  If and when I get a new 19+ T series I expect there will be some improvements.  

With that said there are a couple of things GM should bring back that were on older vehicles.  Adjustable pedals for one and an underhood light as well.  Otherwise I think I'll manage in a GM product.  First GM truck was a 79 with a 250 straight six, vinyl seats, AM radio, no power anything.  Yeah things have changed since then.

The main thing I'm interested in is a vehicle I can spend my time driving, not nursing back and forth to the dealer for issues and problems.  That's what makes a pleasurable ownership experience for me.

Edited by Foghorn17
  • Like 1

Honestly best way to watch these videos is listening to the facts on how things operate. Listen to engine note and watch for things that interest you. (I like shots of the undercarriage) to know if there is drain plugs, skid plates, etc. And what ever they said boils down to personal preference. Seat comfort going to differ between 6ft 300lbs person and 5ft 120lbs person. My wife think her CR-V is super comfortable. Maybe to her but she is almost a foot shorter than me.

I think part of the problem in comparisons is apple to apple. Can't compare an '05 to a '19 or an Acura car to a '19 Silverado. Personaly I'll take my '18 interior over a '19 any day. Had a '19 loaner for a day. Interior was boring! Granted, it was an LT but I did not like it. Especially don't like the way they changed the trim around the infotainment and vents. Make the screen look smaller.

I'm not a huge fan of the look of the 2019 interior, I feel the K2 had a more cohesive design, but from a materials perspective, I think the T1 is fine. There's plenty of soft-touch materials and even the new Ram interior, which is lauded by the press and internet alike, still has a good amount of hard plastic if you really feel around. 

So, could the T1 interior have been better? Of course.

Is it as bad as some people make it out to be? No. 

Where GM really dropped the ball was the lack of tech. Why wasn't adaptive cruise available right from the start? The HUD should be a standalone option for RST and above, instead of bundling it with the technology package. The removal of some small, but key features people had gotten used to, like power adjustable pedals and the sunglasses holder, were also a dumb move on GM's part. 

• Like 1

I think they watch each other’s reviews and decide there are certain things as “experts” they’re supposed to draw conclusions about...like the GM interior. If most don’t like it, I probably shouldn’t either otherwise I’ll lose credibility as an automotive journalist.  It’s amazing how many reviews (not just trucks) are almost identical.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CRApex said:

I think they watch each other’s reviews and decide there are certain things as “experts” they’re supposed to draw conclusions about...like the GM interior. If most don’t like it, I probably shouldn’t either otherwise I’ll lose credibility as an automotive journalist.  It’s amazing how many reviews (not just trucks) are almost identical.

+1  Groupthink!  You nailed it.

32 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Especially don't like the way they changed the trim around the infotainment and vents. Make the screen look smaller.

Nailed it. 

Perception is reality for so many buyers. GM really brought the criticism on themselves for molding the trim to draw your attention to the center screen. It’s a great, super responsive 8” screen, but the trim angles make it look small. 

The K2 stack initially looks better because the molding makes it look big and defers attention away from it. Or at least not directly TO it. 

After 4 months with my T1 interior, I really like it. Super responsive and easy to find everything. I honestly looked at an F150, but there were so. many. buttons. for every little thing. Just made it look confusing and cheap. 

And if I wanted an iPad in my car, I would have bought a Tesla. Not a truck. No thanks, RAM. Looks good, but not for me. 

Totally agree with all of this.  Everyone that has been in my High Country compliments the seats (have the two-tone brown and black) and how great the radio sounds.  I use Apple CarPlay most of the time, when I looked at the Ram 12" screen with CarPlay running, it only used 1/2 of the screen, what Ram calls the "top card" and the "bottom card" is used for something else, nav/phone/climate, etc.  Seemed like a waste of space to me.  Oh, and the head up display in the tech package rocks, too.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I was not a fan of all of the western cowboy leatherwork in the Ram interior - that great big embroidered "Limited" logo on the center console does absolutely nothing for me.  I much prefer the simple look of the GM interior.

I think part of the problem in comparisons is apple to apple. Can't compare an '05 to a '19 or an Acura car to a '19 Silverado. Personaly I'll take my '18 interior over a '19 any day. Had a '19 loaner for a day. Interior was boring! Granted, it was an LT but I did not like it. Especially don't like the way they changed the trim around the infotainment and vents. Make the screen look smaller.

Did you just say part of the problem is “apple to apple” then compared your ‘18 LTZ interior to a ‘19 LT?

[emoji1787]