I think people not knowing shows just how nice DFM really is. I couldn't tell if I tried. Between that and the wonderful 8 speed tranny, coupled with the gas mileage I'm getting, I say leave well enough alone. And, as mentioned above, enjoy the ride;)

• Like 3

On 8/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, MacLaren said:

I think people not knowing shows just how nice DFM really is. I couldn't tell if I tried. Between that and the wonderful 8 speed tranny, coupled with the gas mileage I'm getting, I say leave well enough alone. And, as mentioned above, enjoy the ride;)

yeah,  what he ^^^^^ said...

• Like 1

Thanx Matty Patty!

Great video.

GM has a real winner with this new DFM & 8 Speed Tranny.

I have a little over 2,300 miles, my overall average is now 19.6 mpg! That's awesome.

After filling up last, I've driven about 100 miles and my average on this tank is 22mpg and, that's all rural no interstate driving. 

• Thanks 1

I totally disagree with the engineer in the video - I think showing the information similar to what he has on his little silver box on the DIC would be easy and just as cool as seeing what angle my truck is at, or how much air filter life I have left...  I wish this was available.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

I totally disagree with the engineer in the video - I think showing the information similar to what he has on his little silver box on the DIC would be easy and just as cool as seeing what angle my truck is at, or how much air filter life I have left...  I wish this was available.

I think the issue is getting the average Joe to understand what they’re seeing onscreen without the driver thinking something is wrong, becoming information overload or worse yet turning them into a distracted driver. I think going from a consistent deactivation pattern to something more random, for lack of better words, is what ended the display onscreen.

Maybe GM will figure out a way to translate it to a more easy to understand form & bring back the cylinder count in the future. They’ve got their hands full right now fine tuning things & dealing with the previously unplanned midcycle refresh then development for T2 will be coming up soon.

Most likely another reason it is not displayed is because if you could see all the cylinder changes you would also start to feel when it changes. If you dont know it's doing it you are less likely to notice the "feeling" of the different dfm modes. I honestly rarely felt the dfm activate before I put a exhaust on. Now with the exhaust I can not only hear when dfm kicks in I can also feel the slight vibrations of it changing   cylinders.

There was nothing but bitching about the driveability of the last version of AFM. Thread after thread about how to work with it or defeat it.

I'm also in the camp that thinks that not being able to tell it is active is excellent news.

It was probably likely one of the design/development targets.

Did I read there are 18 modes it can operate in?

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, Chris Callanan said:

Any chance you remember which video it was?  Searching TFL's stuff and can't seem to find it.

Anytime your not at wot or under load dfm is working. There's too many variations as to which cylinder's run under different driving conditions to have a readout of how it's performing. It probably wouldn't even be a second before it switched off to a different combination. Which is also why you can't feel it. All you feel is the constant changing of operational cylinders, which is the only feeling you know. Where as with afm there was only V8 and v4; you either had full torque or half of it.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 12:51 AM, Chris Callanan said:

I also totally disagree with the engineer that there is no excess wear and tear on the lifters and pushrods!  What a crock!  All in the name of ONE mile per gallon.  One word.  Pulsar LT. 

I can sometimes barely feel the lugging when driving at a constant speed. I assume this I'd the DFM. I have an average of about 20 mpg for 20,000 miles so far. I do idle an hour or two everyday at work. I get 22 to 24 mpg on trips, even got 27 mpg on flat roads going 60mph. I got the 5.3 4x4 crew cab. In my last 3 work trucks were v6 not ecoboost single cab 2wd f150 I got 12 to 17mpg. So considering I have a crew cab, v8, and 4x4 and always beat the mileage that I would get in v6 ford I would say DFM works pretty well. I estimate I will save over $8,000 in fuel costs going from Ford 3.3 to chevy 5.3 over 200,000 miles.

Edited by Adamace1