Bilstein 5100 release date

JimTX

30 minutes ago, vancealot29 said:

So, I was quoted something like $350 for a 2 inch front level with alignment.  Will these new shocks do the same?  How much more $ are you talking?  I have no problem waiting if that is the case.

Thanks for the info!

I got a $680 quote for a 1.5 level installed with alignment. I need to call a few other shops. 

But the shocks themselves are about $110 each. That's about the price of a quality leveling kit, so why not add another $110 and get a much improved ride over the Ranchos WITH a level. 

5100 Leveling Shocks can go up to 2.75", I believe. 

3 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I got a $680 quote for a 1.5 level installed with alignment. I need to call a few other shops. 

But the shocks themselves are about $110 each. That's about the price of a quality leveling kit, so why not add another $110 and get a much improved ride over the Ranchos WITH a level. 

5100 Leveling Shocks can go up to 2.75", I believe. 

Thank you, good info.

I looked back at my notes, and the quote for the 2 inch level with alignment was $399.

So, ~$220ish for the parts, do you have an idea of what the quoted install time is for the labor charge, or is this something simple enough that I can do in my garage?  I would assume the labor charge would be at least two hours, or another ~$200 on top.  Is an alignment still necessary on top of that?

Sorry for all the Q's, but this just seems like a better bang for my (400) buck(s).

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, vancealot29 said:

Thank you, good info.

I looked back at my notes, and the quote for the 2 inch level with alignment was $399.

So, ~$220ish for the parts, do you have an idea of what the quoted install time is for the labor charge, or is this something simple enough that I can do in my garage?  I would assume the labor charge would be at least two hours, or another ~$200 on top.  Is an alignment still necessary on top of that?

Sorry for all the Q's, but this just seems like a better bang for my (400) buck(s).

Thanks for the help!

I think it's definitely better bang for your buck, especially if you have the Ranchos. The Bilsteins up front will perform much better. So, yeah, why not spend 25-30% more and get a better long-term product? 

You'll need an alignment if you go with the Bilsteins, yes. I'm sure you can install them yourself if you have the right tools and a little mechanical know-how. There's a few YouTube videos out there showing how to do this. It's a little more complicated than just putting a leveling block in, that's for sure. 

9 hours ago, SamDSJR said:

So my truck is a Max Tow Package truck. Do you think this will modify my GVWR? I would think that the springs & the larger axle have more to do with that than the shocks. Thoughts?

The shocks won’t affect your GVWR or weight carrying capacity in any way. 

11 hours ago, econometrics said:

The Bilsteins up front will perform much better. So, yeah, why not spend 25-30% more and get a better long-term product? 

I had a set of Bilsteins front/rear on my previous truck (‘09 taco) for 9-10 years of abuse and they held up great. 

Can’t comment with longevity on a full size truck, but anything HALF as good as on a mid-size = amazing. 

On 8/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, Sin City Trail Boss said:

Interesting.

How will the 5100s compare to my stock Z71 Rancho shocks that come with the Trail Boss?

Installed Bilsteins on my 2014 Ext cab. Did not like them thought too much compression damping. If I wear out the Ranchos on my 2019 will replace with same. Am very happy with the ride and want to keep it that way.

yeah I talked to eibach today and their pro truck sport shocks are available now, but not springs....jan for those, and june for coilover kit....still good deal, I am 20 miles away from them so I cant escape tax....still debating between kings

the sales guy said ride quality isn't effected at all however you set ride height on fronts but find it hard to believe

snuff are you just gonna run stock springs with yours?

the stock suspension really does suck on these trucks, even on concrete freeway, cant imagine if I actually took it offroad

Edited by Dunn

On 12/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, Hobey said:

How much can you tow with a Max PKG ??....thanks?

My configuration is 11,400lbs. 2019 5.3 w/Max Tow, 3.42, 4x4, 8-Speed tranny, Crew Cab Short Bed, 18" rims.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:17 AM, Dunn said:

yeah I talked to eibach today and their pro truck sport shocks are available now, but not springs....jan for those, and june for coilover kit....still good deal, I am 20 miles away from them so I cant escape tax....still debating between kings

the sales guy said ride quality isn't effected at all however you set ride height on fronts but find it hard to believe

snuff are you just gonna run stock springs with yours?

the stock suspension really does suck on these trucks, even on concrete freeway, cant imagine if I actually took it offroad

Yes - I am going to run stock springs and see how it goes.

Edited by Snuff
  • Like 1