New "Top Notch" interiors?

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yeah, the blank switches were a buzz kill so I paid up to avoid them. Otherwise I think there are some definite improvements in the T1 interiors that you are overlooking. Rather than one big slab of black rubber, the dash is now broken up by a separate piece around the radio and the tray above. It’s more detailed looking to me. Door panels are also better finished with more stitching and stuff to break up the black rubber. Also, the K2 LT trucks did not even have stitching around the dash vents and center stack, just black rubber, and now they do at least.

Life changing improvements, no. But you may wind up disappointed either way as I am willing to bet the volume trims are going to carry this interior, more or less how you see it, no matter what.

Articles are making it seem like GM did an about-face on this interior and can’t get rid of it fast enough. I just don’t believe that to be true. They knew from the start how it would be received in the expensive trims. They had to. So the only logical thing is that they had bigger plans for the higher trims that wouldn’t have been ready in time. This does NOT mean all of the trucks are getting a total gut job because car and driver didn’t like it.

I think the Tahoe interiors are going to be a good indication of what's to come. Optional in RST and Trailboss and standard on the LTZ and HC. Current interior I saw in the LT and Elevation was work truck grade, perhaps the LTZ with it's minor improvements will slide down to the LT. Like the work truck interiors on the the GMT900s, then the upgraded interior and a Denali interior.  Upgraded interior was almost the same as the Denali with the console being different and cheaper.  

I do like a lot about the t1xx and could see myself getting one some day, I just think a next gen vehicle should be better in every way, styling being the difference.  Didn't happen here, not yet. Sounds like they're fixing or updating the suspension for 20 and interiors for 21.  

I was very hopeful on the 19s but when it got leaked GM was bragging about the cost cutting to investors and how much cheaper they would be to build I got worried. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

We'll just have to agree to diagree.

But, one thing I know for sure, are the seats are wonderful. On a 6 hour drive I felt very fresh. 

As for the gauge cluster, I love the 19.

The 18 looks gimmicky and tacky to boot. 

As for the ride, far better than any 18 I've drove and most reviewers that I've saw say that right off the bat. Of course, mine is an LT. 

2014-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Crew-Cab-4

new-2019-chevrolet-silverado_1500-4wdcre

I assure you, the Z71 in 2018 rides a lot better.  I recently switched to Bilstein's which are too firm for my taste but the x31 I had for a few days was very harsh. 

Edited by Yondu
  • Like 2

I hear ya. I think working with what they have they could make some minor improvements for the volume trims without breaking their bank. I’m thinking a little more detailing on the center stack, and elimination of blanks by just using larger buttons on lesser equipped trucks (like the K2s, sigh) would probably about do it. The equipment levels and materials are already pretty good, especially with the All Star package. Heated seats and wheel are a nice touch in that package.

All told, the LT makes a good value statement and it’s interior is pretty darn close to the Big Horny or whatever the volume trim Ram is. A couple extra details would bring it right there or above it. The disparity has been most apparent in the top end trims. I am happy with my LTZ and everyone is impressed with it, but I am also not blind to what it could be with some effort and a little more cash from GM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I hear ya. I think working with what they have they could make some minor improvements for the volume trims without breaking their bank. I’m thinking a little more detailing on the center stack, and elimination of blanks by just using larger buttons on lesser equipped trucks (like the K2s, sigh) would probably about do it. The equipment levels and materials are already pretty good, especially with the All Star package. Heated seats and wheel are a nice touch in that package.

All told, the LT makes a good value statement and it’s interior is pretty darn close to the Big Horny or whatever the volume trim Ram is. A couple extra details would bring it right there or above it. The disparity has been most apparent in the top end trims. I am happy with my LTZ and everyone is impressed with it, but I am also not blind to what it could be with some effort and a little more cash from GM.

I think with the t1xx they built a better truck but left a lot of meat on the bone for improvements. The 18 k2xx was as good as that gen (really dating back to  2007) could ever be. Which is why I went with the 18. 

I never drove a 14-17 and there were a lot of minor tweaks and improvements from my research. 

Didn't mean to piss in anyone's Wheaties.  The more people complain and vote with their wallet by buying Ford's and Rams the better the T1xx will be. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, Snuff said:

I love my 2019 truck and the interior is the nicest truck I have had. If it ain’t good enough for you buy a damn car. I am so tired of reading about the “crappy GM Interior”.

I've been buying Chevy trucks for over 40 years!

This isn't the 70's. I expect top notch for a sticker of 60K!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yondu said:

I assure you, the Z71 in 2018 rides a lot better.  I recently switched to Bilstein's which are too firm for my taste but the x31 I had for a few days was very harsh. 

Mine rides much much better than the 18 I drove lol.  And, thanx for the pic, you really have proved my point on the gauge. 

Edit

Is there really any point you and I going back and forth with this again?

You like the 18

I like the 19

Why dont we just leave it at that?

Edited by MacLaren

On 8/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, Yondu said:

IMHO the 2019 is easier to read. The 2018 speedo looks crowded. Plus I don't care for chrome rings and bling, but that's just my taste.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Mine rides much much better than the 18 I drove lol.  And, thanx for the pic, you really have proved my point on the gauge. 

Edit

Is there really any point you and I going back and forth with this again?

You like the 18

I like the 19

Why dont we just leave it at that?

You're too much man. You're really going to toss some insults and knocks and in the same response say let's stop going back and forth and why don't we just leave it at that?

I'm a realist on things and there's things I like and dislike on my truck, yours, Ford's and Rams  I have a feeling everything you have is the best. It's not even a discussion with you.  

So yeah, let's just move on. 

12 hours ago, Yondu said:

You're too much man. You're really going to toss some insults and knocks and in the same response say let's stop going back and forth and why don't we just leave it at that?

I'm a realist on things and there's things I like and dislike on my truck, yours, Ford's and Rams  I have a feeling everything you have is the best. It's not even a discussion with you.  

So yeah, let's just move on. 

Whatever makes you feel good and strong Yondu. 

But, just remember, your the one with the 2018 over here in the 2019 forum talkin shit.

That says volumes my friend. 

Btw, I never intended to insult you Yondu. I just stated facts ole buddy. 

For instance you come over to the 2019 forum telling everyone that your 2018 most assuredly drives better than the 2019 models. Telling everyone how bad the gauge cluster looks, and going as far to use visual aids ( pics ) to help drive home that point!  Man, I really am starting to believe that whatever you have is truly is the best. You wanna make sure us 19 owners no what time it is eh??

When, I in fact i drove a new 2018 and found the 2019 to drive much, much better. And actually prefer the 2019 cluster. If that insulted you, then I apologize. 

Edited by MacLaren

things i like about my 19 interior vs 16 interior

push button start

electronic parking break

rear hvac vents

better materials

single section rear floor mat

carplay is less buggy

things i dislike

charging ports on the dash instead of armrest

prefer the cruise buttons setup in the 16

smaller screen for the same package

missing sunglass holder

smaller storage cubby (i dont need the "hidden" backseat storage)

the wiper selection is a downgrade in design

i liked my z71 gauges and door plates

Edited by Belo
  • Thanks 1

I am sick of hearing RAM has the best interior.  I suppose for a mall crawler in Florida they are the best.  Try using any of the touch screen stuff while wearing gloves.  I really like the interior of my '19 coming from a '13.  Huge improvement.

• Like 1

I get into my AT4 after a day of fishing, I load my dogs into the back, My granddaughter gets ice cream all over the back seat.

It's top notch enough for me. None of these things happen in my Corvette, and that interior isn't much better, but it works.

It's a nice truck, but it's still a truck, not a

luxury SUV with a bed in the back.

Edited by FDHog
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 8:02 PM, UncleDave said:

IMHO the 2019 is easier to read. The 2018 speedo looks crowded. Plus I don't care for chrome rings and bling, but that's just my taste.

I've use both clusters in my '16 Z71 and '19 RST and was one reason why I preferred the '19.

The '16 required constant button switching between screens to get info, a real PITA, not so with the '19. The above '19 screens are not fully populated with all the info available on the '19s home screen......now I have all the info without switching screens: speed, odometer, posted speed limit, clock, compass, remaining mileage, transfer case status, tranny gear.....and at night it doesn't have the annoying glare from the backlighting frequently mentioned in older posts coming from the chrome surrounding the gauges. I miss the carbon fiber background, but that was only in the Zs anyway.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:14 PM, Yondu said:

The new gauge clusters in the Sierra and Silverado are just horrible. Not sure if it’s the font or the LCD graphics or what but I can’t believe how bad they look. The cluster found in the HC and Denali are fine but the others are very disappointing. 

ETA: I also have an 18 Sierra SLT Z71. I personally think it rides like garbage. It’s waaay too soft in my opinion. I drove a AT4 and preferred the way it drove much more. I wish I could get a TB with all the features of the AT4. I’m really torn right now as I don’t want to upgrade to a different truck unless I get everything I want, yet I don’t want to continue to throw money at a payment for a truck that I don’t really love. 

Edited by spizike9