Anyone try a K & N filter?

I bought a new KN filter for my 19, 5.3 . I installed and hoping to get better throttle response and a mile or two better mpg. I was surprised when my mpg dropped from 16 to the 12’s !  Didn’t notice any better performance either. Anyone else try this? I ran it for one tank then pulled it out, after another tank and original filter back in mpg went back to 16. 

• Like 1

The day a drop in air filter gives better throttle response and more mpg is the day I eat my shorts.

Why your fuel mileage tanked because of a filter change is beyond me but it surely isn't going to give anything for magic gains.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

The day a drop in air filter gives better throttle response and more mpg is the day I eat my shorts.

Why your fuel mileage tanked because of a filter change is beyond me but it surely isn't going to give anything for magic gains.

Yes, the day they add fuel mileage I'll buy 2.

Anyone try the ne GM Performance air filter? 

A friend got one, its made in Canada.

Not oiled or cleanable

Upgrade the performance of your vehicle with this GMC Performance Replacement Air Filter. Rigorously tested for durability, long-term efficiency, and seamless integration, the filter has been tested to reduce airflow restriction by up to 10% at 330-g/s, providing increased performance both on and off road. Built with a performance appearance, this drop-in replacement filter contains 5 less filter pleats, which allows for an increase in airflow performance, and boasts a filter efficiency of 99.5% when tested to ISO5011. This filter requires no additional calibration and does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

84544586_Alternate1.jpgspacer.png

Edited by elcamino
add pic

52 minutes ago, elcamino said:

Anyone try the ne GM Performance air filter? 

A friend got one, its made in Canada.

Not oiled or cleanable

Upgrade the performance of your vehicle with this GMC Performance Replacement Air Filter. Rigorously tested for durability, long-term efficiency, and seamless integration, the filter has been tested to reduce airflow restriction by up to 10% at 330-g/s, providing increased performance both on and off road. Built with a performance appearance, this drop-in replacement filter contains 5 less filter pleats, which allows for an increase in airflow performance, and boasts a filter efficiency of 99.5% when tested to ISO5011. This filter requires no additional calibration and does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

84544586_Alternate1.jpgspacer.png

Interesting, never seen that one.

To OP, had the k&n on my 2018 5.3 because I thought I was gonna keep the truck longer and liked the deeper engine note it gave. MPG did not change nor did throttle response. 

Try using some 89 octane instead of the regular 87. I dunno about the tuning on the 2019s but on the 18s, 89 octane got me 1-2 more mpg and the truck ran / idled smoother. This is something that was recommended and tested by black bear tuning. My 19 is still breaking in but so far with the first tank being 87 and second being 89, I haven't noticed a difference.

I have used K&N air filters in my vehicles for years.

I keep my vehicles for a long time. Usually 200 K + miles.

I swap the air filters first thing after purchase.

I probably have over 800 K miles using these air filters.

Have one in my ATV also. Dirt bikes and motorcycles too when I had them.

My reason is why keep buying and throwing away money for the paper ones.

Works for me.

:)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have used K&N air filters in my vehicles for years.

I keep my vehicles for a long time. Usually 200 K + miles.

I swap the air filters first thing after purchase.

I probably have over 800 K miles using these air filters.

Have one in my ATV also. Dirt bikes and motorcycles too when I had them.

My reason is why keep buying and throwing away money for the paper ones.

Works for me.

:)

I can agree. No the filter is not 100% efficient, but no study ever showed that an engine would last longer with a more efficient filter. People make this assumption. Most people would never keep car long enough to see a K&N till end of life if any negative affect was known, all negative I have ever heard was opinion only.

I run the AEM in dusty Arizona and have had 0 issue and run a K&N on my 59 with 0 issue.

I bought a new KN filter for my 19, 5.3 . I installed and hoping to get better throttle response and a mile or two better mpg. I was surprised when my mpg dropped from 16 to the 12’s !  Didn’t notice any better performance either. Anyone else try this? I ran it for one tank then pulled it out, after another tank and original filter back in mpg went back to 16. 

Not surprising, after a couple weeks of running the K&N Air Filter I swapped back to a new Wix air filter and noticed no change in throttle response but an increase of 1-2 mpg’s. I went with Wix after Grumpy Bear released an independent study of bad and good air filters and was shocked that a new K&N air filter allowed far to much dirt to pass through, was really bad. Changing your air filter every 15k miles is my recommendation.

I used K&N long ago but it was not worth all the time and expense of servicing it, have to buy cleaner and oil, take it apart, clean it and let it dry for 24 hrs.  Nothing is gained IMO, what you might save on not buying a new filter is off-set by the money spent for the cleaning and re-oiling supplies, not to mention the down time to clean.  Just don't see the benefit.  My truck has 25,000 miles and just about 2 yrs old and the oem filter is still serviceable (not very dirty) and the owners manual says to replace it at 45,000 miles.  So why do it at 15,000 miles? 

The only thing I use a K&N filter for is my cabin air filter.  As fast as mine gets dirty around here with the spring pollen, it is easy to clean and put back in.  Not like it needs to stop serious stuff, just keep the HVAC clean.  Plus if you spray "Old Spice" aftershave on it you get a nice air freshener as well.  :)

Just kidding about the "Old Spice".