Just picked up a 2019 Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 4.3l.  First new vehicle since a 2006 Trailblazer.  My wife drives a '16 Rav4 that is a company vehicle.

I'm old school.  I like to drive a vehicle, not have a computer drive it for me.  

Pleased that I don't have the adaptive cruise control.  In the Rav4 I would just end up sitting behind the slowest moving vehicle and not even realize it for miles.  Pushbutton parking brake? Seriously?  Remote tailgate?  I can lower my own thank you.  The Rav4 has lane departure assist that steers you back into your lane and beeps.  I'm sure there's that upgrade somewhere in GM as well.  Glad I don't have it.  ETA...do we really need an alarm to let us know there is a child in the back seat?

As I read through these threads I find myself scratching my head wondering how all this tech ended up in new vehicles, and why we're surprised when this stuff starts to malfunction.

Edited by airdvr1227
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, airdvr1227 said:

ETA...do we really need an alarm to let us know there is a child in the back seat?

Yeah, yeah you do. Why not, it's all for safety... you can turn it off if you don't want to be warned. But for most dads that own this truck with young kids, or moms that typically have an SUV... it's a nice touch. Seriously, I'm sure it has saved a child's life. 

There are a lot of people that like this tech, especially those that drive a lot, it's easy to get distracted after a lot of driving and this stuff is there to help not only keep you safe, but those around you as well.

Most of it is optional anyway, as you know since you dont have it on yours, so what is the problem?

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, airdvr1227 said:

Just picked up a 2019 Silverado Custom 4x4 with the 4.3l.  First new vehicle since a 2006 Trailblazer.  My wife drives a '16 Rav4 that is a company vehicle.

I'm old school.  I like to drive a vehicle, not have a computer drive it for me.  

Pleased that I don't have the adaptive cruise control.  In the Rav4 I would just end up sitting behind the slowest moving vehicle and not even realize it for miles.  Pushbutton parking brake? Seriously?  Remote tailgate?  I can lower my own thank you.  The Rav4 has lane departure assist that steers you back into your lane and beeps.  I'm sure there's that upgrade somewhere in GM as well.  Glad I don't have it.  ETA...do we really need an alarm to let us know there is a child in the back seat?

As I read through these threads I find myself scratching my head wondering how all this tech ended up in new vehicles, and why we're surprised when this stuff starts to malfunction.

I would kill to have a push button parking e brake on my truck, i wouldn't even care about the drawbacks like it breaking as i hate how i have to basically hike my leg up to my chin to push in or release my e brake in my 14 truck. Great progress imo that negates any drawbacks to added tech that might break and cost money down the road.

• Like 3

Drunk Driving. Distracted Driving. Tired Driving. Reckless Driving.

If your vehicle has enough nanny devices on it you to can participate in all four of these illegal activities.

How about that? You can work a 36 hour shift, have a pint or two, hit a line, blow the pipe (after nipping the flask in your desk all shift), get in your truck blowing off the Yield sign, merge into traffic 20 over the speed limit while replying to a dozen text. While your at it you can turn up the heat at  home, preset the game and turn on the lights. Settle in to a movie on your converted dash display. Jam the music until you loose all space awareness. Your truck will protect you and those around you. What's the problem?

Driving is all about you, right? 

The more nanny devices they put on things the STUPIDER people get.

Oh...I have to raise my leg a bit to apply my parking brake? 

:wtf:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If your vehicle has enough nanny devices on it you to can participate in all four of these illegal activities.

How about that? You can work a 36 hour shift, have a pint or two, hit a line, blow the pipe (after nipping the flask in your desk all shift), get in your truck blowing off the Yield sign, merge into traffic 20 over the speed limit while replying to a dozen text. While your at it you can turn up the heat at  home, preset the game and turn on the lights. Settle in to a movie on your converted dash display. Jam the music until you loose all space awareness. Your truck will protect you and those around you. What's the problem?

We all know that those that chose to drive under the influence could care less whether there are nannies or not. 

They were/are already 'stupider'.

Full automated 'driverless' is the only thing that can protect us from them. 

Kinda/sorta like the horse that knew the way home

It won't be much longer and we will be there. 

The bonus is that type of system can also reduce harm from from accidents that occur due to medical emergencies.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Up to 40 years old I could drive 24 hours. Up to 50 I could drive 12 hours. Now I burn out at 8 hours. I can still drive of course, just not at the level I’m comfortable with. Recently I drove my father in laws Honda CRV with all the latest tec. It almost drives itself as long as the white lines are present. He insisted I turn it all on. It drove me batty. More distracting than helpful. I felt like I was fighting with the car. Especially adapted cruise. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redwngr said:

We all know that those that chose to drive under the influence could care less whether there are nannies or not. 

They were/are already 'stupider'.

Full automated 'driverless' is the only thing that can protect us from them. 

Kinda/sorta like the horse that knew the way home

It won't be much longer and we will be there. 

The bonus is that type of system can also reduce harm from from accidents that occur due to medical emergencies.

Does that include those 

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

blowing off the Yield sign, merge into traffic 20 over the speed limit while replying to a dozen text. While your at it you can turn up the heat at  home, preset the game and turn on the lights. Settle in to a movie on your converted dash display. Jam the music until you loose all space awareness. Your truck will protect you and those around you. What's the problem?

DUI is only one of the offences. Don't be so narrow in focus. EVERYONE and their brother I meet is on their phone. Putting on makeup. Shaving. Half asleep. Three through a stop sign. Passing in the NO zone. Newest one in bullying a person out of their legal turn at a four way stop. Playing chicken during a pass betting the overtaken will hit the brakes and let the offender back in. 

Now we're saying that because the majority of drivers ignore public safety those that don't will loose their driving privileges?

Sure. Punish the lawful. Sounds about right. 

In Illinois I can not believe the State Troopers are not a hundred fold more aggressive in enforcement. We loose one or two a week killed in line of lawful duty hit by drivers...on their phones...speeding in work areas and school zones. It's laughable that humanity is so dull in their senses. 

• Like 2

My aunt has broken the rear window of her minivan three times on air conditioning units in parkades because she didn't bother to look behind her when backing up, instead relying on the backup camera that only tells her if her bumper is going to hit something. My brother crashed my parents' car and a couple years later put a work truck in the ditch. Distracted driving both times. Some people never learn. 

I say get rid of all nannies, make the driving exam hard enough to actually test your skills and willingness to drive with due care and attention and increase the punishments for bad driving. Driving is a privilege, not a right. 

• Like 1

If you're stupid enough to leave your kid in the back seat, you should have your kid taken away. Why should a vehicle have to remind you that the thing you care about the most in life is sitting in the back seat.

How the hell did our parents manage without such things? Come to think of it, pretty good I guess because we are still breathing and we are talking about it on the internet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So there is a huge problem with your argument. You are basically blaming all these issues on advanced safety tools in vehicles making people lazy or careless. They already were. There have always been drunk drivers and people texting and putting on their make up, having features in these vehicles that helps limit the damage they can cause is a good thing. Whether or not their licenses should be revoked is a separate issue. 

And here is another newsflash for you, as good of a driver as you think you are, you aren't. You're human.  You get tired or distracted at times like everyone else. I'm sure there have been times you have nearly been in accidents that other people who were paying more attention managed to avoid. It's normal, no one is infallible. 

I used to work in the auto insurance industry. I've seen numerous circumstances where historically good drivers made one mistake one time or weren't paying attention and were severely injured or killed because of it. In many of these circumstances, had there been advances safety tech on their vehicles, while the accidents may have still occurred, it could have made the difference between walking away with bruises and a couple broken bones vs dying. 

Just because you are incapable of seeing the benefits here doesn't mean they dont exist. Hell some of this stuff may have prevented other people from hitting you without you even knowing it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1