Engine Oil brand

9 hours ago, RE1 said:

How do you get it down to $10 per quart? I’ve been using amsoil signature series and I’ve been paying $13 per quart. 

Blain's Farm and Fleet had the 5W30 AMSOIL SS for just under $11 a quart. So $12 case more than the online AMSOIL store and no annual fee or shipping.  

• Like 1

AMSOIL here of course.

The Preferred Customer program you can sign up for is similar to Sam's Club.  You pay $20 for a year membership and you purchase at the wholesale price.  As stated above, shipping is free on orders of $100 or more.  AMSOIL also runs specials for Preferred Customers.  Some times they offer free products with a certain amount of order or free shipping on a lower order amount.  Like a few months ago you got free shipping on orders of $75 or more.   If you purchase a case of the Signature Series oil in any weight (12qts per case) that will get you over the $100 right there.  Or in our situation with our trucks. a case of 4 gallons will do the same and that will be good for two oil changes and you only have to mess with two containers for each oil change.  No messing with having to deal with a 5qt container and three more qts. 

If anyone is interested in the Preferred Customer program, PM me.  :)

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 3

I go to McDonald's and get their used fryer oil. It works great for about 4-5k oci. Sometimes I upgrade to Chick-fil-A's used oil because it is higher quality and run 6k oci. 

Seriously, oil is oil. An engine will run 200k+ miles with any oil sold at Walmart or AutoZone or any other retailer as long as you change it when the computer says to sometime between 5-10k miles. 

3 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I go to McDonald's and get their used fryer oil. It works great for about 4-5k oci. Sometimes I upgrade to Chick-fil-A's used oil because it is higher quality and run 6k oci. 

Seriously, oil is oil. An engine will run 200k+ miles with any oil sold at Walmart or AutoZone or any other retailer as long as you change it when the computer says to sometime between 5-10k miles. 

I have an old Ford that gets nothing but remnant oil.  I have a 5 quart jug that gets filled with all the leftover 1/2 and 1/4 quarts from other vehicle oil changes.  15/40 through 0/20, different brands, conventional and syn.  Change it every 2 years or so.  No leaks, no burning and 318K miles.  Using Amsoil wisdom, this should have blew up a decade ago.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Magnatec is a made up word :) Intelligent molecules :crackup:Cling to protect :rollin:

a64a4483-577b-47c3-9168-6efe6f6495f1_1.ef2bf8396730fa5f53e6bec3d50745f2.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff97933d19-a297-4f59-9a1a-bf9f319d63db_1.2cbf7bfd7069b98e3e65c09b1d79607e.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

That molecular 'cling' isn't magnetic. It's polar and it doesn't do so because it 'decided' to after long thought. It's the O2 bond of a Group V. 

I wouldn't get all worked up over low concentrations of Titanium additives either. Remember Penzane in Pennzoil?

Ever wonder why it is no longer in the market? 

Marketing is for suckers.

I don't drink the cool aide.

I just use it.

Always available at a good price.

spacer.png

:) 

7 minutes ago, RE1 said:

Yeah, their service is outstanding. 

Also as a Preferred Customer, if you live close to a distribution center you can go and pick it up and save the freight if it is a small order like just wanting a filter or P.i. So when you place your order just let the operator know you will be picking it up on what day at what location.  Like for me I pick up in Richmond, it is a great deal because the tax is less in VA.  I usually place an order on my way through to visit my mom in PA.

Here are a few of them, Richmond Va. right by the airport, Orlando Fl., Lancaster PA., Dallas TX., Chicago Ill., Las Vegas NV., Portland OR., Columbus OH., Wichita KS., Superior WI.

• Like 2

Anyone can compete on price regardless of quality. All you have to do is look at the marketplace and see for yourself.  The same chemistry is being sold under many brand names.  I read recently there were over 600 brand name oils with API rating sold in the USA, over 600!  The major oil companies primary goal is to maximize shareholders profits, not make the best product.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:27 AM, UGADawgs said:

This would go well in a converted Diesel...  friend of mine used to run fryer oil in his 78 Mercedes 300D as fuel.. not sure if he also lubricated with it though. :)

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:27 AM, UGADawgs said:

exactly...…..I did the " oil thing" when I raced motocross in race engines, it doesn't really matter....changing it is what matters

kinda funny as I had amsoil as sponsor too....not free oil ( I wasn't that good) but was super inexpensive vs retail

Edited by Dunn

Mobile 1 or Castrol. It’s what I like. Also there are several YouTube videos where they test viscosity at different temps kinda an interesting watch. 

YouTube videos are for chumps, lab results speak volumes of truth, not watching rehearsed testing. 02blacksilverado and grumpy bear have shown copies of lab results, no cool aid, no shilling, just 100% unbiased test results and only one comes out on top.

Majority of people focus on cost of oil and not knowing where the oil is actually coming from, FullSynthetic IS NOT 100% Synthetic, it’s a marketing gimmick. If it doesn’t say 100% Synthetic then it’s not.

In the 90’s, there were no requirements that oil had to specify just how much was actually synthetic, you could’ve had 1% synthetic and the rest conventional. Get the best you can afford, along with an excellent filter with 20-22 micron capturing abilities and you’ll have a very happy engine.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

Whatever the dealer uses, as my oil changes are all paid for in 5000 mile increments.

If you change your oil and filter regularly using any brand name oil of the correct type, it doesn't make a damned bit of difference.  Amsoil isn't going to yield any better performance or results than Mobil1, etc...

People like to be fanboys of "Their brand", but in the end it doesn't make a difference...  Use the correct type, the proper weight from a reputable brand, and do them on time and don't worry about it...