Independent Rear Suspension on the T1XX

The new SUV's will have an independent rear suspension set up.  I am not convinced that it is the way to go for the pickup trucks.  Does anyone currently make a pickup with rear independent suspension?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/12/chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-may-get-new-independent-rear-suspension/

Gotta love the state of automotive journalism. They ask the guy if it’s durable enough for use in a pickup. He says yes (because saying no would make the SUVs sound like garbage)...

HEADLINE: GM TRUCKS MAY GET IRS...

Really? Jumping the gun a bit there...

Personally not something I’d want, and I know the guys here who lift their trucks won’t either. That said, it might be neat to reboot the Avalanche on the new SUV platform and see how sales go.

• Like 3

Gotta love the state of automotive journalism. They ask the guy if it’s durable enough for use in a pickup. He says yes (because saying no would make the SUVs sound like garbage)...

HEADLINE: GM TRUCKS MAY GET IRS...

Really? Jumping the gun a bit there...

Personally not something I’d want, and I know the guys here who lift their trucks won’t either. That said, it might be neat to reboot the Avalanche on the new SUV platform and see how sales go.
An avalanche with the diesel would be a phenomenal vehicle. Sign me up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I agree. Thinking about it, it’s actually really surprising they haven’t brought it back yet. In a market where people can’t seem to get enough pickup trucks and SUVs...well...why not make one that’s a little of both!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I agree. Thinking about it, it’s actually really surprising they haven’t brought it back yet. In a market where people can’t seem to get enough pickup trucks and SUVs...well...why not make one that’s a little of both!

IRS Silverados? I'll bet the testing won't be performed or simulate 4 million miles and a number of years in rust belt States with numerous additional frame mounted irs components on the new thinner gauge wax coated steel. And expensive, fragile magnetic ride suspension with bladders filled with electrically controlled magnetic liquid like the $2500 motor mounts in my 6 mo. toaster shaped '15 Honda Pilot that dumped.

Avalanches -  good riddance! I owned 3 Avalanches, '07, '12 &'13  glued together with Mexican snot. Liked them when I owned them because they rode nicer with coil springs. Cab was roomy, the size of Silvy crew cab, but found them lacking converted to a full bed truck and called upon to do the work of a large separate bed-on-frame truck. Three piece removable heavy plastic tonneau covers were a nightmare to handle and store and seals between the covers soon, inevitably leaked. The revolutionary midgate concept permitting internal access to the bed and expansion of the bed area for storage was a great idea if you wanted to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock/paneling internally.........because with the rear seats folded and midgate down the result is you end up with a two seater with the front split 60/40s pushed so far forward that the driver had about much room as the rear seating in a double cab......then stuck with no more crew cab and only the shotgun to help you load and unload (and the wife don't do lumber or sheet rock)!

My favorites were the long Caddy type LED CMHSLs, optional on my '12 and standard on the '13 - went through 7 leakers, yes 7, between the two - dealer had to get special clearance from Chevy to replace the 4th one for the '12 - might have been afraid I'd invoke the lemon law. Definitely a design defect, saw many water filled ones in lots where I guess the owners either didn't notice, or were already out of warranty. Like to complain about a craked frame on a leaking rear window - well the Avalanche was the champ - the one piece removable solid rear window was mounted in a one piece molded frame surrounding the glass - park too long in the Sun and the glass expanded faster than the frame and it would crack and separate, usually just enough so one of the grid contacts would no longer contact the mate in the mount, only thing that saved it from massive leaks was the sail extended about a foot past the rear window.. Leave the midgate up for a few months in the Summer and the glue would ooze out from behind the rubber buffers and cement the pass through panel to the upper support bar....had to fold the rear seat, get on my back and kick it loose with both feet.......their sealer wax crap but the glue was great!

And the windshield and sunroofs were sealed with the same Mexican snot: drivers side would constantly leak with a wet rug if the vehicle was parked on the sloped end of the ramps - and no way I was going to let them replace the whole sunroof mechanism.

I did like to look of them compared to a notch back pickup, that's why I installed the sportsbar to get the sloping "sail" look on my '16 Silverado and purposely got one with the appearance package on my '19. But the one really positive thing I can say about the Avalanches is I loved the trade in values, something of a cult thing to owners, higher than any other vehicle including the Silvys. Bought the MSRP $46K '13 Avalanche in 2012 for $39K and traded it in cherry condition, and mine was the low production metallic green,  for the new $48K MSRP '16 Silvy plus throwing in extra tubular running boards for a total of $3.6 K including differential tax, tags, prep, out the door and down the road. And for 2% back put the $3.6K on the GM credit card which had given me $2K topoff toward sale of the Silvy.

Loved it while I had it but moved on - Silvys are mush more practical.

Avalanche was built on the Suburban chassis and has softer suspension. On a truck the box is bolted directly to the frame. On the Avalanche it attached using mounts just like the cab mounts on a pick up.

Jay

Edited by Jay P
  • Like 1

Avalanche was basically a short bed truck and the "midgate" separating the cabin from the internal bed would fold down on to of folded rear seats giving a two seat truck with full size internal bed.....except only the short of the bed had full height clearance because the roof extended over the front end 2-1/2 ft. of the bed. With the tonneau cover installed, the rear seats folded, and midgate down a driver would have full access to the bed whereas this is impossible with a separate cab and bed. Might be good for snuggling up sight unseen to save on a motel bill, but not much else.

In actuality it's dual purpose ability when the midgate was deployed produced neither a satisfactory truck nor a satisfactory SUV.

• Like 1