Why won't a 2018 tonneau cover fit the new 2019/2020 trucks?

I'm leasing a 2020 AT4 for only 2 years, and don't want to waste $1K+ for a hard tri-folding tonneau cover. I can get a brand new 2018 cover for around $300, but it's for the previous body style. I've done measurements on both trucks, and both are close. What is the fitment issue? Is it because of the Multi-pro tailgate? I don't mind modifying or fabricating something to get it to fit.

Thanks for any reply.

Dan

Edited by dantech1
spelling
  • Confused 1

I know they are different, obviously.

im trying to find out where the difference is. Are the new truck rails wider apart that the old style? What about length?

what I’m getting at, is that if the previous generation of trucks use a larger tonneau cover, then they could easily be modified to make them smaller to fit the new trucks. Flush mount hard tonneau covers are made from panels and aluminum extrusions fastened together. It’s quite easy to disassemble, cut to size the reassemble.

• Thanks 1

Go measure the bed size with the tailgate closed, my 17 Sierra CCSB had the exact same measurements as a 20 Silverado CCSB.  I haven't tried to install yet since I haven't found the deal I want, but my pla is to transfer my bakflip.

Edited by pewterliftedz

15 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

Go measure the bed size with the tailgate closed, my 17 Sierra CCSB had the exact same measurements as a 20 Silverado CCSB.  I haven't tried to install yet since I haven't found the deal I want, but my pla is to transfer my bakflip.

which bed length do you have?  If you have the "short bed"(5'8")  they are 2 inches longer than the 2018's, (5'6")  but if you have the midsize bed (6'5") they are the same,  at least in length.  Or at least that is what the spec's say,  I haven't measured

Edited by wizard4878

Just now, wizard4878 said:

which bed length do you have?  If you have the "short bed"(5'8")  they are 2 inches longer than the 2018's, 5'6")  but if you have the midsize bed (6'5") they are the same,  at least in length.  Or at least that is what the spec's say,  I haven't measured

Both are the smaller 5' bed, I know what the specs say, but I went to a dealer with a measuring tape.  At the bed rails with the tailgate closed, they measure exactly the same.  The inner bed of the new trucks are deeper and wider, but the bed rails were equal when I checked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pewterliftedz said:

Both are the smaller 5' bed, I know what the specs say, but I went to a dealer with a measuring tape.  At the bed rails with the tailgate closed, they measure exactly the same.  The inner bed of the new trucks are deeper and wider, but the bed rails were equal when I checked.

then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit,  unless they somehow attach differently

Edited by wizard4878

55 minutes ago, dantech1 said:

im trying to find out where the difference is. Are the new truck rails wider apart that the old style? What about length?

what I’m getting at, is that if the previous generation of trucks use a larger tonneau cover, then they could easily be modified to make them smaller to fit the new trucks. Flush mount hard tonneau covers are made from panels and aluminum extrusions fastened together. It’s quite easy to disassemble, cut to size the reassemble.

Oh ok. I see now. I just thought you were asking why they didn’t fit. 

Call the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.  Not everything is marked appropriately, especially for newer vehicles.

I have known floor mats and other accessories to be marked incompatible with the newer model vehicles of the same body style, and they fit.  Of course that doesn't apply to everything, but a competent manufacturer should be willing to help you rather than just going by the text.  It's worth a try.  Or, buy from Amazon where you could do an easy return with free return shipping and no restocking fee.

21 hours ago, dantech1 said:

I've done measurements on both trucks, and both are close.

1 hour ago, dantech1 said:

You have done the measurements and seen both, not sure what other information you are looking for. Your measurments should tell you if the rails are wider apart or if the length is different unless you can't read a tape measure? Seems you could be telling us the difference and if it will work. Try it and see. Worse comes to it you are out $300 and it doesn't fit or you sell it and out maybe $100 or it works with little or no adjustments. 

If it were me I would buy the new cover and sell it in two years and re-coop half the cost as they will still be building them and someone will want it with how many of these they make. I bought mine used from someone just like you, leasing...

Tyler

21 hours ago, dantech1 said:

I'm leasing a 2020 AT4 for only 2 years, and don't want to waste $1K+ for a hard tri-folding tonneau cover. I can get a brand new 2018 cover for around $300, but it's for the previous body style. I've done measurements on both trucks, and both are close. What is the fitment issue? Is it because of the Multi-pro tailgate? I don't mind modifying or fabricating something to get it to fit.

Thanks for any reply.

Dan

Did you get a carbon pro 2020? if so i do not believe there is a cover that will fit it for now.

Thanks for all the replies;

I’m getting the AT4 with the 6.5 ft box.

Ive already done quite a bit of research, and this is some of the measurements I got

64x62x77.5

64x62x79

63.5x62x77

the reason I’m looking into this is because I can get brand new hard tri-fold covers for around $300. The problem is that all these are for older models. If I had to buy new from Amazon, then there’s no savings in using an older cover because the prices are the same. I’m located in Canada where prices are insane, and I can save over $1000 if I can figure this out. I own a fab shop, so modifying a cover will be easy. Might be fun too !!!

2 hours ago, dantech1 said:

Thanks for all the replies;

I’m getting the AT4 with the 6.5 ft box.

Ive already done quite a bit of research, and this is some of the measurements I got

64x62x77.5

64x62x79

63.5x62x77

the reason I’m looking into this is because I can get brand new hard tri-fold covers for around $300. The problem is that all these are for older models. If I had to buy new from Amazon, then there’s no savings in using an older cover because the prices are the same. I’m located in Canada where prices are insane, and I can save over $1000 if I can figure this out. I own a fab shop, so modifying a cover will be easy. Might be fun too !!!

what hard cover is that for $300?

On 1/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, dantech1 said:

Thanks for any reply.

Dan

Likely has nothing to do with the size of the truck or bed. Had a Lund cover on my '16 and factory OEM one on my '19 which looks identical to the previous Lund with the exception of the rear tailgate seal and relocation of the release and therein lies the reason. Most 19+ are equipped with a remote release tailgate or motorized tailgate which is INcompatible with almost all tailgate seals on previous brand covers.

Covers either rest upon or have their waterproof seals rest on top of the tailgate. This will interfere and cause failure to release of the remote/motorized tailgates. The revised version of my cover no longer rests upon the top of the tailgate but about 3/4" above the lip and the waterproof seal has been changed to a 3" vertical seal that rests upon the rear surface of the tailgate and does not interfere with remote gate drop.

DSCN0725.JPG.453e2c6d7d24bac90ce21b1e5cc7dc67.JPGDSCN0726.JPG.2faf284c0634e706e0ecfb2b78a89aef.JPG

Edited by Thomcat
  • Like 1