Its a bug on the Apple car play. Its all in the programming and GM is well aware of it according to my dealership. Android car play doesn't have these issues.  

The trucks radio will not reset if you don't have you phone plugged in and run in bluetooth, but the moment you multitask with it connected (Apple music / Phone call) it will crash and do another reset. 

I doubt GM will fix the bug honestly.  

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2020 Silverado Custom in Feb of 2020. It came off the production line in Jan 2020. I have had the same issues with the Apple car play and the infotainment system goes black and resets. I have taking to three different dealerships for repair over the course of almost one year now. It has been taken in over 12 times and multiple items replaced including the screen twice. I have talked to GM headquarters to the point the we’re going to send a Technician to look at my truck. After determining that “my phone” was the reason behind the issue. They decided to not send them. This is a massive load of crap. I used 3 different iPhones and all different IOS. The phones all worked fine in my wife’s 2019 VW Tiguan but not my truck. They have determined that they will not do anything to try to fix this issue and claim that it is an Apple issue. Since I am an active duty service member serving in the army I am going to see what the legal system in the military can do about it.

Having the same issue - 2017 Silverado HC. Mine will have days of being just fine, and days of rebooting every few minutes (literally - and I have an hour commute each way). Had it in to the dealer and they had no idea of what to do. It’s enough to drive me crazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2019 Silverado LT Crew is doing the same thing. I've taken it to the dealer twice with the 2nd trip, they kept it for 2 weeks while I had the pleasure of driving a Trax for that time (?).  They finally replaced the radio on their own dime (GM claims it's my iphone 12), which I'm grateful they did.  It worked great for about a week and now it's back at it. Not as often, but at least 3 times a week.  I'm so frustrated since this is my work office and it's embarrassing while talking to clients.  I'm ready for another truck....

On 2/3/2021 at 6:18 PM, BetaX said:

2019 GMC Sierra is doing this as well...This thread gives me a ton of confidence of this being fixed...

Dropped the truck of Thursday evening and picked it up this afternoon. 

They did a software update... GM bulletin  #20-NA-097.

Made it half way home and the screen crapped out and restarted during a carplay phone call. 

Turned back around and left it for them to re-diagnose next week. 

On 2/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, BetaX said:

Dropped the truck of Thursday evening and picked it up this afternoon. 

They did a software update... GM bulletin  #20-NA-097.

Made it half way home and the screen crapped out and restarted during a carplay phone call. 

Turned back around and left it for them to re-diagnose next week. 

Positive news. They replaced the radio on my truck and i was able to pick it up today.

Unlike last time where i only made it 1/2 of the way home, today i was able to make it 2/3 of the way! 

My volume also goes in and out now as well while on the phone so that was a nice new surprise. 

On 2/11/2021 at 6:12 PM, BetaX said:

Positive news. They replaced the radio on my truck and i was able to pick it up today.

Unlike last time where i only made it 1/2 of the way home, today i was able to make it 2/3 of the way! 

My volume also goes in and out now as well while on the phone so that was a nice new surprise. 

Truck is back at the dealership as of this morning. 

Volume wasn't working properly with music now. Make an adjustment and there was a huge lag where it would gradually change based on the previous knob turn.  

Was able to get a video of the issues that i need to send over to them before Monday. With 2500 miles left on my warranty, i'm going to keep giving it to them until it's fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, BetaX said:

Truck is back at the dealership as of this morning. 

Volume wasn't working properly with music now. Make an adjustment and there was a huge lag where it would gradually change based on the previous knob turn.  

Was able to get a video of the issues that i need to send over to them before Monday. With 2500 miles left on my warranty, i'm going to keep giving it to them until it's fixed. 

Got a call today from the dealer to come pick up the truck again (3rd time). 

Forgot to ask what they did while they had since i last posted until i got there. According to the adviser i spoke to, they drove the truck 100 miles and couldn't replicate the issue. I take the fact they gave it back without any fixes they have given up...

Prior to the pick up, i ensured i deleted all vehicles tied to my carplay on my phone and did the latest update that popped up here recently.  It did not crash on the ~45 minute drive home, which is positive but think it's just luck. Truck will likely sit until we head west on Saturday for a race so won't get a good long test on it until then. 

They are supposedly going to be extending my warranty on this particular issue, waiting on the email from GM to say how much it's extended.

If it arises again, will be bringing it to another dealership. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today it just cuts in and out of CarPlay. Every few minutes.  I honestly gave up on the dealership. I spent more time there than actually using it. 6months later ( you can read my posts for how many times and what they “fixed” ) and still a POS! I heard today the 2021 has wireless CarPlay but who cares, if you can’t even get the wired version working. 6MONTHS. Incredible. I’m wondering if I can upgrade the whole system? No one wants the expense but the headache it’s giving me is horrible. 

I pick up my truck for the 4th time today from the dealer.

This time just like the last time, they did nothing other than put miles on it.

Social media team said they would coordinate and get others involved, and apparently went no where. 

I've wasted 8 hours driving to/from the dealer.

Shared a video of the issue that i took on my way to drop it off before attempt #3 that showed all of the issues, and yet they "can't replicate it" so no issue fixed. I was asked a couple times to come in during normal business hours to chauffeur someone around to let it replicate. Not taking time off work to waste even more time than i already have on this issue.

For those having this issue, I have reached out to a lemon lawyer after attempt # 3 and they have stated this is a valid claim if you're looking to ditch your truck and be reimbursed. 

I'm currently in talks with a few dealers about trading my truck in on a F150.  

Trade in is almost what i paid for it new (before taxes) so another option if others are looking to do similar.

Edited by BetaX