On 12/15/2020 at 5:53 AM, BowtieSquatch said:

Its a bug on the Apple car play. Its all in the programming and GM is well aware of it according to my dealership. Android car play doesn't have these issues.  

The trucks radio will not reset if you don't have you phone plugged in and run in bluetooth, but the moment you multitask with it connected (Apple music / Phone call) it will crash and do another reset. 

I doubt GM will fix the bug honestly.  

I agree that it is a coding issue either with Apple or GM, more than likely with GM. I have had the same issue when I had my 2015 Malibu. That didn’t come with Apple CarPlay, just the MyLink system and it would randomly reboot or freeze when I had my phone hooked up to it through usb.   Unfortunately I don’t think it will be fix since technically it doesn’t affect the safety or drivability of the vehicle, just the convenience. I have a 2020 Custom Trail Boss and it has done it 5 times since November when I received the truck. Just recently it started to index my phone every time it’s connected. So now it starts to play a random song instead of the where I left off in a playlist. That also happened all the time in the Malibu as well. Annoying as f***. 

On 12/15/2020 at 8:53 AM, BowtieSquatch said:

Its a bug on the Apple car play. Its all in the programming and GM is well aware of it according to my dealership. Android car play doesn't have these issues.  

The trucks radio will not reset if you don't have you phone plugged in and run in bluetooth, but the moment you multitask with it connected (Apple music / Phone call) it will crash and do another reset. 

I doubt GM will fix the bug honestly.  

I have this same issue but I never plug my phone in with CarPlay I always use bluetooth and I get this repeatedly. I have had the dealer update me to the 808 version and it still does it. I just have found if I turn the truck on and sit for 2 mins for everything to load it has less of a chance to reboot. 

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue with my 2020 Silverado. I have taken the truck the dealership 6 times for the issue since I leased the truck and the technicians have never been able to replicate the problem? Give me a break! To assist them in understanding the problem I started documenting the problem every time it happens and have taken video. Unfortunately the dealership doesn’t want the information. Last week they changed the usb plug and it seemed to fix the issue for about a week. This never happens while driving my wife’s Equinox or the loaner vehicles I’ve used from the dealership. GM needs to address the issue and I need to switch brand loyalty!

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, Todd Richert said:

I have owned many GMC trucks so I have delt with the radio issues in the past but this one is driving me crazy. Only when apple car play is active and connected to my phone the radio screen will go black and will reboot at random times. Today when I made a phone call, 30 seconds into the call it goes dead, about 20 seconds later it reboots and phone call is still there.  My cluster is not affected, I have changed phone cords. Using iPhone 11 Pro Max with latest update.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you 

Im having the same problem with Android auto on my 2021 Silverado 3500HD WT

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had any success with this?  The Dealer I am dealing with Dallas cannot replicate the issue and GM will not authorize replacing anything, I am at a loss on this. It is annoying as it happens almost every time I drive the truck and am connected to CarPlay.  This is the first GM product I have owned after the last 5 trucks were Ford and this will definitely be the last. 

The issue truly appears to be with GM's interface to Android Auto/Apple Car Play. About 2-3 hours of straight playback from an iPhone through the system tends to trigger first an issue with the audio starting to cut out, then the reboot can trigger almost any time after that. I even noticed on one occasion that my turn signal audio cut out while I was waiting for a traffic light which also made the dashboard indicators flash both sides just before the stack rebooted. However, when I just play through bluetooth rather than ACP, it works just fine, though lacking all of the communications capabilities through the steering wheel control (like triggering the voice-activation and attempting to make phone calls or voice messages.) 

Prior to these indications, I suspected the problem was in the phone itself. But I also noticed that any volume changes made in the vehicle tend to stick with the phone when leaving the vehicle. Most certainly the issue is with GM's interface software.

Edited by Vulpine
text copied twice.

• 2 months later...

I see this has been going on for a while with no resolution. My 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 truck has been doing the same thing. My local GM dealer graciously replaced the entire radio in my truck but 5 minutes after leaving the dealership, it did it again. Any help on this would make a lot of people happy.  

8 hours ago, Darinp said:

I see this has been going on for a while with no resolution. My 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 truck has been doing the same thing. My local GM dealer graciously replaced the entire radio in my truck but 5 minutes after leaving the dealership, it did it again. Any help on this would make a lot of people happy.  

It's definitely a software problem with GM's Android Auto / iOS Car Play interface. It's now a complete failure on my iPhone 13; I cannot connect to the truck at all with Car Play, though bluetooth phone and music transfer are seamless. 

• 11 months later...

I am having the same issue with my 2019 Silverado 1500 LD. Took it to dealer today. They were going to try and charge me for looking at it. They think it needs a new radio and going to try and get GM to cover it. Only have 40,000 on the truck it’s obviously on GM this issue something with their software. Hoping they can resolve this. Has anyone have this figured out yet?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JasonFoy48 said:

I have a 2019 texas edition Silverado and it is doing the same thing. All updates are current. Has there been a recall or a software/ hardware notice published GM

GM keeps blaming Apple while Apple blames GM. The interesting thing is that the problem is almost identical with Android Auto, meaning that it is almost definitely GM's interface that is at fault, not either of the software platforms. Yet... GM refuses to acknowledge the possibility.

On 11/16/2022 at 6:21 AM, JasonFoy48 said:

I have a 2019 texas edition Silverado and it is doing the same thing. All updates are current. Has there been a recall or a software/ hardware notice published GM

This is certainly not what we like to hear, JasonFoy48.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 Silverado Texas Edition. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: JasonFoy48/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 11/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, ...

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

We realize you don't like to hear this, but GM has been ignoring this problem for over FIVE YEARS, blaming the third-party vendors rather than your own software engineers. Apple and Google engineers have done what they can and have performed multiple updates and redesigns to clear the problem and improve functionality but the problem always comes down to the GM vehicles and almost no other brand of which I've been made aware. This makes it blatantly clear this is a GM problem and is more likely to cost GM some of its customers if it isn't cleared up.

The OTA updates to the stacks have been seen to exacerbate the problem as well, especially when it tries to perform an update during a period of frequent stops and starts, such as when moving between multiple bays of a warehouse or whatever to load cargo from different vendors, or different kinds of cargo from one vendor in different storage bays. Such frequent starts and stops completely confuses the stack.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue, 2022 GMC Sierra AT4. I will lose radio audio or the unit will reboot itself while driving. The reboot brings the unit back online and everything works correctly. If I lose volume I have to park the vehicle and turn it off and let it sit and the radio will work again.

Ridiculous.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:28 PM, Phil H said:

Same issue, 2022 GMC Sierra AT4. I will lose radio audio or the unit will reboot itself while driving. The reboot brings the unit back online and everything works correctly. If I lose volume I have to park the vehicle and turn it off and let it sit and the radio will work again.

Ridiculous.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Phil H.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 GMC Sierra AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Phil H/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

www.gm.com