my 2018 Silverado is having a SIMILAR problem, my radio does not reboot but I loose audio and if I am listening to my ipod it will stop (like it is paused) the screen shows it still on play but it is not playing until I hit fwd/rev or pause/play, also radio audio will cut out and come back on at the start volume and then I have to turn it up again if so desired. the problem seems to happen mostly when at the first start up of the day (when it is cold or cooler out), it has done this for about a year I took it to the dealer once and they could not replicate the problem, so all summer it has really not done it much because it has been pretty warm, but now that is has cooled off again the problem has really risen it's head more and has progressed to the instrument cluster shutting off and starting back up (like it has a short inside) it does this while driving and does not seem to affect any drive-ability, while the cluster is doing it's thing the radio audio is out, I made a video and showed it to the dealer and left it overnight so they could check it in the morning while it is cold and first startup of the day. again they could not replicate the issue (it worked fine), but they did try to load a new calibration on the cluster and it would not program so they are ordering a new cluster. there theory is that because the cluster is loosing power it is causing the audio drop out because the steering wheel controls/radio/cluster are inter-connected on the most bus (radio interface). I have also noticed the cluster backlight flickering at night. mostly I loose just the radio audio and the ipod music stops. they should have the new cluster in this week sometime and I will update this if it seems to resolve the problem. I am on the fence about it being the issue but it kind of makes sense, if it does correct the problem there is a chance it could be related to the radio's rebooting as well. I have also found out the amp behind the backseat is what sends the power signal to turn on the radio, if you unplug the amp the radio does not work so it may be worth a look to be sure your amp harness is on tight and snug the harness plug that is farthest left on the amp is the one that supplies the power. the harness is hard to reach but you can do it by lifting up the rear seat and reaching under the padding, there is a piece of padding that has holes in it (for air flow) and it will lift up the harness is under that area. 

Back to the dealer today. 5th time. Same issue. Radio reboots at random while connected to CarPlay. They’ve replaced the radio. The touch screen and the usb. I had the truck for six weeks and it still doesn’t work properly. At what point do you just throw in the towel? LEMON???the time consumption alone is absolutely ridiculous. And why am I paying for a Silverado and driving a Colorado, or Compass,? Anyone solve this yet?

2 hours ago, TooMuchJoy0513 said:

Back to the dealer today. 5th time. Same issue. Radio reboots at random while connected to CarPlay. They’ve replaced the radio. The touch screen and the usb. I had the truck for six weeks and it still doesn’t work properly. At what point do you just throw in the towel? LEMON???the time consumption alone is absolutely ridiculous. And why am I paying for a Silverado and driving a Colorado, or Compass,? Anyone solve this yet?

last week the dealer replaced the cluster and that fixed the cluster problem (so far) but now the radio does both a new and same old problem, now the sound cut's off, clock disappears and the presets go blank and turn a light grey color and then they go to having the numbers 1-5 in them, then the preset stations re-appear, then the clock pops back up and the sound comes back on, it also does the same old thing where the ipod stops at the first 1 second of the next song or stops in the middle of a song. then I have to hit the pause/play button or skip to the next song to get it to play again, it's not the ipod or the cable I have a grip of both and have tried different ones all do the same thing. so it goes back Tuesday for who knows what next

Same issue here, 2019 Colorado. JBA Chevy has replaced USB port, radio and HMI.  It’s still rebooting when using CarPlay. The last time at the dealer , they couldn’t get it to replicate (currently happening 3-4 times per week on average). They reached out to GM who told them the issue must be my iPhone. The problem is that it has happened with three different iPhones, running different versions of iOS. This is so frustrating. I love my truck and am currently trying to record video of the reboots in hopes of one last ditch effort to get them to fix it. If that fails, I’m going to try to use the lemon law. Will update if I find a solution. 

7 hours ago, CraigP said:

Same issue here, 2019 Colorado. JBA Chevy has replaced USB port, radio and HMI.  It’s still rebooting when using CarPlay. The last time at the dealer , they couldn’t get it to replicate (currently happening 3-4 times per week on average). They reached out to GM who told them the issue must be my iPhone. The problem is that it has happened with three different iPhones, running different versions of iOS. This is so frustrating. I love my truck and am currently trying to record video of the reboots in hopes of one last ditch effort to get them to fix it. If that fails, I’m going to try to use the lemon law. Will update if I find a solution. 

Had the dealer give me the phone excuse too. Except I replaced in between fixes. And it worked in every other model I drove. Jeep Compass. Equinox. Colorado. Let you know how it goes. 

On 1/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, Todd Richert said:

I have owned many GMC trucks so I have delt with the radio issues in the past but this one is driving me crazy. Only when apple car play is active and connected to my phone the radio screen will go black and will reboot at random times. Today when I made a phone call, 30 seconds into the call it goes dead, about 20 seconds later it reboots and phone call is still there.  My cluster is not affected, I have changed phone cords. Using iPhone 11 Pro Max with latest update.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you 

Same here. I have a 2020 Silverado Custom. It’s so annoying 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, GMCustomerService said:

Hey, Antoine. Were you able to have your concerns resolved? If not, we are more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Antoine Bohannon/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, GMCustomerService said:

Hey, Antoine. Were you able to have your concerns resolved? If not, we are more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Antoine Bohannon/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC. 

Aleigha W. 

• 2 weeks later...

2020 Silvarado Custom, same thing is happening with mine.  First time they replaced the radio.  Five minutes after driving away, it did it again.  Waited for a loaner vehicle before dropping it off again.  They had it for a couple of weeks, this time they were able to reproduce the reboot.  This time they replaced the screen.  I picked it up yesterday, and today while out, it rebooted again.  
 This is obviously a known problem, but haven’t seen any fix for this yet.

so a update my issue with the radio & cluster going bat ****** crazy in the previous posted video, the problem got worse since then and progressed to the entire screen/hvac/cluster shutting off & on

gave it to the dealer and left it a couple days. they determined it was a bad alternator making a voltage spike and causing the bcm to trigger the ignition causing the problems

I have several aftermarket mods/accessories installed so GM wouldn't cough up for the 2hrs diagnostic time but they did cover the alternator. 

the tech wrote:

voltage spiking bcm opening ignition relay, remainder of entertainment and information modules erratic communication, found 100-800mil second 18+voltage spike with cold engine operation, isolated.

I just picked it up and on the drive home it worked fine, I am going to take a nice long road trip on Sunday and I will report back if the problem returns.

Edited by doubeleive

• 2 weeks later...