Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto

4 hours ago, Dali555 said:

I haven’t tried maps but I play my music wirelessly... here is a pic of my screen showing when my phone was wired and when wireless9BB5F0CE-15C5-48BC-BAF2-DE6EDAB53E17.jpeg.3518e388fdaa293f694a058dbb0c6ee1.jpeg

You are using the Bluetooth for music only. This has been available on gm trucks for years. What OP is talking about is android auto or Apple CarPlay which turns your center stack display into your phone display. You are able to use some apps directly off of your trucks screen. Google maps, Apple Maps, waze, pandora, phone app, etc. to do this you have to plug in your phone to one of the USB ports. If you try this in your truck you will see the app show up on you center stack. OP is wishing for this functionality to be wireless, which the 2021 Tahoe and Yukon will have when they are released.

I am not sure if I am straying too far off the subject or not. I get you have to use android auto and plug it in for the maps, But I noticed you can get the Navigation SD cards. If you get one and just plug it in, will you now have navigation? even though the navigation package didn't come with the vehicle? Or is there other programming you have to do?

12 hours ago, Mack3748 said:

I am not sure if I am straying too far off the subject or not. I get you have to use android auto and plug it in for the maps, But I noticed you can get the Navigation SD cards. If you get one and just plug it in, will you now have navigation? even though the navigation package didn't come with the vehicle? Or is there other programming you have to do?

Not 100% sure but I believe you can add it later. The dealer has to program some stuff etc. But I’m my opinion there’s no need for it as long as you have a smart phone. Just use AA or CarPlay. Will work better 

yes but don't you guys have problems with connection ports on your phones?....I don't buy new phones a lot so that port is always kinda shady (iPhone or Samsung)....unless you guys have a trick to keep it working and durable (I have bought multiple high end charger cables)....plus having to constantly connect it...

do any use that 5 second charger cable with the magnet?....

7 hours ago, spizike9 said:

Not 100% sure but I believe you can add it later. The dealer has to program some stuff etc. But I’m my opinion there’s no need for it as long as you have a smart phone. Just use AA or CarPlay. Will work better 

I travel for work. I will say when I travel in remote Wi, Mich and Minnesota I spend quite a bit of time out of cell range which means no maps using CarPlay 

I will say the factory Nav always works. I like having it as a backup.

Tom

3 hours ago, Dunn said:

yes but don't you guys have problems with connection ports on your phones?....I don't buy new phones a lot so that port is always kinda shady (iPhone or Samsung)....unless you guys have a trick to keep it working and durable (I have bought multiple high end charger cables)....plus having to constantly connect it...

Clean the port on your phone with a needle. Worked wonders on my 2 and a half year old phone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear any updates on if they plan to add this as an OTA update for the 2019/2020 trucks? There shouldn't be any issues, as from what I can tell the trucks with the current IOT units should definitely have the capability to support this as the trucks already have the wifi receiver built in. 

Maybe I'm being optimistic though... I do suspect this will be witheld for only the 2021+ models even if the hardware in the 2019+ can support it to help justify getting people to upgrade to the new model years.

44 minutes ago, Bikeman said:

AA and Apple car play will probably suck thru bluetooth...the cable will definitely send data quicker then thru the air. And with the problems they have now.....

It would likely suck through BT, but It's not used via BT. It connects to the wifi adapter in the car, and sends the data that way.

Wireless CarPlay is being supported by Apple starting ''recently'  (not sure exactly when)

Yes, from the initial release of Carplay, until very recently, it would not work without the cable connection.

Presumably the vehicle must also support wireless Carplay for it to work, so many/most vehicles will require an update (if one is available, otherwise SOL).

Yes, phones can play music wirelessly using just the Bt connection -- but as questioned above bt music streaming is not the same as running Carplay or AA.

Music can be streamed with just the Bt connection but that is not the same as running AA or CP, which have always required a calbe connection -- until recently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Oops, too late. Sorry for the bad advice. 

lol, my phone took a ****** so got new one....has c port vs micro so all is right again for now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dunn said:

lol, my phone took a ****** so got new one....has c port vs micro so all is right again for now

I debated buying myself a new phone for my birthday but, despite being a low end model when I bought it, this has been the most reliable phone I've ever owned so I'm in no hurry to spend money on something that may not be as good. 

On 3/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, Dunn said:

USB-C is rated for 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles if your phone supports it. With that amount of cycles, if you plug it in 5x a day everyday, it will still take about 5 years for it to wear out.