After Workout with cloth interior

Hey guys did some searching but couldnt find anything specific.  I was wondering if anyone here has had issues with cloth interior and after workouts.  I do kickboxing and i am a sweaty hot mess when i get into the truck after working out.  In my old vehicle i had leather and it was never an issue, i could just wipe it off with a towel.  

Has anyone ever had any issue with sweat or stinkiness (if that is even a word) coming from their interior?  Does anyone else even think about this?  Would a towel be enough on the bottom portion of the seat so monkey butt smell doesn't get in there?   

***note there is no shower at the gym i use.  i figure there has to be people on here that lift or workout in some fashion without a shower at their gym***

Edited by Jheyt
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jheyt said:

Has anyone ever had any issue with sweat or stinkiness (if that is even a word) coming from their interior?  Does anyone else even think about this? 

No, I have never thought about it. I express methane gas into my fabric seats regularly to test them. never noticed any issue.

If I was going to get in my seat while drenched in sweat I would sit on a towel, just like i wouldn't sit on my seat with a wet swimming suit on.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Jheyt said:

Hey guys did some searching but couldnt find anything specific.  I was wondering if anyone here has had issues with cloth interior and after workouts.  I do kickboxing and i am a sweaty hot mess when i get into the truck after working out.  In my old vehicle i had leather and it was never an issue, i could just wipe it off with a towel.  

Has anyone ever had any issue with sweat or stinkiness (if that is even a word) coming from their interior?  Does anyone else even think about this?  Would a towel be enough on the bottom portion of the seat so monkey butt smell doesn't get in there?  

I have.....had Plymouth fleet vehicles with cheap velour cloth upholstery. One was assigned to a habitual burrito and Indian food eater and he'd regularly blast the driver's seat.....anybody riding shotgun would have to ride with the window open even in the Summer. Woe was the person whose car was in service and forced to borrow his. Once deep in the seats the stink is forever.......didn't see to bother him bother him, but any poor soul that plopped down onto the driver's seat was in for complimentary reverse blast and a thoroughly miserable ride. Maybe the better fabric or backing in the truck is more impervious to the stink, but not worth taking a chance and having your nose pay for it later. Nothing wrong with placing a sheet of plastic below the towel. After that experience, never bought a vehicle with fabric again.

And for the same reason hate the perforated leather seats in our Traverse, but at least turning on the ventilation fan inside the seat for positive pressure serves as preventative against  blast intrusion.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dkjbama said:

Maybe shower after your workout. Otherwise, some good seat covers you can wash the funk out of.

the kickboxing gym i go to only has 1 changing room... No place to shower there.  I have to wait to get home before i can de-stink

12 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Really?

You actually have to ask such a stupid question?

Take a shower . Gross.

This one is as bad as this one

I should've stated in the original post that the kickboxing place i go to doesnt have a shower.  It would be just like going to a basketball court (outside) and playing hoops with some friends...  getting into your truck all stinky...  maybe im the only person that has ever been in their truck after working out.   I was just wondering what anyone else may have done to curb the possibility of getting the stink in their seats.. sorry to offend you with my "stupid question" feel free to not read it.

• Like 1

the kickboxing gym i go to only has 1 changing room... No place to shower there.  I have to wait to get home before i can de-stink
I used to be into karate and our dojo had no shower and 1 changing room. I took a towel with me and dried the sweat off and sprayed myself with cheap colonge before I put my clothes back on.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dirt, mud, dust was part of my working life. I stayed away from leather unless the deal was too good pass up. Texas heat. I simply carried a couple of beach towels. Never a problem.

• Like 1

I always use a seat cover when I workout for after (or any beach/swimming activities, lake days or any dirty activity). Leather just like cloth can get stained and smell if enough sweat and wet things are put on it. I bought a good wet resistant seat cover for $30 that is soft on one side and non slip and water proof on the other. Ditto with the fiances car and I move them from car to car when needed based on activity. 

Tyler

• Like 2

There are some oddly hostile comments on this. Get a grip guys, even if the gym has a shower I prefer to drive home and shower. I'd rather sit stinky for an extra 15 mins and have my own private shower where I don't have to wear flops or see some old guys junk personally.

As for your question OP, I've had this issue in the past and I think a few people have given good recommendations, here is what I've done:

• Carry a large towel or beach towel with you and drape the seat after a workout. Just remember to wash it every few sessions.
  • Just sit on the cloth and hit it with febreze every once in a while, seemed to work for me in the past but didn't do it long term.
  • Bite the bullet and get some seat covers. You can get nice custom fitted ones in a variety of styles and material. I've got some cordura ones that are pretty water resistant in case something is spilled. I take them out and clean them maybe once a year? Neoprene is another option but remember they can easily burn if you happen to get cig/cigar embers on them.
  • Like 5

I work outside year round. I hate seat covers and leather seats. For the seat back I use a couple old T shirts (tuck the neck hole under the headrest) swap them out when I wash my work clothes. Use a old bath towel for the seat bottom when needed. Carry a couple industrial clear plastic thrash bags for when I get rained on all day and have to ride home wet. One to slide over the back/headrest and one for the bottom. Date night/vacation just pull the T & towel & go.

I definitely second the Febreze but I recommend getting the “auto” fabric original scent if your not into your truck smelling like a yankee candle store. Hit mine once a month to keep it fresh.

If you already got the stenches use Ozium air sanitizer (original scent) to get the funk out. I use this once a month in the old farm/plow truck. A little goes a long way.

• Like 1