Stolen, DFW, Southlake area my 2016 Sierra Denali

10 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Nothing from Onstar?  I reckon they have a policy not to say much if anything at all to the vehicle owners; lawyer malarkey and all.  The billions they spend on security development and still the bad guys get them.

Well, I just installed the shock and tilt sensors on mine, the alarm will sound if they jack it or smash it and then maybe the bad guys will get a bad case of lead poisoning if they hand around for the porch light to come on.

I'm perplexed on how some of you say swapping ECMs gets them started, doesn't make sense to me since they have to be VIN coded I thought.

I also got the top of the line alarm with gps tracking since onstar sucks. Gotta lockerdown safe for bs I don’t want stolen and to keep my iPad in also can track that way just incase

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Nothing from Onstar?  I reckon they have a policy not to say much if anything at all to the vehicle owners; lawyer malarkey and all.  The billions they spend on security development and still the bad guys get them.

Well, I just installed the shock and tilt sensors on mine, the alarm will sound if they jack it or smash it and then maybe the bad guys will get a bad case of lead poisoning if they hand around for the porch light to come on.

I'm perplexed on how some of you say swapping ECMs gets them started, doesn't make sense to me since they have to be VIN coded I thought.

Nothing, Onstar gave up after 48 hours, its gone unless someone see's it or parts floating around online. 

its very easy to replace the ECU and drive off with the vehicle mis the tumbler, Onstar is defeated by simply unplugging the antenna, if a tow truck grabs it non of your devices will work only hope to add a 2nd GPS tracker.  

8 hours ago, camcamaro1991 said:

Nothing, Onstar gave up after 48 hours, its gone unless someone see's it or parts floating around online. 

its very easy to replace the ECU and drive off with the vehicle mis the tumbler, Onstar is defeated by simply unplugging the antenna, if a tow truck grabs it non of your devices will work only hope to add a 2nd GPS tracker.  

I'm sorry to hear this.  That ECU swap thing makes no sense to me, if you know how they do it, send me a PM if you don't want to post it in the open.  

Many years ago we had a lot of Buick muscle cars.  Thieves were always trying to steal them from us.  We had two aftermarket anti-theft devices, one is still made but for some reason does not work with airbags.  That one killed the ignition and the other was a simple kill switch to the fuel pump.  When one or the other was on, they never got the car.  One time, my little brother left the ignition one on valet and they got the motor started but she died down the block when the motor ran out of fuel and we got that one back without damage.  They would bust the column other times and couldn't get them to start and would abandon them and move on.

Consider a fuel pump kill switch on your next vehicle.

Keep us posted.  There's a Craigslist app for phones that allows one to search the entire state or all the areas they choose, much more effective than the desktop version which only searches the place selected and a few areas nearby.  A buddy is a policeman and says CL and Ebay are the biggest fencing sites!

As far as Lojack, the way it works is that first you have to notice that your vehicle was stolen. Let's say you go to bed at 10:00 and the vehicle gets stolen at 10:30. You dont notice til you go outside at 7:00 the next morning.  The thieves already have a considerable head start. Now once you notice your vehicle stolen, you call the police and have them come out to make a report. Hopefully you can remember your license plate or have the VIN # (usually on your insurance card). The police will then run your plate or VIN and verify the information. Once the report is completed and approved, the police will then enter the vehicle info into the NCIC database as long as they can verify your vehicle information. Only then after the info is entered into NCIC can Lojack activate their locator. This can sometimes be several hours after you discover your vehicle gone. And if you dont have any of the vehicle information and police are unable to verify it, it cant be put into the NCIC database and Lojack cannot activate their locator. Here is another thing. Lojack depends on police cars that have their locator equipment in them. I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find a squad car equipped with it. There is no other way to do it. On top of that, the equipment used is very primitive. The squad has to be within a couple miles to even start trying to find the vehicle. The way this works is that a combination alpha and numeric code will begin scrolling across the display. The officers then need to radio their dispatcher with the coee and hopefully the dispatcher knows how to run it. If they do, they will be given the make, model, color and identifiers for the stolen vehicle. Then their is a signal strength indicator to give the officers only a rough idea how close they are. There is also a circular indicator that shows the direction where the signal is coming from. They then have to drive in the direction and pay attention to the signal strength meter and try to get within range of the stolen vehicle. Hopefully the stolen vehicle is somewhere outside and visible but many times will be somewhere inside and no way to verify exactly where the stolen vehicle is. It is basically a crap shoot if they are able to find it. Anf this is also dependant on the thieves not knowing anything about LoJack. If they do, there is a good chance they will be able to find the locator and disable it. If that happens, game over...

So you can see that Lojack is a complete waste of money. They are happy to take your money and make you feel good about their system. But as you can see, it leaves a lot to be desired and they wont tell you about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

As far as Lojack, the way it works is that first you have to notice that your vehicle was stolen. Let's say you go to bed at 10:00 and the vehicle gets stolen at 10:30. You dont notice til you go outside at 7:00 the next morning.  The thieves already have a considerable head start. Now once you notice your vehicle stolen, you call the police and have them come out to make a report. Hopefully you can remember your license plate or have the VIN # (usually on your insurance card). The police will then run your plate or VIN and verify the information. Once the report is completed and approved, the police will then enter the vehicle info into the NCIC database as long as they can verify your vehicle information. Only then after the info is entered into NCIC can Lojack activate their locator. This can sometimes be several hours after you discover your vehicle gone. And if you dont have any of the vehicle information and police are unable to verify it, it cant be put into the NCIC database and Lojack cannot activate their locator. Here is another thing. Lojack depends on police cars that have their locator equipment in them. I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find a squad car equipped with it. There is no other way to do it. On top of that, the equipment used is very primitive. The squad has to be within a couple miles to even start trying to find the vehicle. The way this works is that a combination alpha and numeric code will begin scrolling across the display. The officers then need to radio their dispatcher with the coee and hopefully the dispatcher knows how to run it. If they do, they will be given the make, model, color and identifiers for the stolen vehicle. Then their is a signal strength indicator to give the officers only a rough idea how close they are. There is also a circular indicator that shows the direction where the signal is coming from. They then have to drive in the direction and pay attention to the signal strength meter and try to get within range of the stolen vehicle. Hopefully the stolen vehicle is somewhere outside and visible but many times will be somewhere inside and no way to verify exactly where the stolen vehicle is. It is basically a crap shoot if they are able to find it. Anf this is also dependant on the thieves not knowing anything about LoJack. If they do, there is a good chance they will be able to find the locator and disable it. If that happens, game over...

So you can see that Lojack is a complete waste of money. They are happy to take your money and make you feel good about their system. But as you can see, it leaves a lot to be desired and they wont tell you about this.

Well said sir.

• Thanks 1

On another forum, a fella has a VIPER system that he pays a fee for.  If his truck is broken into or stolen, he gets a text, email or phone call and can immediately track it on an app on his phone.  That's how I remember it anyway.

Edited by swathdiver
grammar

5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

On another forum, I fella has a VIPER system that he pays a fee for.  If his truck is broken into or stolen, he gets a text, email or phone call and can immediately track it on an app on his phone.  That's how I remember it anyway.

Yup even send you a msg on your watch and phone, I paid about 700$ for my alarm plus the 100$ fee (yearly fee) for gps. I upgraded gps  to the 4g 

8F9B33D4-AE37-47FE-BC6B-0366C0697A12.jpeg

Edited by Frankielozano214
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear about your truck being snatched bro, absolutely sucks....especially in the current situation we’re in.   Always been my dream to catch a thief while trying to break in into my house or take my bike or truck.    Imagine the look on there face when they notice why there’s red dot ? on there chest ?   Or better yet staring down the barrel of a .45 .....,

15 minutes ago, Joe98 said:

Sorry to hear about your truck being snatched bro, absolutely sucks....especially in the current situation we’re in.   Always been my dream to catch a thief while trying to break in into my house or take my bike or truck.    Imagine the look on there face when they notice why there’s red dot ? on there chest ?   Or better yet staring down the barrel of a .45 .....,

Swimming through the ashes of another life

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe98 said:

I agree, but unfortunately we will probably be the ones to go to jail while protecting our property. 

We work hours on end, blood sweat and tears to reward ourselves with decent possessions. With the tens of thousands we pay for our trucks, cars, motorcycles, you'd think it would be OK to use lethal force to protect them. But too many times it's the good guy that suffers.

While we're sitting in jail, those low-lifes will be driving around in our trucks and living in our houses... protected by the liberals.

Edited by poconojoe
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, poconojoe said:

I agree, but unfortunately we will probably be the ones to go to jail while protecting our property. 

We work hours on end, blood sweat and tears to reward ourselves with decent possessions. With the tens of thousands we pay for our trucks, cars, motorcycles, you'd think it would be OK to use lethal force to protect them. But too many times it's the good guy that suffers.

While we're sitting in jail, those low-lifes will be driving around in our trucks and living in our houses... protected by the liberals.

Yup.....couldn’t have said it better myself.  ?

Exactly. Criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens. I’ll still take my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk