Does the factory battery suck?

My truck is only a year old.   Battery is reading about 12.  Would it be covered under warranty?   Is this considered normal?  

12v? Assuming when the truck is on?

As long as it doesn't go below 11 volts its fine. these newer trucks will fluctuate between 11.5-14.5 volts . The alternator charges on demand according to the EPM. (all while running)

Thanks for correcting me @dsr611

Edited by BlancoSilverado
Correcting PCM to EPM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, num said:

My truck is only a year old.   Battery is reading about 12.  Would it be covered under warranty?   Is this considered normal?  

From my personal experience. Mine only last 2 years. Which is kinda sad. 

This was a leftover 18 that I bought in 19 I for driving it for a year with no issues I was towing something today and then noticed the battery level and dropped now that I’m driving back after about 20 minutes it went back up to 14. I think I’m going to just go ahead and replace the battery with a yellow top or something More stout.  
I hate to get stuck on the side of the road was trying to save $200

OEM battery in my ‘14 lasted me 95k and 3500 engine hours before I changed it. It tested as “marginal” at time of inspection in December and passed, but I changed it before the single digit temps hit. 

Edited by CbrownGT

As BlancoSilverado mentioned, the voltage will vary. I've seen as high as 15v to a low around 12v. The alternator will adjust depending on the needs of the electrical system. Temp seems to play a part too. I generally notice higher voltage in the winter vs the summer. If the truck starts easily then I would say your battery is fine.

Here are a couple articles I found explaining this voltage regulation:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/350

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/high-output-a-look-at-todays-charging-systems/

• Thanks 1

This was a leftover 18 that I bought in 19 I for driving it for a year with no issues I was towing something today and then noticed the battery level and dropped now that I’m driving back after about 20 minutes it went back up to 14. I think I’m going to just go ahead and replace the battery with a yellow top or something More stout.  
If you do end up changing it I would stay away from Optima. I would go with a Walmart Valuepower before Optima. Their quality and batteries are complete garbage now. I stick to Interstate for my battery needs.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I bought an "18 manufactured in January 2019. Battery sits at 12.8 after it is driven an hour or so. Mine has occasion to sit through the week and i use it on weekends. Had some hiccups in the radio... which i figure is a flat battery. 12.0 after sitting a week... Typically an AGM battery will have 12.5 volts at 70 deg if it is half charged.

My battery is probably sulfated... so it does not really take a full charge anymore. it is probably at 1.5 years or so... 

3 hours ago, num said:

If the battery is truly bad, it is probably because of this:

Today's vehicles have a lot of accessories and features that draw a small amount of current when the engine is off. If a vehicle sits on a dealer's lot for too long, the battery runs down. Car dealers call it "lot rot".

My 2017 went bad about one month ago (just about 3 years of use and only 22,000 miles). Got it towed and had the battery replaced, both for free under warranty. The battery was 100% dead though, not just weak.