UCA failure and leveling kits

I’ve been seeing folks on other forums talking about UCA failure/breakage as a result of leveling kits- specifically the MotoFab 2.5” upper strut puck system. Has anyone got any experience on this?  I’m currently running the Zone 2” upper pucks up front and wondering if I need to go back to stock for the time being. 

• 5 months later...

Just talked to service department about this and he told me no issues doing and they will do my truck as soon as it comes in. Not sure of brand they are using and I know I could get it done cheaper somewhere else but I figured if they installed and approved then if something happens its on them

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of changing struts and adding zone upper control arms. Mines a trail boss and I added 1.5" leveling block to offset the winch I have. (My balljoints are shot and a strut is blown after about 15k miles). Seems like the problem is is the ball joint binding up when the suspension unloads. Id just get the control arms and be done with it.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, Norcent said:

So if i'm understanding this... 2in your good.... any more your playing with fate?

Seems to be the consensus.

The factory control arms are engineered for both the 0" of lift on a regular 1500 and the 2" of lift on the Trail Boss. It's the same UCA on both trucks. Lifting a non-Trail Boss truck  2" is putting the UCA and ball joints at essentially the same operating angles/conditions as a stock Trail Boss. This is why the only GM designed, authorized and warrantied 2" lift for non-TB/AT4 trucks does not include, or require, new UCAs. The GM 2" lift kit is basically comprised of the different/additional parts from the Trail Boss/AT4.

My thoughts, I wouldn't change the UCAs on a non-Trail Boss with a lift up to 2" but I would change the UCAs with any additional lift on a Trail Boss or an AT4 (already at, or near, UCA limit).

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

7 hours ago, RWTJR said:

My thoughts, I wouldn't change the UCAs on a non-Trail Boss with a lift up to 2" but I would change the UCAs with any additional lift on a Trail Boss or an AT4 (already at, or near, UCA limit).

Well said.  

There are so many on Facebook with problems with those arms from everything besides stock. Most of it tho is with the bigger tire like 35s.  If you never seen how bad a blown upper ball joint or one ripped off the arm looks you might want to. If it was me it would be a piece of mind to just do ucas. 

2 hours ago, Flatblack83 said:

There are so many on Facebook with problems with those arms from everything besides stock. Most of it tho is with the bigger tire like 35s.  If you never seen how bad a blown upper ball joint or one ripped off the arm looks you might want to. If it was me it would be a piece of mind to just do ucas. 

got a link to pics...thanks