Good Deal? Yea or nay?

3 hours ago, LowCountrySLT said:

Yeah, I know in my heart of hearts it’s not a good deal. But it’s the only one within 500 miles that’s exactly what I want. And it’s one of only a few 3.0L diesels.  Believe me, I made a detailed offer but they wouldn’t budge.  Five dealers within 100 miles of here. Two offer 5% dealer discount but have no diesels, two don’t seem to be interested in dealer discount or in being competitive. The 5th is unknown. Had a 2011 Yukon Denali in another locale but never dealt with this local dealer. Mostly I’m just venting but $3k is nothing to sneeze at. That buys a tri-fold tonneau and some other mods. And experience tells me that I’ll eventually find the deal I want but will most likely need to compromise on color, options etc. haven’t yet explored the idea of a swap between dealers but supply is somewhat limited. And so on........  the quest shall continue. 

Yea, don't compromise on a truck for that price, you sublimely will find reasons not to like it, human nature. 

Are you going in with your financing? Maybe ask to speak with the fleet manger, find a truck (do their job for them) you like and ask what it will take to do a dealer trade, really lay on the charm, "really want to do business with a local dealer with all that is going in the world today", and if they don't want to play, find someone who will.

You have bought enough cars to win this battle, just don't give up without a fight for the truck you want.

Good luck, was not trying to offend you, but it is your money and your decision, all we provide is good and bad advice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Yea, don't compromise on a truck for that price, you sublimely will find reasons not to like it, human nature. 

Are you going in with your financing? Maybe ask to speak with the fleet manger, find a truck (do their job for them) you like and ask what it will take to do a dealer trade, really lay on the charm, "really want to do business with a local dealer with all that is going in the world today", and if they don't want to play, find someone who will.

You have bought enough cars to win this battle, just don't give up without a fight for the truck you want.

Good luck, was not trying to offend you, but it is your money and your decision, all we provide is good and bad advice. 

Thanks and yes I know the drill.  Your advice to do business with a local dealer, considering current events, is good advice.  It's a new day here on the east coast and I'm of a mind to say screw it, end the haggling and get what I want even if it's a few bucks more.  I'm retired and like I said it's a bucket list item.  In all likelihood, this'll be my first and only truck so why not go all-in.  Here's a photo.  Not to mention that my wife's getting a bit impatient.........shall we say......... with my current obsession!

IMG_0014.jpg

Edited by LowCountrySLT

My 2 cents. I would buy a new truck every two-three years. I traveled a lot grew anxious for a new one. So I bought deals. Usually mid level to loaded. It all depended on the discount. It kept me from being upside down. It didn’t matter too much they were write offs, just a mind game with myself. I started getting tired of them in two years no matter the equipment. My wife on the other hand 5 years or more no problem. Hers are loaded. Three of hers are still in the family. If you keep them awhile don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a bad deal to me. On my $55k '18 SLT i paid $41k.I could only choose white or red tint... you have to keep them until the powertrain warranty is used up... unless you are Gates or Buffet...

Until dealer stock is replenished deals are going to be hard to come by. Patience my son. Wait it out. No need to hurry. If I understand the average discounts I could wait to save an extra $ 4 - $6 K or more maybe.

Use the money saved for a vacation or? Why give it away?

:)

My 2 cents, Build the vehicle on the GMC website that you want and us their locator feature and select the highest mileage distance out and see what other dealers have. Is it worth a road trip to save more money? 

See if the dealer will through in window tint and mud flaps? Something little to ease the cost?

Laura's Buick and GMC?

On 7/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, Wiggums said:

I found one with an MSRP of $63,275 going for $50,000. It's in Louisiana.... any chance it's similar to the one you're looking at?

I'd expect around $10k to $12k off of it... not $6k.

image.thumb.png.fdac694fd1985f1264b901f7c660298e.png 

Not with today's Inventory levels

1 hour ago, Pappy58 said:

Not with today's Inventory levels

Then tell the people with that ad they cannot post that price with today's inventory levels!

I still see $10k off but it's getting fewer and fewer.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?drvTrnId=27105&mdId=22044%2C22061&mkId=20053%2C20015%2C20061%2C44763&mlgId=28872&page=1&perPage=100&prMn=10000&rd=200&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&trId=24967&yrId=36362520%2C36620293&zc=92675

Only seven SLT's for sale within 200-mile radius from where I am and a lot are $10k off.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Like 1

I got $15K off on my SLT (granted, it was a demo) a year and a half ago. I could find other trucks with similar discounts fairly easily. Similar trucks to mine are, at most, $10K off MSRP right now. 

Here's the dealer website listing for the truck @Wiggums posted. 

https://www.rossdowningbuickgmcgonzales.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-GMC-Sierra_1500-SLT_4X4-Gonzales-LA/4588698083?utm_campaign=deeplink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com

They don't show any special offers (like lease loyalty, etc), but I guarantee that truck is probably loaded with addendum garbage like tint, pinstripes, paint protection, floor liners. That was one thing I had to fight with the dealer over when I bought my truck. They tried to claw that big discount back through garbage like that. I was able to get them to eat some items like nitrogen fill and interior scotchgard, but I still ended up paying for the tint and floor liners. 

4 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

They don't show any special offers (like lease loyalty, etc), but I guarantee that truck is probably loaded with addendum garbage like tint, pinstripes, paint protection, floor liners. That was one thing I had to fight with the dealer over when I bought my truck.

MSRP straight from the factory showed $63,275 as well, no addendum garbage.

Over the past ten years, I have bought four new trucks and have helped at least ten people find the best deals, almost always at least $10k off. Two weeks ago, I helped a friend get a $65,000 SLT for $53,000 from a local dealership. It was also in the ad as well. I know which dealers always try to upsell stupid stuff such as interior protection packages. Once they see me waltz in with somebody, they know, oh, boy, do they know...

Go to Laura's GMC online  and see what they have.  I just looked and it looks like they have 12 in grey with the3.0 diesel and sunroof.  I don't know what other options your looking for, but on average they are 10k off price.  They are by St Louis, BUT I've heard of lots of people flying in, buying and driving the vehicle back home. 

Added.  I have to say that I've never bought from them , BUT have called them a few times.  I was looking at a new truck and they had exactly what I wanted.  My problem was I had a trade in and didn't want to deal with driving it there and back if I felt they didn't offer me enough for my trade in.  If you have no trade in they are hard to beat, but keep in mind they don't hold vehicles.  What you might want today, could be gone tomorrow.

Edited by rv245
  • Like 2

Go to Laura's GMC  and see what they have.  I just looked and it looks like they have 12 in grey with the3.0 diesel and sunroof.  I don't know what other options your looking for, but on average they are 10k off price.  They by St Louis, BUT I've heard of lots of people flying in, buying and driving the vehicle back home. 

Agree with rv245.

This is pretty much the truck you are looking at. Dark sky, x31, diesel, sunroof SLT. $11k off without any haggling, worth flying and driving it home IMO.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SLT-Collinsville-IL/4209783963#close

13 hours ago, LowCountrySLT said:

Thanks and yes I know the drill.  Your advice to do business with a local dealer, considering current events, is good advice.  It's a new day here on the east coast and I'm of a mind to say screw it, end the haggling and get what I want even if it's a few bucks more.  I'm retired and like I said it's a bucket list item.  In all likelihood, this'll be my first and only truck so why not go all-in.  Here's a photo.  Not to mention that my wife's getting a bit impatient.........shall we say......... with my current obsession!

IMG_0014.jpg

Good luck, both with the wife and your decision. 

It is a good looking truck, maybe take it for the day, take her (your wife in the truck) out to lunch/dinner, and then see where you are at mentally. 

Edited by JimCost2014

I would have no problem flying to different state and driving back....in fact it would be kinda nice

1 hour ago, hotrodz37 said:

Agree with rv245.

This is pretty much the truck you are looking at. Dark sky, x31, diesel, sunroof SLT. $11k off without any haggling, worth flying and driving it home IMO.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SLT-Collinsville-IL/4209783963#close