Towing sag

25 minutes ago, Mark Frazier said:

I have a 2018 Sierra elevation four-wheel-drive towing package I pull a 25 foot camper Any ideas how to get the SAG out of the truck and trailer

Roadmaster Active Suspension.  These make your daily ride better and have impressive towing and hauling improvements.  The reviews speak for themselves, but these really are the best you can get.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Vehicle_Suspension-pm-RAS.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL6ClR287IecORqnkUBJFBlT-EDWvyXoyVduInR79Ifs74IkI7mTXoBoCC1IQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

I would start with a good and properly set up weight distribution hitch. I have had my toy hauler loaded to 9k pounds and my truck sits level with just the weight distribution hitch. I think air bags would help take some of the bounce out of the tongue on larger bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ditto on the hitch. You don't need airbags or add a leafs or any of that nonsense. You need a weight distributing hitch.

Say you have a 1000 lb tongue weight and the truck sags. With a Weight distributing hitch you can adjust it to level it out and throw more weight on your steer tires. I tow the same size trailer with my stock 18 5.3 Silverado with a weight distributing hitch.

You need a weight distributing hitch.34b8a3c2e6fbfb26e603b52b3fd52a88.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, bobbylx said:

Just another vote for weight distribution hitch. I pull a 28ft travel trailer and with the WDH the back of my truck doesn’t sag at all. I did add air bags to get rid of the bounce on rough highways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same situation, I added airbags too.  I also added LT tires which helps reduce sway when being passed buy large vehicles.  

• Like 2

You want a good, properly adjusted weight distribution hitch.  I prefer the ones with built in sway control such as fastway or equalizer.  I have an e2 and it’s really awesome.

If you’ve still got issues after that, than Roadmaster Active Suspension is the next step.  I’d also upgrade to LT tires, but try airing the ones you have up to max before spending money on new.

I somewhat disagree with the Weight dist hitch crowd. That device is NOT supposed to help SUPPORT the LOAD! its job is to virtually shift the load from the rear bumper to just forward of the rear axle (Like a fifth wheel). If you add too much WDH it is possible the load point can be too far forward. In this condition if you have a hard braking event the front end will dive and the rear wheels will lift/unload and jackknife the rig.

Carrying a load is the singular job of springs and air bags. either get beefier springs if you tow a lot or a good set of airbags to keep good ride when not towing. I use airbags and pump them till the truck is level and then set the WDH taught enough that the rear stays planted well not lifting and front doesn't dive under braking. Adding high pressure tires and friction sway bars are also great ideas.

I pull a 32' toy hauler right at the max of the max tow pkg in a 1500 6.2 truck with some scary moments till I sorted this out. now it is solid and predictable. Do Not Over tighten the WDH it is dangerous!

Edited by Pearl2017
  • Like 1

I somewhat disagree with the Weight dist hitch crowd. That device is NOT supposed to help SUPPORT the LOAD! its job is to virtually shift the load from the rear bumper to just forward of the rear axle (Like a fifth wheel). If you add too much WDH it is possible the load point can be too far forward. In this condition if you have a hard braking event the front end will dive and the rear wheels will lift/unload and jackknife the rig.

Carrying a load is the singular job of springs and air bags. either get beefier springs if you tow a lot or a good set of airbags to keep good ride when not towing. I use airbags and pump them till the truck is level and then set the WDH taught enough that the rear stays planted well not lifting and front doesn't dive under braking. Adding high pressure tires and friction sway bars are also great ideas.

I pull a 32' toy hauler right at the max of the max tow pkg in a 1500 6.2 truck with some scary moments till I sorted this out. now it is solid and predictable. Do Not Over tighten the WDH it is dangerous!
If you don't have the hitch set right it is not effective. There is definitely a fine line to get these set right and a lot of guys have trouble because they don't know how to set it.
The main purpose is to get some of the tongue weight off your bumper and transfer it to the steer tires.
If you don't use a WDH your truck sags and your light on your steer tires . Have fun with that in the wind.
I've towed my 25' Travel trailer without the WDH and there is a night and day difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your right in the part that if not done correctly, you can "lift" the back wheels to there point of minimal contact.

But that means you are not set up correctly with your weight distribution hitch! It should be transferring weight to your front axle, while removing weight from the rear. Both your front and rear should "squat the same amount.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 12:59 AM, Pearl2017 said:

Its all in the name. Weight Distribution hitch. Distribute that tongue weight evenly. OP never said if he has one. If he doesn't, he should get a good one, and have it set up properly. 

cheapest route is to shif some weight to the rear of trailer, and add 2-3" higher hitch.. i never used weight distribution hitch. too much hassle and $$$.  if you really want a quick lift one can try a set of cheap air shocks too. but the key is Weight "BALANCE" 

Edited by flyingfool