Max Tow NHT 6.2?

I pull a 34' camper occasionally with mine and I think this is a great towing setup....solid footing and stable.  Although the loaded weight is likely only about 7500-8000lbs and not much of a challenge for it.  

• Like 1

Love mine, tows easy, rides pretty well unloaded considering.  Doesn't seem like the difference between stock 3.23 gears and the NHT 3.42s is that great, but my fuel mileage is nowhere near what a lot of guys claim their 6.2s get...over my first 2300 miles, averaging 12.2mpg.  Lots of city stop and go, but I drive it like an old man trying to get better mpgs...my 2010 NHT w 6.2L and 3.73s (with only a 6 speed!) got much better mileage over its lifetime. 

But all in all it's nice to have that safety margin when towing...my '73 K5 rock crawler on an 18' car hauler is over 9,000lbs, and having the 1,700lbs of cargo capacity is necessary then... I am in that "probably should have a 2500 truck" category, but I like the ride of the 1500s for my daily driver, so going with NHT gets me in that sweet spot. 

• Like 2

Ha! I drive like an old man also, but I'm getting between 15-17mpg in town.  I get caught in morning and afternoon rush hour everyday.  When I don't have to bring my 9 yo son to school and arrive earlier to work, I get 18-19mpg.  My family and I just got back from a friend's lake house where the drive was mostly back roads and  speeds of about 55mpg,  I averaged 21-22mpg round trip.  And that's with Ridge Grappler tires..  The truck has about 14,500 miles now.

• Like 1

Absolutely love mine. I get about 13.5 mostly city driving and I hit the gas like you should with a 6.2.  Pulled my father in laws almost 9k lb trailer just fine. The 10 speed is just so damn nice. 

Best package you can get IMO. Best ride of the 3 normal (non-Denali/ non factory lifted) suspensions, best performance. Economy does seem to take a bit of a hit. My lifetime is 14.2. On the highway, expect 19-20.

But it pulls like beast. My smaller 3500 pound trailer you can drive like literally nothing is there...pass, merge, gap the Camry next to you, whatever. Even heavily loaded there is no lack of grunt or control and it doesn’t squat near as much as base suspension or Z71.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I started off with the 5.3 NHT in my profile pic and then moved up to a 2500 duramax.  It's been about 2 years since I got rid of that and now seriously considering the 6.2 NHT.  Sounds like a great truck but the 24 gallon tank is kind of a joke.  I don't pull often but when I do it's a 37'11" 10K pound travel trailer.  12 mpg seems reasonable around town considering.  My old denali would pull about 12/18 so anything better is money.

Thanks everyone.  I started off with the 5.3 NHT in my profile pic and then moved up to a 2500 duramax.  It's been about 2 years since I got rid of that and now seriously considering the 6.2 NHT.  Sounds like a great truck but the 24 gallon tank is kind of a joke.  I don't pull often but when I do it's a 37'11" 10K pound travel trailer.  12 mpg seems reasonable around town considering.  My old denali would pull about 12/18 so anything better is money.

With a trailer that long, I’d be more concerned with that than the weight. Just my opinion, but that’s too much length for a half ton stability.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bamorris2 said:

With a trailer that long, I’d be more concerned with that than the weight. Just my opinion, but that’s too much length for a half ton stability.

You are correct...something I've really been waffling Surprisingly the biggest issue I had was porpoising.  Upgraded to the bilstein 5100s and it towed really nice but the ride was complete crap unloaded.  Once I went to the exact same cab/box config in a sierra 2500 z71 the added weight from the diesel settled it out.  Did a couple of test tows with f250 short and long beds (gassers).  The short bed felt like my silverado but the long bed was really nice.

3 hours ago, calgator73 said:

That trailer is definitely 3/4 ton territory.  I would not tow that with my 6.2L NHT.