I have an 06 Silverado with 215k miles. Has the L33 Aluminum Block 5.3 in it. It runs great, has good power, but has an odd ticking/knocking noise. It doesn’t make the noise until it’s been running for about a minute so I don’t think it’s exhaust. I also do not think it’s a lifter because it sounds more lower end towards the rear of the engine. Has anyone had any experience with these L33s knocking? It has been making this noise for a while now and it’s very annoying/embarrassing. I’m not sure if oil has anything to do with it but I use penzoil 5w30 full syn. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks.

Also post over on scannerdanner.com forums. Great forums and there's guys there doing this type of stuff day in and day out. Seems as if responses are slower during weekdays here on GM when everyone's working vs on scannerdanner when people stay up to task. 

You could have a variety of things going on. How current do you keep your would changes ja the first question I ask people as you'd be surprised some of the stuff I see and hear in training webinars from other shop owners, techs. 

Does this have the Displacement on Demand where it deactivates ****** amount of cylinders? OR was this the following year on these engines. I know there was a certain year and I get the 66and 8 cylinders mixed up. 

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

Piston slap is a known thing on the LS engines. If it happens at idle, that is pretty normal.

Would it have piston slap while it’s warm? It also has good oil pressure too I should add. And it does only do it at idle.

4 hours ago, VinceWeiss said:

I have an 06 Silverado with 215k miles. Has the L33 Aluminum Block 5.3 in it. It runs great, has good power, but has an odd ticking/knocking noise. It doesn’t make the noise until it’s been running for about a minute so I don’t think it’s exhaust. I also do not think it’s a lifter because it sounds more lower end towards the rear of the engine. Has anyone had any experience with these L33s knocking? It has been making this noise for a while now and it’s very annoying/embarrassing. I’m not sure if oil has anything to do with it but I use penzoil 5w30 full syn. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks.

Get a wrench on your torque converter bolts.  L33 is a great motor.