Good air intake brand

Greetings,,

Would like to get a performance air intake for my 18 Tahoe Premier 5.3L, what are the recommendations?

All I know about brands are K&N as well as S&B, but don’t know how they perform or how good are they side by side.

I live in a hot/harsh and dusty environment so I believe I have to take care of it more and to get the filter sock.

I am not sure as well if I have to run it into dyno and get it tuned or not.

My goal is to get a balance of performance and reliability

Hit me with the info and experience you got

Thanks in advance

Keep the one you have. But if your dead set on it I would recommend doing some searches on google. There's a lot of information out there, more then you would get from anyone's response on here.

That being said, I have a cold air inductions intake. The only reason I went with cai is because gm liked their camaro intake so much they bought the rights to sell it as their own. 

• Like 1

AFE momentum gt has great low end performance some good peak gains.

Get what you want at the end of the day.

Don't listen to the guys that say CAI are a waste of money.  Stats don't lie.

Goodluck

Edited by TheGreatOne
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

AFE momentum gt has great low end performance some good peak gains.

Get what you want at the end of the day.

Don't listen to the guys that say CAI are a waste of money.  Stats don't lie.

Goodluck

I went with the AFE momentum GT as well. This intake along with my Borla ATAK exhaust woke my truck up. 

• Like 2

This a contentious topic no doubt and I don't have any first-hand experience on this particular vehicle platform. I spend a lot of time over on HP Tuners Gen 5 forum as I've been working self tuning my truck. There's a few well-known tuners over there, one of which that exclusively tunes on a dyno taking time to make short runs off idle to 3000 RPM to dial in the low RPM areas. That guy is a big proponent of CAIs on the 6.2 trucks. He doesn't specifically mention the 5.3s but logic would argue that if the stock air box and tube assembly (I think the 6.2 has a little additional fender cutout) supports 420 HP and 460 TQ then it will probably suffice for a mildly built 5.3. Maybe that's too simplistic of a view point though ?‍♂️

• Like 1

i wonder how critical air temp is with DI motor? yes its a little less dense entering the cylinder , buti wonder how hot you can have the air intake before its really an issue?

i would focus more on trans tuning and Torque Managemnt , and getting the throttle to 100% open first, then work on cooling engine and trans..then start fixing the AFR and last timing adjustments

Edited by flyingfool

I went with Spectre.  I can tell a difference, don't know if it was worth $160, but I can hear the engine now for sure. OR just drive like the old man I am and it sounds just like it did before mod.

CAI FILTER BOX.jpg

CAI INSTALLATION2.jpg

CAI MA CONNECTORHEIC.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, SARNCAN said:

Greetings,,

Would like to get a performance air intake for my 18 Tahoe Premier 5.3L, what are the recommendations?

All I know about brands are K&N as well as S&B, but don’t know how they perform or how good are they side by side.

I live in a hot/harsh and dusty environment so I believe I have to take care of it more and to get the filter sock.

I am not sure as well if I have to run it into dyno and get it tuned or not.

My goal is to get a balance of performance and reliability

Hit me with the info and experience you got

Thanks in advance

Good belief! Retain the stock box and paper AC-Delco filter. It is already a cold air system. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Good belief! Retain the stock box and paper AC-Delco filter. It is already a cold air system. 

Wait a minute... Are you trying to tell me this isn't 1989 and my truck doesn't have a heated air inlet?  Balderdash!  Next you're going to say they got rid of the throttle body injection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1