Looking at a ‘21 Denali

Like the title says, I’m looking hard at trading in my truck for a brand new Denali. I want one with pretty much every option, as this will be kept for a long long time. There’s a couple 6.2, and a couple 3.0.

I’ve read a lot of the posts, but I’m not sure what some common problems are with the ‘21s, as opposed to random problems here and there. I’m in Wisconsin, and I’m kinda looking towards the diesel. I don’t tow much, just a 16’ fishing boat or a 12’ utility trailer with a SxS on it.

Merry Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mercracing - I have a '21 SLT premium plus. Overall love the truck. I have only had it for 11 days so far and already have the leaking rear sliding window. It appears they have not fixed this issue at the factory yet - so be aware and review the thread on that issue.  

Other than the above I love the truck and like it so much better than the 2018 F150 Platinum I traded. FYI I had numerous issues with the F150, included door latch recall (4 trips to dealer to fix it), ecoboost cam shaft phaser issue (required major engine work to solve), seat wire harness issues and the damn moon roof rattled from day 1 and they could never fix it. Truck had 30k miles on it and was ready to go out of warranty when I traded it. 

Good luck to you.

Dave

I have a '20 Denali......Carbon Black, 6.2 and loaded.  After five months and 5400 miles I'm very pleased with it.  No issues.  Tows a 6500 lb. travel trailer with ease.  I wish it had a larger fuel tank and had I been able to locate a 3.0 similarly equipped I would have gone with the diesel.  Have owned 2 German diesel SUV's in the past and loved their performance and fuel efficiency.

Happy hunting.       

IMG_1033.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercracing said:

Like the title says, I’m looking hard at trading in my truck for a brand new Denali. I want one with pretty much every option, as this will be kept for a long long time. There’s a couple 6.2, and a couple 3.0.

I’ve read a lot of the posts, but I’m not sure what some common problems are with the ‘21s, as opposed to random problems here and there. I’m in Wisconsin, and I’m kinda looking towards the diesel. I don’t tow much, just a 16’ fishing boat or a 12’ utility trailer with a SxS on it.

Merry Christmas!!

Go for the diesel; custom order it if you have too.  I have the 3.0L Duramax in my 2020 LTZ and it is really impressive with the 10 speed.  

Certainly, the 0-60 time is less than that of the 6.2L,  however I chose the diesel for longevity, durability, and MPG.

If you're just wanting to go fast and/or MPG is not a concern, then go for the 6.2L.

9 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

Sounds like the diesel should be the winner for me.
Does the 6.2 require premium fuel?

Recommended Premium Fuel for the 6.2

25 minutes ago, bshort said:

Don't think the longevity and durability is proven yet for the diesel

Plus the 6.2 so far in this form since 2014 has been solid. I'm on my 3rd , 2014 , 2016 and currently 2019 

A mix of 87 and 91 , never pinged and I drive em' like I stole em' 

I also have nothing bad to say against the Baby Dirty max, love that engine too 

1 hour ago, bshort said:

Don't think the longevity and durability is proven yet for the diesel

You're right, I should have stated "expected longevity and durability". Let's hope our expectations hold true.

3.0 has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, vs 60,000 powertrain for the gassers. 

(and since the change in the fall, it's also cheaper than the 6.2L)

Edited by redwngr

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Same as the gassers, 5 years. So if you aren’t gonna do more than 12k miles a year it makes no difference.

True, but the 100,000 miles speaks to the question of GM's degree of confidence in the reliability. 

Same warranty as the 6.6L Dmax

(fwiw, the 2.8L baby max does not get the 100,000 mile warranty)

Bumper to bumper is 3 year / 36,000 on all of them