Is the Bilstein hype real?

Hey all!  The most “upgraded” suspension I’ve ever had is the Ranchos on my 2020 X31 Elevation.  I had leveled my F150 FX4 before I got this truck, and had no issues with the ride quality.  In all honesty, the ranchos ride much better than any truck I’ve had before, even my wife agrees.  With that said, I want to level this truck, but am back and forth on the spacer vs the bilsteins all around.  Is it really THAT noticeable?  I know it’s not a million bucks, but 60 vs 500 Ish is a pretty drastic swing.

Thanks!

5100's are the best struts for the money. But not sure most who want a level want a "Bilstein 5100 ride." They are off-road oriented shocks. Compared to the Ranchos they will give you an much "stiffer" & "planted" ride. If you are looking for a "better ride." You should define what "better" looks like for your vehiicle. The stock Ranchos are absolute garbage but are on the "extremely soft" side of struts. 

Another EXTREMELY IMPORTANT factor of the equation is what springs are you running. The stock springs are EXTREMELY soft. Aftermarket springs are going to give you that firm, planted feel, with less travel off-road. It all depends on what you are going to do/want. For all intents and purposes the "soft" suspension is what 80% of people want and are ultimately disappointed when they install an "off-road suspension."

FWIW if you want to actually upgrade your suspension you should replace:

Front Struts

Springs

Extended End Links

Rear Shocks

Upper Control Arms

• Thanks 1

Yes.   Yes they are.   I get a new truck every 2 years/ish.   100K miles every 2 years.   I've had very suspension GM offers... Ranchos (3) times.   Once I left them because I was not aware of the Bilsteins.   My last (2) trucks I swapped and LOVED them... About to do it to this this truck as well.  Do it... Makes the truck feel more stable... you will still get articulation, but are you really going to off road the truck anyway?   They are properly tuned.   

Bilstein's are much better than Rancho's one road and off.  I have had them on several vehicles and pulled my Ranchos off for them with only a few thousand miles on them.  Farther up the shock range, I have reservoir Fox's on my Jeep and have driven a few trucks and SUV's with King's.  SOS, you get what you pay for.

20200910_165336.jpg

Bilsteins are better than Ranchos for sure, but I like the Eibachs better than the Bilsteins and you get upgraded springs as well.  Check at the Eibach Pro Truck lift, it includes 4 shocks and 2 springs.  The ride characteristics are top noch, and I say that with the acknowledgment that I've been a Bilstein "fan boy" the last 20 years.

• Like 1

i checked eibach and they say something different about sierra than silverado.....wonder if anyone has done a eibach kit for sierra.....have to believe its same plus i live really close to them and can have them do it

bilstein uses digressive valving ( lcon)

eibach uses progressive valving ( king, fox, and most others)

not a right or wrong way just different methods of valving

can see where a progressive setup would be a bit more forgiving for DD...

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, superhighsierra said:

5100's are the best struts for the money. But not sure most who want a level want a "Bilstein 5100 ride." They are off-road oriented shocks. Compared to the Ranchos they will give you an much "stiffer" & "planted" ride. If you are looking for a "better ride." You should define what "better" looks like for your vehiicle. The stock Ranchos are absolute garbage but are on the "extremely soft" side of struts. 

Another EXTREMELY IMPORTANT factor of the equation is what springs are you running. The stock springs are EXTREMELY soft. Aftermarket springs are going to give you that firm, planted feel, with less travel off-road. It all depends on what you are going to do/want. For all intents and purposes the "soft" suspension is what 80% of people want and are ultimately disappointed when they install an "off-road suspension."

Front Struts

Springs

Extended End Links

Rear Shocks

Upper Control Arms

I think this is what a lot of people probably don't think about, and...despite ME wanting a more firm, planted ride, and this feel, I think my 3 daughters and wife would complain to high heaven on 12 hr drives on vacation...or 30 min drives to and from sports each day, lol.  They are "garbage" but what most people want?  Is there a happy medium somewhere, lol?

At this point I'm leaning towards the top mounted spacer and calling it a day, as despite the ranchos being "garbage", which I assumed they were, my wife got in when I bought it and said "OMG, this rides SOOOOO much nicer than your F150 FX4", so your point is totally well taken.

springs basically just hold up the vehicle weight.....all the dampening is or should be done with the shock, you want to run lightest springs you need to hold up the truck (if you have winch, steel bumpers, or equipment) than they should be little stiffer.....if you are feeling the springs its not because the springs are too soft or too stiff (doubtful they are too stiff) its because the shock has improper dampening abilities....you should not feel the springs in proper set of shocks.......springs hold up the vehicle at ride height and thats their only job....if you overspring a vehicle and have little dampening in shock the spring will over take the shocks capacity......but believe most companies have that already figured into their coilover packages unless your running extra weight, if you are tell them and they may want you to go 700lb spring vs a 600lb or whatever case may be

get correct shock with ability to dampen the forces  and type of driving you do ( will be a compromise if DD and slamming it offroad)...if not no worries

no shock has ability to do both extremely well, its just not possible even with clickers (fine tune).....and springs offer no dampening characteristics....without dampening of a shock they just pogo up and down forever.....

Edited by Dunn

Trucks are hard if you treat the suspension system like a truck. How many cars do you ask to carry a ton in the trunk? If you ignore it's truck function it gets easier both on and off road. Yes if you bought to primarily tow or haul near the limit then skip this post. 

Dunn nails the springs function but that is one of three parts. Dampening and............and.........travel!! 

Enough travel for your largest deflection, Enough spring to put the shock around 50% travel. Enough dampening to stroke the shock 90% of it's travel at 90% of your expected normal speed. Play with that. It will come to you. 

BTW, King OEM are quite linear as delivered in dampening. 😉 

I always have a bad case of scope creep so  I ended up with front 6112’s and rear 5160’s instead of 5100’s all around. Was going to get King 2.5’s but the wait was just way too long for me. 

The Bilsteins accomplished EXACTLY what I was wanting. I couldn’t be happier with them and I’m happier every time I drive my truck. My wife even commented how much better the ride felt to her. 

These replaced the OEM Z71 Ranchos. I was unhappy with how they felt over the pot holes, rough road sections, and speed bumps I encounter every day. The Bilsteins feel much better going over these. As well as much better on the highway in sections when the truck would previously feel “floaty”. The truck now settles quicker and I feel more in control. They are firmer which accomplishes this however they are NOT stiff at all. 

Is the Bilstein hype real? I would answer that with a resounding yes. 

• Like 1

Front Struts
Springs
Extended End Links
Rear Shocks
Upper Control Arms
In my particular instance, I'm looking to only replace the shocks to eliminate the bounce issue and wheel hop in the rear. I have a '19 LTZ 4x4 without the Z71 package. Driving around DFW there are lots of dips it seems and the truck seems to bounce harshly and float for an eternity. I'm curious if upgrading to Bilstein's at all 4 corners only would suffice, or if other upgrades would also be necessary? No hardcore off roading planned, just looking to settle the ride down and stabilize it. Def appreciate any input!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk