Center console to radio harness

On 1/1/2022 at 4:45 AM, Transient said:

I don't know if you can swap that to 2 USBs.  The harness that connects the USB/Aux in the center console is the same one that gives you wireless charging and rear heat.  To swap it you might need to modify the wire harness to accept your change.  I really don't know without looking at the actual pieces. 

Question, I have a 2021 Silverado custom and just swapped the Jumpseat for a center console. I didn’t see anywhere to connect the harness included with the center console so it has no power going to it. Is there a connection somewhere that I’m not seeing? Or is there a way to get power to it at all?

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/1/2022 at 4:45 AM, Transient said:

I don't know if you can swap that to 2 USBs.  The harness that connects the USB/Aux in the center console is the same one that gives you wireless charging and rear heat.  To swap it you might need to modify the wire harness to accept your change.  I really don't know without looking at the actual pieces. 

I meant to add, I do not have rear heated seats or wireless phone charging. The center console I got was from a ‘19 RST and it does have an SD slot. but I don’t think I have an SD slot anywhere else.

Edited by Jmiller1414

10 hours ago, Jmiller1414 said:

Question, I have a 2021 Silverado custom and just swapped the Jumpseat for a center console. I didn’t see anywhere to connect the harness included with the center console so it has no power going to it. Is there a connection somewhere that I’m not seeing? Or is there a way to get power to it at all?

Thanks

The harness primarily runs under the console.  If you remove the piece with the cup holders and front tray you'll see a hole in the console.  This is where the harness comes up and connects to a mini USB plug and a sensor underneath the cup holders for detecting the key fob on trucks with push button start.  If you pull the console out of your truck and flip it over you'll see a few holes for push pins that are connected to the harness. 

9 hours ago, Jmiller1414 said:

I meant to add, I do not have rear heated seats or wireless phone charging. The center console I got was from a ‘19 RST and it does have an SD slot. but I don’t think I have an SD slot anywhere else.

My truck is an LT Trail Boss.. it's sounds like yours is the same that my truck came with. 

2 hours ago, rick08 said:

When I put my centre console in there was a big connector under the carpet kind of between the console and the passenger seat.

Correct.  That's where the harness gets its power from.  That plug is under the front passenger seat carpet, and the console harness routes under the left seat track and into the underneath of the console.

11 hours ago, Transient said:

The harness primarily runs under the console.  If you remove the piece with the cup holders and front tray you'll see a hole in the console.  This is where the harness comes up and connects to a mini USB plug and a sensor underneath the cup holders for detecting the key fob on trucks with push button start.  If you pull the console out of your truck and flip it over you'll see a few holes for push pins that are connected to the harness. 

My truck is an LT Trail Boss.. it's sounds like yours is the same that my truck came with. 

Correct.  That's where the harness gets its power from.  That plug is under the front passenger seat carpet, and the console harness routes under the left seat track and into the underneath of the console.

Thanks for the response, my problem is I’m not finding that plug underneath the passenger seat to plug the harness from my console into.

I’ve got a brick under my passenger seat that has two connections to it, one goes under the left seat track like you said but it is connected to another brick located under the center console. there is also another harness connected to this brick that goes towards the driver seat. The other connection underneath the passenger side goes back towards the dash.

My Jumpseat had no USBs or power connections to begin with, so I’m wondering if my model doesnt have the hookup that yours does. I’d be willing to do some hard wiring but don’t really know where to bring the power from.

First pic is the brick underneath the console, second pic is the brick underneath the passenger seat. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Jmiller1414 said:

Thanks for the response, my problem is I’m not finding that plug underneath the passenger seat to plug the harness from my console into.

I’ve got a brick under my passenger seat that has two connections to it, one goes under the left seat track like you said but it is connected to another brick located under the center console. there is also another harness connected to this brick that goes towards the driver seat. The other connection underneath the passenger side goes back towards the dash.

My Jumpseat had no USBs or power connections to begin with, so I’m wondering if my model doesnt have the hookup that yours does. I’d be willing to do some hard wiring but don’t really know where to bring the power from.

First pic is the brick underneath the console, second pic is the brick underneath the passenger seat. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you tried removing the seat to get a better view?  The bolts are T50.  I recommend a 1/2" drive socket and wrench.  You'll need the torque to get them going. 

2 minutes ago, Transient said:

Have you tried removing the seat to get a better view?  The bolts are T50.  I recommend a 1/2" drive socket and wrench.  You'll need the torque to get them going. 

I removed the seat, just pushed it over to the side a bit so I could get to the bolt that connects the center console. But I did look thoroughly and didn’t see or feel any female ended harnesses that I can plug the male end harness from the console into.

Did your jumpseat have USB inputs, or any kind of power? Mine didn’t, and I’ve seen some that do have power and they just plugged the center console harness into the existing female end that the jumpseat was connected to. But since my jumpseat didn’t have a harness I’m not able to do that. I could be totally wrong in that assumption about yours though.

Thanks again for your input, been scratching my head over this for a while now.

37 minutes ago, Jmiller1414 said:

I removed the seat, just pushed it over to the side a bit so I could get to the bolt that connects the center console. But I did look thoroughly and didn’t see or feel any female ended harnesses that I can plug the male end harness from the console into.

Did your jumpseat have USB inputs, or any kind of power? Mine didn’t, and I’ve seen some that do have power and they just plugged the center console harness into the existing female end that the jumpseat was connected to. But since my jumpseat didn’t have a harness I’m not able to do that. I could be totally wrong in that assumption about yours though.

Thanks again for your input, been scratching my head over this for a while now.

I never had a jump seat.  My wife wanted me to get one, but I told her I enjoy my space (read between the lines).  Sorry if I made you think I did have a jump seat.  My truck came with the center console.  I'm familiar with the center console because I had to tear it apart to swap the wire harness to install OE wireless phone charging. 

7 hours ago, Transient said:

I never had a jump seat.  My wife wanted me to get one, but I told her I enjoy my space (read between the lines).  Sorry if I made you think I did have a jump seat.  My truck came with the center console.  I'm familiar with the center console because I had to tear it apart to swap the wire harness to install OE wireless phone charging. 

Haha I hear you on that, sorry for the misunderstanding. That makes sense now.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:55 PM, Rich Cordova said:

Does anyone have access to GM harness schematics? Trying to find the correct harness that goes from the center console to the dash (infotainment system). Installed the center console with storage, cigarette lighters and USB ports and would like to use the factory harness without having to cut and splice. Or does anyone have access to just the plug and I can add my own pins?

20210915_143535.jpg

20210916_155110.jpg

The extension harness is part number 84376073. it plugs into the back of the USB block on the bottom of the center stack beneath the buttons for traction control, hazards, etc. There should be an open port for it already. this then plugs into the main harness from under the front passenger seat. The cable should be located under the cup holder/tray.  

BUT... I just completed this swap also. My 2020 Silverado TB LT had the jump seat/bench seat and I switched it to the full center console without the wireless charger option. In addition to the extension harness, I purchased the new wire harness that plugs in under the front passenger seat and is responsible for powering the anti-theft module (mounted under the cupholders), the light in the bin, the antenna for the key fobs and/or buttons on the handles, and the rear USB ports. With all things plugged in, including the extension harness, the USB block in the bin gets power and charges phones as intended, however the radio screen/infotainment screen stays stuck on the Chevy bowtie screen. With the USB block unplugged, the infotainment center works normal. 

Very frustrating but I hope there is a remedy for this issue. I reached out to some friends at a GM dealer in service and they seem to think that GM hasnt released the programming necessary to make the truck accept the newly installed USB block since it was not originally equipped with it. 

3 hours ago, rick08 said:

Thanks Adam 

I appreciate your update on this. When i swapped from the jump seat to the console i removed the anti theft device from the jump seat and put it in the floor console. Everything tied into that works as normal.

Nice! I thought about leaving mine like that also but I really wanted those extra USB ports lol .. oh well. 

3 minutes ago, rick08 said:

Hey Adam 

Could I ask which USB port in the centre stack you started out with?

The one with the card reader and dual usb or just usb?

Thanks again 

The truck has the dual usb port in the front below the radio, no SD. I wanted to add the 2 USB, aux, SD block to the inside of the center console under the lid. 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:19 AM, Adam Csencsits said:

The truck has the dual usb port in the front below the radio, no SD. I wanted to add the 2 USB, aux, SD block to the inside of the center console under the lid. 

So you were technically able to add it, your screen just got stuck with the bowtie on the screen? That is unfortunate. 

You may be able to extend the one from the dash to the console and wire the dash one as a regular 12V. 

I have a 2021 Elevation and want the USB ports in the center console also and am having trouble coming up with an idea of how to. If you want just 12V thats pretty simple. Data ports are different. 

Thanks for doing it and letting me know that the extension harness doesnt work. I would bet that your system is registering it as 2 data ports which isnt programmed to do which could be causing your freeze up.