2021 GMC Sierra Denali 20” winter steel rim question

KG14

Hi, 

I will be buying winter tires and rims this year so I don’t ruin the factory ones.

I haven’t found many options online for factory 20” steel rims for my truck. I can get some Hancook Dynapro at2 275/65/20 tires at a decent price.

I understand that’s not my sidewall size but instead of spending $2300 at the dealer I’m thinking they should work.

can a few members tell me how I get some 20” steel rims or what options I have.

thank you🙂

You don't have to use 20's, but you'll want a rim style that works with the 19+ .

Some of the ones that worked on the previous generation won't work on the newer ones

Edited by redwngr

I'd find some 18's. Those would be cheaper than 20's for sure.

Better yet, get the same rims that are your spare rim. Those are still steel wheels.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1

my 2020 High Country came with 22's I traded with the dealer

for some 20's for summer tires and  bought a set of 18" take offs and put 

Cooper AT3  275/70/ 18  ten ply for winter

• Like 1

Just curious, and I mean no disrespect, but why would you want steel wheels during the winter?  I would think that roadway salts and rust creating minerals would negate the preference for steel and move an individual in the direction of purchasing alloy wheels.

For $900, I would be looking to purchase factory wheels off of craigslist or facebook marketplace....with tires.

Edited by Gangly

5 hours ago, Gangly said:

Just curious, and I mean no disrespect, but why would you want steel wheels during the winter?  I would think that roadway salts and rust creating minerals would negate the preference for steel and move an individual in the direction of purchasing alloy wheels.

For $900, I would be looking to purchase factory wheels off of craigslist or facebook marketplace....with tires.

I second this, also I lived up in Northern Illinois/Chicagoland and never had an issue with salt on the factory wheels.  Wheels are the least of my concern when it comes to salt damage.

You can easily protect steel wheels if you want to take the time to do so. They can be clear coated with a few spray cans or you can use a ceramic coating on the wheels.

Some of the mobile wheel guys here offer that service when you buy new rims from them, it holds up pretty well.

On 10/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, KG14 said:

Hi, 

I will be buying winter tires and rims this year so I don’t ruin the factory ones.

I haven’t found many options online for factory 20” steel rims for my truck. I can get some Hancook Dynapro at2 275/65/20 tires at a decent price.

I understand that’s not my sidewall size but instead of spending $2300 at the dealer I’m thinking they should work.

can a few members tell me how I get some 20” steel rims or what options I have.

thank you🙂

Do you have to have 20s?  You won't find a 20" steel.  

Your best bet is a set of takeoff wheels from any 2019+up new body 1500.  Could be 17"s, 18"s, 20"s.  If you can find just wheels, just get your pick of snow tire and slap it together.  Hell, you can just get takeoffs with tires on them and run them as is too.  A set of 18"s off of a Trail Boss or AT4 that still have the Duratracs on them would make a killer winter setup.    

That tire size you found might not fit without a leveling kit either.  Those are 3 inch tires, stock 275/60R20 and 275/50R22 on Denali are 33 inch.    

Or get a set of these:  Silverado Wheels - Chevy Trail Boss Rims CV34 18x8.5 Black Silverado Rims (oewheelsllc.com)

And then some 275/65R18 tires.  

Also, stay away from GM transport wheels.  They are NOT supposed to even be re-sold as they are not DOT road worthy.  GM has a $1500 core on them that they charge the dealers.  

Edited by newdude

Hi, 

thanks for the replies, I did find 20” steelies but they are $200 each and my tires will cost $750.

that’s why I didn’t want to downgrade to 18’s because I was getting a deal on 20s.

About using my factory wheels I know how the salt likes to eat the clear coat and being the truck is a 2021 would bother me.

I live in the great county of Canada, so the roads get a lot of salt and dicer.

I looked into winter wheels/tires for my wife's acadia. Different size, but same solution:

Don't worry about what the wheels are, just find some take-offs and go with it. You aren't buying them for looks. 18's are actually an upgrade in ride quality. Bigger rims are only for looks, and that's subjective at best.

Any used take-offs will be cheaper and fit just fine. I wouldn't want to ride on 20" winter tires anyway. If I were you I'd be looking on craigslist and marketplace for 18" wheels, and then your choice of tire.

I found OEM GMC alloy wheels with barely used snow tires as a set for $600 (again, smaller tires, so they are cheaper than on the truck) But I don't care. we'll run those a couple years and I can get new rubber if the wheels are in good shape.