Another data point to add to this topic: I have a 2020 Chevrolet 2500HD with the 6.6 gas engine. Currently at 28,000 miles. I change the oil every 5,000 - 6,000 miles, as I primarily just use the truck for towing. Oil and filter always changed at the dealer.

I took it in this week as I was getting white smoke on cold start on warm days (70F outside), which was concerning. Dealer confirmed they think it is burning a little coolant, but also notified me I was down a 1.5 quarts of oil (5,000 miles since my last oil change). 

They told me to keep driving it and they would "monitor it". I am aware GM released a service bulletin about excessive oil consumption, and that losing 1 quart of oil every 100 gallons is normal. 

• Sad 3

• 1 month later...

Ok fellas, I've got a 2021 Gasser, just took in for an oil change (every 5k) and, they told me she wasn't even low. And, we've been on 5 camping trips during this 5,000 mile stretch. We haul an 11,000 pound 5th wheel.  I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 & a Napa Gold Filter

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’ve done lots of pulling heavy with gas and diesel. That never means your going to use oil. The two vehicles that I had that used oil from new didn’t pull anything. Both strangely enough used a qt every 2500 miles. One a 94 Z-28, the other a 99 ford 4.6. After 20K miles on the Ford I put a vortec s/c on with no change in oil usage. Both those vehicles had Amsoil with 25K oil changes or in the z-28 case one year. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve done lots of pulling heavy with gas and diesel. That never means your going to use oil. The two vehicles that I had that used oil from new didn’t pull anything. Both strangely enough used a qt every 2500 miles. One a 94 Z-28, the other a 99 ford 4.6. After 20K miles on the Ford I put a vortec s/c on with no change in oil usage. Both those vehicles had Amsoil with 25K oil changes or in the z-28 case one year. 

Right. That's what I had always thought, anyways. Some do some don't. 

• Like 1

One thing for sure fellas, when checking your oil, try get on level ground or pavement. If not, you'll get a false reading. 

Btw, I have my oil changed and tires rotated every 5K miles. 

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 3

Here is an update on my experience. Last oil change was 6/5/22 25,012 miles. Currently at 27,970 with oil life indicator at 60%. Here is a pic of the oil level by dipstick before and after I added 1 quart. (I wait until lunch to check both times). Have done about 1600 miles of towing and have used 396 gallons of fuel.  While I'm still not overly concerned, I'm still curious about what yalls opinion is. Should I be concerned? Should I submit for an oil test and who can I reach out to for this?

20220725_141337.jpg

20220726_121818.jpg

2 hours ago, Truston Gunter said:

Here is an update on my experience. Last oil change was 6/5/22 25,012 miles. Currently at 27,970 with oil life indicator at 60%. Here is a pic of the oil level by dipstick before and after I added 1 quart. (I wait until lunch to check both times). Have done about 1600 miles of towing and have used 396 gallons of fuel.  While I'm still not overly concerned, I'm still curious about what yalls opinion is. Should I be concerned? Should I submit for an oil test and who can I reach out to for this?

1 quart in 396gal is well within spec.  GM says 1 quart per 100gal of fuel is the limit.  Anything over requires repairs or replacement.

The other big thing they mention is waiting 15 minutes for proper drain back before checking the level.  

#03-06-01-023E: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption at 8600 GVW and Above - (Apr 27, 2022)

Measurement of Oil Consumption

Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 8000 km (5000 mi) and the oil has been changed for the first time. During initial engine break-in periods before the first oil change, oil consumption may exceed 1.9 liters (2 quarts) or more per 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used.

Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.

Begin oil consumption test after next regularly scheduled oil and filter change. Oil changes should not be performed during the test.

Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).

Park the vehicle on a level surface.

Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that most of the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.

Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.

Dealer should record the vehicle mileage, date and engine hours at the start of the test on the form included in this bulletin.

Ask the customer to verify and record the date, odometer, oil level, fuel added, and engine hours, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 3-5 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low, if possible. The dealer will add oil to return the oil level to full. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until either the oil level drops to or below the add mark or at least 4800 km (3000 mi) has accumulated since the test began before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.

If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used, follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 379 liters (100 gallons) of fuel used, explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption.

• Like 1

One thing I also did and, I feel that it's important and really helped, was I went by what GM recommended; no towing for the first 500 miles and, during that first 500 miles I took it really easy. It was actually hard to do but, after the that initial 50 miles, I went to the dealership and had the oil changed. And, man did that motor quiet down too. It made quiet the difference. I initially went with Shell Rotella Gas Truck but, since it was discontinued, I now use Pennzoil Platinum (made from Natural Gas) which, is owned by Shell if I'm not mistaken. And, I've never been low on oil. And, I tow quite a bit. 

Hope this helps someone getting a new 2500 HD. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 1:34 PM, Truston Gunter said:

20220725_141337.jpg

20220726_121818.jpg

Hi Trustin, did you ever reach out to Nick for your oil analysis?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Hi Trustin, did you ever reach out to Nick for your oil analysis?

No I sure haven't for a couple of reasons. 1 I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking him to be testing for. I'd like to do a little more research so I can have a better understanding of things. I also noticed he is an AMSOIL dealer. The oil I use is MOBILE1. Does that matter, I'm not sure? And lastly I'm located in South Texas and I believe he is in North Carolina. But the main reason is I'm waiting for my next oil change so I have something to send. Not sure how much of a sample he will need but when I get closer to changing my oil, I plan on reaching out. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Truston Gunter said:

No I sure haven't for a couple of reasons. 1 I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking him to be testing for. I'd like to do a little more research so I can have a better understanding of things. I also noticed he is an AMSOIL dealer. The oil I use is MOBILE1. Does that matter, I'm not sure? And lastly I'm located in South Texas and I believe he is in North Carolina. But the main reason is I'm waiting for my next oil change so I have something to send. Not sure how much of a sample he will need but when I get closer to changing my oil, I plan on reaching out. 

Truston, the used oil analysis is something to have done to see how your vehicle is operating. It isn't specific to oil brand. It will show however how that specific oil is doing inside your engine.  These direct injection engines are known for fuel dilutions.  This can effect the oils ability to protect your engine. 

A used oil analysis can also pick up issues that can cause long term problems before they start. 

It does not matter where you live. You can contact me that you want to get a UOA and I will send you a kit. Basically a bottle and data sheet that you fill out and when you either change your oil or just pull a sample from the dipstick tube with a sampling vacuum pump that you can purchase online or at AMSOIL.  Then you send the oil sample to the laboratory and I get the results and send them back to you with notes on how the sample turned out.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1