Gas Prices

Big_Kahuna

For regular, Ca gas prices are ranging from $4.45 to $7.25 depending on if you live near Mojave or the Pacific.  Overall average though is a little over $6.00.  The governor's plan is to send $400.00 per car rebate (no more than 2 cars) to every registered owner in the state.  Sending me $800.00  will stretch to about 133 gallons at the current average price per gallon.  That's about 5 fill-ups in my 26 gallon tank in the truck, driving the sedan is closer to 7 fill-ups .  Now that I have cut back on driving along with shifting to the sedan, 7 free tanks 'ill go a long way.   

• Like 1

I found A Gulf station $4.39 this am, put $100 in my 04 WT Silverado 2500 and it didn't fill it and I had 1/4 tank to start. must have 35 gallon tank.  I guess I will drive the Caddy except for work. the trans on the 98 k2500hd is whining bad so time to retire it I think, probably just the converter but we know how that goes

• Like 1

Stoped at Sams after church with the wife’s car like usual. Didn’t pay much attention to the gauge or price pulling up. I initially got sticker shock it was like one year ago. I was dancing back to the pump. Then it hit me. She had more than half a tank to start out judging by the gallons. 4.04 a gallon was the price. My normal very laid back wife is actually planning in town trips. 

Who remembers the days when gas dispensers were mechanical wheel counters and were unable to display a maximum price high enough based on the fuel price to fill some vehicles? We had to cut the price per gal. in half on the dispenser and place signs saying final pumped price will be doubled at the register

Edited by txab
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, txab said:

Who remembers the days when gas dispensers were mechanical/analog and were unable to display a maximum price high enough based on the fuel price to fill some vehicles? We had to cut the price per gal. in half on the dispenser and place signs saying final pumped price will be doubled at the register

These are the pumps I was using when I first learned to drive. 

1960's era Texaco gas pump - Altered Visions - Community galleries (MNO) -  CorelDRAW CommunityGas Pumps - Bernie's Restorations

About 25-30 cents a gallon at the time. But a good gas war would run it under 20 cents. I pumped gas in high school at 17 cents a gallon during the wars. 😉  Needed the attendants "key" to reset the pump. No sealing gas then. :) 

• Like 2

My first after getting my license job was pumping gas in New Jersey in 1973. It was full time we had split session in high school. At that time it was all full service. Check oil, air in tires and wipe windshield by hand. Pumps like above. 

• Like 2

Worked at a full service gas station in high school with 2 bays for repairs. Mechanical pumps, cheap oil in cardboard quarts and mostly cash sales. Gas rarely went over 30 cents a gallon for regular. 

I bought a car, moved into a studio apartment on those wages. My Dad used STP with every oil change. Carburetors, mechanical points adjustment, setting timing, bias ply tires. Make me feel old.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Worked at a full service gas station in high school with 2 bays for repairs. Mechanical pumps, cheap oil in cardboard quarts and mostly cash sales. Gas rarely went over 30 cents a gallon for regular. 

I bought a car, moved into a studio apartment on those wages. My Dad used STP with every oil change. Carburetors, mechanical points adjustment, setting timing, bias ply tires. Make me feel old.

Hudson Oil station I worked in sold 'reclaimed' clay pressed oil in glass quarts for 15 cents a quart. Of course we kept the containers and refilled them from a barrel pump in the back. Dad used Wynn's friction proofing. 

I LOVED to spend Saturday afternoons tuning up by best friends SBC for the evening street crawl (racing). But first, off to the rink for the skate and the Dog and Suds. :) Whole evening of entertainment for a $1. Unless bail was involved. :crackup:

• Haha 1

Anyone ever run behind an ambulance or PoPo through redlights on the town square. It was fun gig. My 70' Nova SS 396 was best at it, had to turn my lights off to keep from being seen.....

• Haha 1