44 minutes ago, richard wysong said:

Also curious to what codes it had, I'm sure GM has them thanks to Onstar, Possibly overheated cat or do you think it may have been electrical/fuel issue?

I'm sure they do have them and I'd love to know more about that. The cab smelled sort of like a baseboard heater moments before the smoke started. Firefighters said electrical, but they were looking at a burned out shell. 

GM isn't the only company that ignores people or has poor customer service. We have had bad experiences with a few major companies. It's the norm now. They still make millions or billions, so why care. 

No offense but you need to stop posting online about specifics. Hire a lawyer and keep all the parameters about the incident between yourself and the lawyer until there is a resolution. That is the best advice I can offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kyle Paton said:

So I paid $4000 for a warranty that was only 5% used at that mileage. As far as I'm concerned GM owes me 95% of $4000.

I couldn't help but laugh at this statement. GM doesn't owe you anything, your insurance does.

As said before, vehicles burn daily, even new vehicles. There are SEVERAL factors that can lead to a vehicle fire, that unfortunately you can never investigate because of the amount of damage. It could have been a short in a wire than an animal bit into or it could have been a nest or something an animal pulled into the truck. 

Stuff happens, suck it up, make an insurance claim, buy a new truck, and move on. Your lumps are not anyone's fault, it is life. A lawsuit against GM is bad advice.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I couldn't help but laugh at this statement. GM doesn't owe you anything, your insurance does.

As said before, vehicles burn daily, even new vehicles. There are SEVERAL factors that can lead to a vehicle fire, that unfortunately you can never investigate because of the amount of damage. It could have been a short in a wire than an animal bit into or it could have been a nest or something an animal pulled into the truck. 

Stuff happens, suck it up, make an insurance claim, buy a new truck, and move on. Your lumps are not anyone's fault, it is life. A lawsuit against GM is bad advice.

If the odometer was at 500 kms, would you maintain this position? I’m not being sarcastic, I’m asking honestly. 

I can’t accept that insurance is wholly responsible for paying out on something like this. Everyone just defaults straight to insurance, I don’t understand. 

At what point does the responsibility shift from insurance to manufacturer? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kyle Paton said:

If the odometer was at 500 kms, would you maintain this position? I’m not being sarcastic, I’m asking honestly. 

I can’t accept that insurance is wholly responsible for paying out on something like this. Everyone just defaults straight to insurance, I don’t understand. 

Yes I would still have that opinion. Vehicles burn for various reasons that are beyond manufacturer control. Unfortunately the damage done to a vehicle when they burn don't allow for cause investigation. 

You could have even hit something on the road to cause the damage that led to the fire.

Pull up your britches, file that insurance claim, and buy a new truck. Stop pushing blame on others, you have no idea the reason it burned, this any lawsuit will get tossed. You have to prove it was GM's fault and good luck with that.

Edited by mjonesjr84
  • Like 2

I think youre looking for answers that are impossible to give you. I get that youre upset, and rightfully so, but in the end you appear to expect GM to give you answers to impossible questions. There is literally no human way to determine the exact cause of that fire other than it involved, heat, fuel, oxygen and an uninhibited chemical chain reaction. Whatever the firefighters told you on scene was a wild guess, nothing more. 

Yes GM built that vehicle but it has been out of their control for some time now. They could just as easily lay it off on you and claim it was your actions that caused it. By your own admission you drove it while you knew it to be malfunctioning. I understand that your dealer was uncooperative but if you thought it was that big a deal why did you not force the dealer to give you a loaner ?   See how easy it is to twist things around ?  Like I said, count your blessings, let your insurance agent do his job and move on. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kyle Paton said:

The truck was still inside a full extended warranty to 160,000 kms. The truck was at 103,000 kms. Factory warranty it to 100,000 kms. So I paid $4000 for a warranty that was only 5% used at that mileage. As far as I'm concerned GM owes me 95% of $4000.

If you bought the GM Extended warranty you will get back the remaining warranty money that is left on that warranty. Same goes for trading in a vehicle of the unused ext. warranty, so in your case you will get back 95% of your ext. warranty money.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kyle Paton said:

Let your insurance worry about that.  You pay good money for an insurance policy so that you can simply call them, have them pay you without having to try and prove what happened.  Once they pay you, they (like you) want the responsible party to pay.  They'll go after GM if there is evidence that it was a defect, etc.  Have them take on the fight, not you.

• Like 2

28 years in the Collision Repair Industry. Unless there was personal injury or death, your insurance company will pay off per their guidelines, write off their loss, and send the truck to a dismantler/salvage yard,

Given the condition of the truck post fire it is not worth the insurance company's time and effort to investigate the cause of the fire. Manufacturer feels the same way. Cheaper just to pay off and move on. Cost/benefit ratio. The world we live in now.

• Like 1

File with your insurance and get that settled. Then contact your extended warranty provider and advise them you no longer own the vehicle and request a refund of the balance which will be pro-rated per whatever the contact states. 

On 3/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, mjonesjr84 said:

Well let me laugh at yours seeing as i myself have had gm prorate and refund an extended warranty i bought through a dealership because they gave me a complementary gmpp better warranty because of something they screwed up. My truck didn't even burn down to the ground either! 

Maybe show a shred of compassion here, the guy had to watch his truck burn down to the ground and it's bad enough he had to deal with a dealership and manufacturer who pretends like this is an everyday occurance, he doesn't need that here also!

Edited by BIGDOGx
  • Like 2

Damn....had this happen to me on a 98 Z28 while I was test driving it. Made it out unscathed but had issues with the dealer not giving me my car back that I was going to trade in until I paid for the Z. My insurance company paid it off and went back and sued the dealer and GM for a faulty car...and won the judgement.

28 minutes ago, TxSquid78 said:

Damn....had this happen to me on a 98 Z28 while I was test driving it. Made it out unscathed but had issues with the dealer not giving me my car back that I was going to trade in until I paid for the Z. My insurance company paid it off and went back and sued the dealer and GM for a faulty car...and won the judgement.

Wait a minute this doesn't make any sense, you were test driving a Z28 and it caught on fire while doing the test drive and the dealer would not give you your car back that you were going to trade in, you didn't own the Z28 yet so why wouldn't they give your car back?