Raildust 2015 2500 HD

hey guys, got this truck in March 2016 with 14K on it. It now has 34K within the first few weeks of ownership I noticed lots of little orange specks in the paint. I clay bared the whole thing, threw a coat of wax on it, and in a few months the spots were back. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as "rail dust" when it was transported on a rail car, rust dust was kicked up from the tracks and embedded into the paint. they said they would take care of it, and that all it needed was a clay bar and it'd be good as new (they did it this time) But long story short, the same result as before. Now its been in there twice for that same thing, and here we are again and it's worse than ever before. Anyone else having this same issue/ suggestions to fix it? I live in the rust belt (upstate NY) but I take meticulous care of this, especially in the winter time, and it even has a ceramic coating and sealant on it. So I really don't see why the paint would be doing this early any advice is welcomed!

I hate to say it but I gave up on my rail dust issue as well.  My truck is white. I don't see or notice unless I'm washing the truck.  I think this effects any vehicle that traveled by rail but is easily seen on light colored vehicles.

Now I understand why the wrap the entire body of luxury vehicles being transported

yea, honestly it's too new/ was when I noticed the issue to be caused by the local environment. I notice it all the time unfortunately, and I only wash by hand so it's even worse then, and just kills me. Especially with how much money, time, and effort I've put into this paint. I would love for them to re paint it, but I don't think it's at that point yet where they would do that. I'll keep pressing and update you all as we go.

12 hours ago, redwngr said:

Unless it's actually a local environmental issue.

That's what I am thinking.  The clay bar should remove raildust (and has every time for me), and if it's gone the condition should not reappear.  Has to be something getting back on the paint.       

On 2/3/2018 at 11:50 PM, C/K Man said:

That's what I am thinking.  The clay bar should remove raildust (and has every time for me), and if it's gone the condition should not reappear.  Has to be something getting back on the paint.       

I agree, and like I said, at first, it did! but the problem persists, and the majority of this back and forth was in the summertime where the roads were clean and clear of salt and brine... which is why I didn't think it was environmental. Plus, why would it be showing up again after a sealant and ceramic coating was put on? that leads me to think that it's something underneath the paint.

20 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Fallout from factories and other particulate producing sites doesn't care if the roads are clear.....

That would make sense, but I don't live near any factories or things of the sort. It's a pavement princess in a suburban white picket fence track during the summer. and plus, I don't drive it during the summer. It's mainly a winter truck as I drive my camaro during the summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I live in northern Connecticut. My wife has a white Toyota 4 runner. It is loaded with these spots. I also have friends with vehicles with same issues. We all take very good care of our vehicles. I notice it more in the winter than the summer months. I have read a lot bout the rail dust and so on. I'm thinking it is caused by the highway dept snow plow blades. We have a lot of chip sealed roads and it eats up plow blades quick. I work for the ct dot and notice an orange rust colored film on a lot of the roads we plow. Just a thought I wanted to bring up

I think it is brake dust/rotor dust that is sticking to the soft paint used on newer vehicles then rusting.  You can clean it off but it will return before long.  White vehicles show it more than darker vehicles but it is still there.  I don't buy white vehicles because of this.  Having said that white does look really sharp when clean though.

Archived