What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

13 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I was talking about the caliper paint

Ryan B.

My bad. You were referring to spring time. Face palm, always summer in Arizona.

The paint was from Summit racing. I used the Dupli-Color High Performance Brake Caliper Paint Kits BCP400. Recommend a second can of brake cleaner.

Hit 99k on the way home from Thanksgiving week in VA this past Saturday.  Saw something coating my tailgate while up in VA and didn't think anything of it, was just going to wash it off when I got home.  Came home early from work tonight and noticed something dripping.  Something is wrong with the differential again.  Diff fluid is all over the underside of the bed, diff, the plastic fuel tank shielding, and apparently the tailgate.  Neighbor thinks it's coming out of the vent hose and the pinion seal is leaking.  Regardless I dropped it back off at the stealership maybe they'll figure it out this time and not take 3 months to not fix it.  Also hope they don't screw me and tell me it's something not covered by their 12 month warranty for the work they did on the rear end previously.  I might have to start looking for a new truck a couple years earlier than I planned.  5+ months without my truck in the last year and a half to 2 years because it's been in for repairs.  Of course the loaners are all taken since everyone is waiting on parts too.  For a truck made to work that has done work for maybe 1% of it's life it sure does have some problems.

• Like 1

Just spent a little over $5000 on my 08 Duramax maintenance.  200,000 miles

- New transfer case (it was toast and was bumping and grinding badly even out of 4WD)

- 4 new tires

- new ball joints

- new belt

- Front and Rear diff service

- More work that I forgot about

Ouch.  But I had the money and I'll be keeping the truck for another 200,000 miles. 

• Like 2

I was hoping to hit 200k but if I keep having to be w/o it then maybe not.  Other than the problems I like the looks and it used to drive great, no reason to get rid of it.  10  years and 99k is low mileage too, majority of those I've put on in the 4 years since my father died.

All they found wrong with fatty was the pinion seal.  At least for what I took it in for.  Their suggested stuff was that I need an oil change at $124.94 looooooool.  That's not even for synthetic.  Tire rotation which b/c I'm lazy I'll let them do and hope they do it the way I told them to (probably not) and I told them to balance the tires.  Transmission service at $324.99 LOL?? They also said my driver's side rear door lock actuator is bad and want $320.59 to replace that...uhh no.  The paint correction guy is supposed to come out Tuesday to do the paint from when I pointed it out to them back on January 31st.  So instead of going through the hassle of trying to figure out how to leave my truck and get one of their non existent loaners I'm just leaving fatty with them until then and I'll keep paying out of pocket for the rental.  They claim they aren't responsible for the leaking tail light and it's leaking because I put aftermarket LEDs in it.  Yeah okay then why aren't the other 3 corners of the truck leaking since I replaced all 4 corners with LEDs?

As far as my rental this Excursion XL is pretty nice.  Might swap it for a Tahoe or see if I can get lucky and get a Suburban but I doubt I'll go through the effort.  Had a 4Runner and I didn't like how it drove so I took that back and got the Excursion.  The mirrors are shockingly not complete garbage and I have decent visibility from them.  Rides smooth and is quick as hell.  Downsides are the stupid start stop crap and I'm not sure if I like the 10 speed or not.  Oh and the center console lid rattles when going over a bump.

Today I picked up a car hauler from U-Haul, drove 60 miles up into the Colorado high country, picked up a 1997 Chevy Lumina, and brought it back to the house.  it is my new beater/around town car.  It is in great shape for being 22 years old, has 130,000 miles.  Drives well, shifts well, engine runs well, needs new tires and a little elbow grease to get some pine tree sap off of the body.  I'm going to have it professionally detailed on the inside.  Should clean up ok. 

I had a 1996 Lumina assigned to me for a while when I worked for the Sheriff's Department and really liked it.  it was an unmarked patrol car primarily, but I drove it when it wasn't being used on patrol.  It was a "trial"/"test" car to see what deputies thought about it as a possible replacement of the Caprice when it would go out of production after 1996.  Thankfully the department chose to go with the Tahoe police package as the Lumina was too small for patrol use.  They made great admin cars though.  The 3.1L was a little under powered (they also had a choice of the 3.8 which they should have gone with) but all in all a good car.  32 MPG highway, 19-20 in the city. 

• Like 1

Tried Plasti dip for the first time this weekend. Not bad but I think I still like paint. Night give it a go in a few other things and report back on it. I'll see how long it lasts on the grill. Seems to peel off easy so far ?

IMG_20191215_153457561~2.jpg