First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Impala

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GM started putting that 3.6L direct injection in the 2012 Impala, which made renting one a lot more fun and my primary choice for a rental car. Matched with the new 6 speed tranny the thing is awesome on acceleration and handled the mountain passes with ease, as compared to the crappy engines it replaced. I was averaging about 24 MPG in the city and anywhere from 25-31 MPG on the highway. Not bad at all for a 305 HP sedan. It doesn't need a V-8 unless they are going to try to compete with the Taurus SHO which has about 365 HP out of an Ego boost. V-6 but which gets crappy fuel economy.

GM started putting that 3.6L direct injection in the 2012 Impala, which made renting one a lot more fun and my primary choice for a rental car. Matched with the new 6 speed tranny the thing is awesome on acceleration and handled the mountain passes with ease, as compared to the crappy engines it replaced. I was averaging about 24 MPG in the city and anywhere from 25-31 MPG on the highway. Not bad at all for a 305 HP sedan. It doesn't need a V-8 unless they are going to try to compete with the Taurus SHO which has about 365 HP out of an Ego boost. V-6 but which gets crappy fuel economy.

You're right. The new 3.6L is a great engine, especially installed in the Impala. The new one is well powered with a 3.6L as well.

That said... who could say no to an Impala SS, right?

Archived