8.1L mpg while towing 6,000+ lbs

I would like to hear some real world mpg reports from folks who have or had towed with the 8.1L. I'm seeing anywhere from 4 to 8 mpg from reports on the internet.

I see 8-10 towing a 9000 lbs (total) enclosed trailer with my race car and gear in it, this is on my 01 with headers, cat-less back exhaust, cai, and hypertec programmed. I get the best economy with 87 octane cruising at 75mph

I would like to hear some real world mpg reports from folks who have or had towed with the 8.1L. I'm seeing anywhere from 4 to 8 mpg from reports on the internet.

My co-worker borrowed another co-workers 8.1 to move, he also used to own a z71 with a 5.7, not a stranger to the v-8 gas mileage, he said the mileage with the 8.1 was so bad, like I think he said you can watch the needle go down in real time.

So I would say that is accurate for what you would get for mileage towing.

No chance of buying a diesel?

My co-worker borrowed another co-workers 8.1 to move, he also used to own a z71 with a 5.7, not a stranger to the v-8 gas mileage, he said the mileage with the 8.1 was so bad, like I think he said you can watch the needle go down in real time.

So I would say that is accurate for what you would get for mileage towing.

No chance of buying a diesel?

Been looking at diesel but everyone wants gold for junk! I can't believe the price of diesel trucks!! You'd think with the price of fuel the price of these would go down. Yeah not so much.

Been looking at diesel but everyone wants gold for junk! I can't believe the price of diesel trucks!! You'd think with the price of fuel the price of these would go down. Yeah not so much.

When I bought my new Avalanche the dealer offered my $26k for my 2005 2500HD crewcab 4wd LT Duramax with 36k miles on it. Used 3/4 ton trucks hold their value!

Mine is 9-11 around town and the lowest ive seen was 3-4 going up a steep hill with 7000 lbs behind me..But ive also gotten 14 in cruise at 75 mph on flat level road.. People complain about 8.1 mpg,s but its built to do a job! not getting groceries! the 6.0 does not get much better mileage, And the 8.1 will tow/haul and out work the 6.0 all day long.

The Avys are based on the Suburban, and the way the Suburbans are made the ALLY would not fit. GM beefed up the 4L80 to 4L85 and slapped it behind the 8.1L gasser, because it would fit. So all 3/4 Suburbans and 3/4 Avys have a 4l80(6.0L gasser) or 4l85(big block trucks).

That's a loaded question, Depends on driver, terrain, load, etc. If you are worried about towing economy, buy a diesel. My 8.1 gets anywhere between 10.5 and 12.5 daily driving. Longest trip I took I was seeing 12-13 with a fully loaded bed and back seat, running 80 mph + with a/c on. Have a buddy that has 6.0, Its a DOG and gets a whopping 1 mpg better then me. Take it for what its worth. JMO

Let me also add to my earlier statement. The 3/4 ton Avy will always have a 8.1L gasser with a 4L85E trans, while a 3/4ton Suburban could have a 6.0l gasser/4l80E combo or a 8.1l gasser/4L85E combo. Sorry if that gets confusing.

As for a 6.0Lgasser being a "dog", I would say yes and no. At proper speeds and towing in the 6-8000lbs ranges its fine(not winning any races), at 9-12,000 the truck will feel it. Like I have always stated the D-Max and 8.1L are better tow rigs at the higher weights. You just have to have realistic expectations about whatever truck you drive. For me my truck does everything I can ask of it, and the price point when i bought it could no be touched. The other big block and diesel trucks prices were literly $12-$25,000 more than my truck. If money were no issue a 2006 2500HD crew cab, 4x4, D-Max would be sitting in my driveway, but since I am like you guys I got a truck that fits my needs and was at the right price point. Good luck!

OP you should get a 4.8, its really way more powerful then the 6.0, definatley way more powerful then the 8.1....and the 4L60 is so much better then the allison its not even funny.

jk!

Archived