HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Hey Everyone, I just read through all 50 pages (lots of information in this thread) and want to conform everything before I place my order.

I'm going to go with DDM HID

I have a 2014 Sierra SLT I'm debating on the 35 Watt kit or the 55Watt. If I go with the 35Watt kit is everything I need listed below correct?

Wattage - 35 Watt

Bulb Type - 9006

Bulb Color - 5000K

HID Harness - Dual in, Dual Out $9.99

Error Eliminator - 4700uF Capacitor, Pair $5.99

Now if I decide to go with the 55Watt kit I don't need to buy the error eliminators right? Because the 55Watt has a higher current and shouldn't trip the BCM into thinking a bulb is burnt out right?

Thanks in advance

Correct, BUT if you want the HIDs to match your LED DRLs then the 35W 5000K is not the answer, or at least not to the best of my knowledge.

my understanding is that you will need the 4500K kit if you go with 35W DDMs.

I have the 55W 5000Ks and they match so perfectly that it is not even funny.

As for the error eliminators you are correct, the 35W kit requires it while the 55W kit will just destroy the error eliminators (or at least my 55W kit blew through 3 before I decided that they really were not necessary to have. I have only had the lights flicker 3 times in the 6 months that I have had them installed. When they flicker I just turn them off for a few seconds and then turn them back on. Each time it happened it was not long after they had been turned on, usually within the first 2 minutes after starting the truck)

Hope this helps!

Just my 2 centavos, but I think selecting the color should be a matter of which headlight color you want based on your night driving vision, not trying to match the DRL. That said, it seems that most find 4300k to 5500k visually compatible if you aren't standing out in front of the truck staring at the lights and slapping your monkey.

Edited by spurshot

Thanks everyone for your help with conforming the questions I had. I think I'm going to go with the 55Watt kit in 5000k.

Mike1220 - Since you have the 55Watt kit, have you noticed if the heat is melting anything inside the headlight?

Not only am I new to HID lighting, I am also new to the GM Trucks so if this seems like noobie-like questions; its because they are! I am two weeks into owning my brand new 2014 GMC Sierra SLT and I love it ..... However the lighting does leave a bit of room for improvement! It took me about a week to find this forum, and then another week to read this thread from start to finish.

With that being said, I still have a few questions. I thought I had it all figured out and went to the TRS website to place an order and then I stumbled upon this kit that I have yet to read about..... the

" SIERRA SPEC: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM " http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-sierra-low-beam.html#.VDiLlmddWSo

(and if someone else posted it, my apologies! There is a TON of information in here and it seems to jump all over the place, leaving newbies like myself a bit confused). Others have mentioned the MOPAR kit, then the 9012 Kit, the 9006 Kit; but this one seems like it would be as the name suggests, for the Sierra owners? Can a more seasoned and knowledgeable poster take a look and tell me if I am missing something here?

I am looking to get a "cleaner" white colored light to match the factory DRL's while adding additional light on the road. I will eventually swap all the other lights (fogs, highs, third brake, reverse, etc. to match) but need to start with the low beams.

Also wanting to know what the real advantages/disadvantages between the 35w and the 55w kits are? Thinking that the 4300k or 5000k lights are the way to go as well.

Thanks to all the others who have posted so much already but I just want a little more clarity before i pull the trigger.

I've found the answer to one of my main questions by calling TRS this morning and speaking to Zack..... I was really curious to know why in 50 pages, nobody has been referencing the use of the "SIERRA SPEC: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM"

For those out there who may be curious and for all others who may not read the entire 50 page thread but want to go this route in the future ...... Sierra owners can now order the Sierra Spec Kit as of about Tuesday last week (Not the 9006, the 9012 or the MOPAR kit). According to TRS, the Sierra Spec kit has been put together based on what they best believe is required for the new Sierra's. I asked about the can-bus; they did not recommend getting one (thus not including it as a drop down menu when ordering) and has included the HD relay and Capacitor link with the kit (NO NEED TO ORDER ADDITIONAL PARTS).

FWIW: Silverado owners can also order their own Silverado Spec kit (but i did not ask specifics about that kit).

Here is a rundown of what I ended up going with and can not wait to get it and start installing

post-135097-0-44483700-1413218156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help with conforming the questions I had. I think I'm going to go with the 55Watt kit in 5000k.

Mike1220 - Since you have the 55Watt kit, have you noticed if the heat is melting anything inside the headlight?

No. I have noticed no issues whatsoever. I have to run to my truck in an hour or so and if I can get out there before the rain comes in then I will open it up and double check real quick. But in the few times I did open it since installing I have not noticed anything. Nor have I noticed the beam pattern change (which I would think that if anything begins melting then the beam pattern would possibly also be affected in some way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike1220 for all your help. I just ordered the 55Watt 9006 - 5000K kit. Now its the waiting game for them to come in lol

Very nice. Just curious, did you order 2 sets or just one? I ordered two when I got mine Incase if something goes wrong with any of the components from the first kit. Better to have it in the garage waiting than to be out a headlight for 2 weeks.

Very nice. Just curious, did you order 2 sets or just one? I ordered two when I got mine Incase if something goes wrong with any of the components from the first kit. Better to have it in the garage waiting than to be out a headlight for 2 weeks.

No I didn't even think to order two sets just in case something doesn't work. I think I will go back and add another kit to my order before they get it put together and sent out to me. Thanks for the good idea

Hey so you guys that don't have the retrofit projectors, can yall post some pics so we can see the light output with the HID conversion? Seen plenty of pictures in the thread from retrofit, but not many from the stock projectors.

Hey so you guys that don't have the retrofit projectors, can yall post some pics so we can see the light output with the HID conversion? Seen plenty of pictures in the thread from retrofit, but not many from the stock projectors.

Stock projectors, 55W 5000K from DDMtuning

These are from the night I installed them

post-127147-141339421898_thumb.jpg

post-127147-141339428036_thumb.jpg

post-127147-141339430076_thumb.jpg

Low beams with 35w Morimoto kit in OEM projectors

DSC_7806Large_zpsd557c4fd.jpg

• Like 1

the problem with this request is unless you actually drive with this mod the initial pictures you see don't tell the whole story.

unless you can see the beam pattern and the light and dark spots while moving which are hard to see from a picture the pics posted are very misleading.

trust me, if I could have got an acceptable beam pattern with the oe projector why would I have gone to the trouble of taking the thing apart and spending the extra money?

the best way I can describe it, my beam pattern looked like the lights were pointed to the left with a shadow pointing in the same direction.

it was so obvious that I felt like I was turning left all the time at night.

Kevin,

I don't have the 'left' beam thing, but there is some streaking in the pattern. It's not distracting. Also, the pattern is not as wide as I would like. That's why I'm planning my projector retrofit.

But, if guys are getting the results I have with the Morimoto kit in the OEM projectors, I can see why they'd be happy.