HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I have the Morimoto with no issues with HD radio. I just got done making minor adjustments to the FX-R projectors and I was curious about the HD radio, everything works fine. There is three grounding points, but its not difficult to find grounding points. It took me all of 5 minutes to wire the harness with the capacitor. I'm pretty sure the amount of grounding points a HID kits have, does not have anything to do with the quality of the kit. I am a BMW enthusiast, where did you get the ballast from and how much? I wish our trucks had the auto leveling and turning like the BMW lights.

http://www.undergroundeuros.com/ I bought their HID kit for the lows and fog lights for my 2014 328i, never got around to installing the fog light kit so i replaced my $30 ddm ballast with the underground euros ballast and was impressed by the light output compared to the ddm kit..

only ground i ever needed to use on any hid kit was the relay, which i believe has 2 grounds? could be wrong...dont know what the #3 ground would be for on the morimoto kit...

• Like 1

http://www.undergroundeuros.com/ I bought their HID kit for the lows and fog lights for my 2014 328i, never got around to installing the fog light kit so i replaced my $30 ddm ballast with the underground euros ballast and was impressed by the light output compared to the ddm kit..

only ground i ever needed to use on any hid kit was the relay, which i believe has 2 grounds? could be wrong...dont know what the #3 ground would be for on the morimoto kit...

There's one ground for each ballast and one for the capacitor.

Edited by JaronM3
  • Like 1

There's two grounds for each ballast and one for the capacitor.

Total of 5 grounds ???? That is a lot...I guess some kits are just built differently. Maybe it's geared more towards the GMC vs the Silverado's? Dunno...

Is that BMW in your avatar yours? looks damn nice..

• Like 1

Total of 5 grounds ???? That is a lot...I guess some kits are just built differently. Maybe it's geared more towards the GMC vs the Silverado's? Dunno...

Is that BMW in your avatar yours? looks damn nice..

The HID kit only has 3 grounds, I wrote that wrong. Yes thank you, thats my 2010 M3 with the G-Power Supercharger system SK II CS "Sporty Drive". 620 HP at the crank.

Edited by JaronM3
  • Like 1

The HID kit only has 3 grounds. Yes thank you, thats my 2010 M3 with the G-Power Supercharger system SK II CS "Sporty Drive". 620 HP at the crank.

Nice! I've always wanted an M3, are you in California by chance?

Nice! I've always wanted an M3, are you in California by chance?

I picked the car up in CA. I live in WA, though.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featuredcars/epcp_1110_bmw_g_power_sk_ii_clubsport_m3/photo_10.html

The previous owner did all the work. I installed the suspension KW-V3 and the exhaust.

• Like 1

Guy's, thanks for all the advice on this, I have been working on "Honey Do List" for the last few days, but am going to try a few of the suggestion's related to shielding / grounding, and will update my post tonight / tomorrow.

Hey guys quick question. This may have been previously addressed, but if I'm installing HID's in Low beam and fog lights, will I need to buy 2 pairs or error cancelers or is it only required for the low beams?

Thanks

Hey guys quick question. This may have been previously addressed, but if I'm installing HID's in Low beam and fog lights, will I need to buy 2 pairs or error cancelers or is it only required for the low beams?

Thanks

Considering how the error cancelers work, you would need a pair for the highs as well...I know you didn't ask us if it's wise to install HIDs for highs, but i'd advise you against it.....

Considering how the error cancelers work, you would need a pair for the highs as well...I know you didn't ask us if it's wise to install HIDs for highs, but i'd advise you against it.....

He's looking for low beams and fogs.

Unless you meant fogs but said high beams

They do take a while to brighten up. You will get one good flash, but that's it. I would recommend an LED bulb for your high beams. Also, do you have the projector headlights for your low beams?

Thanks for the reply guys! I don't have projector low beams, which I know would be optimal for HIDs but I also wouldn't mind installing projectors for low beams but would I want to install them on high beams too? I've been looking at after market headlights and they seem to have dual projectors. I don't really see myself dumping 5-8 hundred on a pair of after market headlights though. Will the LED headlight match the color of the HID low beam? And also why does it matter how slow they heat up? Is it because when you dim them for oncoming traffic and turn them back to high it still takes time for them to warm back up? I figured it would just be the initial warm up not every time you turn them off, sorry probably noob questions. I tried to read through the whole post before asking any questions but appreciate the help.

@Arkenzo I would like HIDs because there are a lot of deer around my area and would like better vision, I just got out of a bad car accident and would like the added light at night. Also they just look bad ass haha.

Thanks for the reply guys! I don't have projector low beams, which I know would be optimal for HIDs but I also wouldn't mind installing projectors for low beams but would I want to install them on high beams too? I've been looking at after market headlights and they seem to have dual projectors. I don't really see myself dumping 5-8 hundred on a pair of after market headlights though. Will the LED headlight match the color of the HID low beam? And also why does it matter how slow they heat up? Is it because when you dim them for oncoming traffic and turn them back to high it still takes time for them to warm back up? I figured it would just be the initial warm up not every time you turn them off, sorry probably noob questions. I tried to read through the whole post before asking any questions but appreciate the help.

@Arkenzo I would like HIDs because there are a lot of deer around my area and would like better vision, I just got out of a bad car accident and would like the added light at night. Also they just look bad ass haha.

Well the color matching is all in what you order. You could get a purple HID and a green LED, of course that won't match, but you could get both to be the same white or cool white. I would say LED for your highs so you have an immediate flasher that you can use to continually flash if necessary. I would change the low beams to have a good projector like an FX-R (check earlier posts, like at the beginning of the thread for more info on that) and if you just want better visibility for while other traffic isn't around so you can see for deer. I would add a 30" bar behind the grille and some rigid industries pods in your fogs. Just my recommendation for your situation. The fog light change won't be cheap but it will add plenty of light. If you are not worried about not having high beams to flash, then you could easily switch that to an HID as well. Hell, if you really wanted to, and I think this would be pretty cool, you could retrofit a projector like the FX-R that has a low and high beam feature into both your low beam and high beam position, that way you have 4 low beams and 4 high beams. Would certainly add a hell of a lot of light!! Do that and the fog lights and you'll never know the darkness of night again!

Well the color matching is all in what you order. You could get a purple HID and a green LED, of course that won't match, but you could get both to be the same white or cool white. I would say LED for your highs so you have an immediate flasher that you can use to continually flash if necessary. I would change the low beams to have a good projector like an FX-R (check earlier posts, like at the beginning of the thread for more info on that) and if you just want better visibility for while other traffic isn't around so you can see for deer. I would add a 30" bar behind the grille and some rigid industries pods in your fogs. Just my recommendation for your situation. The fog light change won't be cheap but it will add plenty of light. If you are not worried about not having high beams to flash, then you could easily switch that to an HID as well. Hell, if you really wanted to, and I think this would be pretty cool, you could retrofit a projector like the FX-R that has a low and high beam feature into both your low beam and high beam position, that way you have 4 low beams and 4 high beams. Would certainly add a hell of a lot of light!! Do that and the fog lights and you'll never know the darkness of night again!

Yeah I think I'd be happy with HID high and lows since the only time I would flash them would be if someone had their high beams on me. Otherwise they would just be off when in oncoming traffic. Am I getting that right? And yeah I'd like to do dual projectors with a halo ring but I just don't undertand them enough. You mount the projector where your bulb would be and then you buy a shroud to go around the projector? Do they sell shrouds that would fit in my headlight perfectly? I don't want anything that is going to look cobbed up or half assed. I figured eventually I might put a 50" light bar on the top of my truck but in the future, I'd like to do the HIDs and possibly projectors soon. Just don't want to mess up my headlights and be screwed.