HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Just my 2 cents... for someone not inclined to open a headlight and Retrofit projectors, you might consider some aftermarket headlight assemblies that have projectors and halos. there's at least one maker for the Silverado and others will be out soon.

If you are going thru the trouble to open the headlight, you should go ahead and install a biXenon HID projector that has a high beam shutter. This type of HID projector provides instant high beam since it simply flips open to let more light out on the upper area of the beam. There are many types/sizes and the available space often dictates which projector is used.

Yeah I think I'd be happy with HID high and lows since the only time I would flash them would be if someone had their high beams on me. Otherwise they would just be off when in oncoming traffic. Am I getting that right? And yeah I'd like to do dual projectors with a halo ring but I just don't undertand them enough. You mount the projector where your bulb would be and then you buy a shroud to go around the projector? Do they sell shrouds that would fit in my headlight perfectly? I don't want anything that is going to look cobbed up or half assed. I figured eventually I might put a 50" light bar on the top of my truck but in the future, I'd like to do the HIDs and possibly projectors soon. Just don't want to mess up my headlights and be screwed.

Well just as Spurshot said, if you personally do not want to screw up your headlights, don't do them yourself. Headlights are too important for us to screw up and these new ones are way too damn expensive.

I have a few thoughts on what I believe you should do

If you do not want to mess up your headlights, and if you do not feel like sending them off and paying someone else to hook the projectors up, then I would suggest just putting in LED bulbs for both your lows and highs. Have a nice set from say VLEDs. And then change out your fogs to LED off road pods. That will add plenty of light, especially since you can fit a total of 4 pods/cubes. And do the fog lights on with high beams mod that Spurshot has made a thread about.

If you want something that you will never see someone else copy, (and if I was in your position) I would take off my headlights and send them to fastheadlights and see if they can retrofit 2 projectors in both headlights (for a toal of 4 projectors in all) and make all 4 have high beam and low beam capabilities. That would put a MASSIVE amount of light on the road. Which would be great for making sure you always have enough light. In most states the legal amount of lights you can have on the road at any time is 4. Doesn't matter what 4 they are. I would do this if it is possible. You'll never see another one like it and I think it would look bad a$$ as all hell.

Or you could always keep it simple and order an aftermarket set of lights. I personally wouldn't go this route but I'm not a fan of any of the aftermarket headlights I've seen for the silverado. If you go this route you could just switch both bulbs to HIDs and call it a day and eventually get a light bar.

At the end of the day, it's your truck, so you gotta do what you want and makes you happy

Don't be irresponsible. Putting a HID in a reflector type headlight might make your life easier, but it'll make it nearly impossible for all the oncoming cars to see the road. Give it some thought.

Don't be irresponsible. Putting a HID in a reflector type headlight might make your life easier, but it'll make it nearly impossible for all the oncoming cars to see the road. Give it some thought.

Not sure if this was toward one of my recommendations, but if I did say something that hinted toward putting an HID into a reflector housing, that was not my intention. If you keep the reflectors use LEDs and make sure they are seated properly. If you put on HIDs then pls make sure they are in projectors.

Considering how the error cancelers work, you would need a pair for the highs as well...I know you didn't ask us if it's wise to install HIDs for highs, but i'd advise you against it.....

He's looking for low beams and fogs.

Unless you meant fogs but said high beams

Hey guys quick question. This may have been previously addressed, but if I'm installing HID's in Low beam and fog lights, will I need to buy 2 pairs or error cancelers or is it only required for the low beams?

Does anyone have an answer for this? To be clear, wanting to put HID's in low beams and fogs.

Edited by Kerrslight

I don't believe any error cancellors are needed for the high beams. However when installing hids, ad always, a quality relay harness should be used to power the ballasts directly from the battery

@Mike @Spurshot thanks for the suggestions guys, I am quite mechanically inclined and I don't think I would have a hell of a problem installing the projectors myself. So what you are saying spurshot is put biXeon projectors as low and high beams? Like one for each bulb location?

I don't believe any error cancellors are needed for the high beams. However when installing hids, ad always, a quality relay harness should be used to power the ballasts directly from the battery

I have no intentions of putting HID's in for the high beams. Just the LOWs and FOGS. Does anyone know if you need error cancellors for the FOGS.

I have no intentions of putting HID's in for the high beams. Just the LOWs and FOGS. Does anyone know if you need error cancellors for the FOGS.

I do not think that they are needed for the fogs. Just the low beams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if this was toward one of my recommendations, but if I did say something that hinted toward putting an HID into a reflector housing, that was not my intention. If you keep the reflectors use LEDs and make sure they are seated properly. If you put on HIDs then pls make sure they are in projectors.

Nah Mike. Not you. Some guys think it's ok to put HIDs in their headlights because it works for them. They don't consider that it really is a hazard to the oncoming traffic on narrow dark roads. I've had the experience where I could not make out the road surface because someone thought it worked for them. Going 60 mph at night and not being able to make out the road surface or edges of the road isn't much fun.

• Like 1

@Mike @Spurshot thanks for the suggestions guys, I am quite mechanically inclined and I don't think I would have a hell of a problem installing the projectors myself. So what you are saying spurshot is put biXeon projectors as low and high beams? Like one for each bulb location?

Well, if you open the headlights, putting in a projector is putting in a projector. It takes the same work to install a BiXenon (hi/lo) as a Low beam type. The only difference is hooking two wires to the high beam signal to open and close the shutter of the BiXenon. Whether you decide to put two or four projectors in, it really doesn't matter, BiXenon projectors would be my choice for the instant high beam capability.

If you don't want to spend the extra money on a second set of projectors, you might think about some kind of LED in the High beam reflector, whether simply a bulb or a halo or other custom shaped LED arrangement which could also be used as a DRL. With individual LEDs, the arrangements are only limited by your imagination.