HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

We'll installed my morimoto kit the light flashed once and never worked again so took everything out and going too send back Monday.

Did you check the inline fuse? That's what happened with my DDM when I blew the inline fuse. Turned on for a second and then shut off and wouldn't turn back on.

Hey guys can one please tell me if the 4300 is the closest thing to factory looking ? I'd sacrifice for not having any blue. Thanks

4300K is hyper white. It looks like a stock HID kit. Stock lights for this truck are yellow.

Hi All -- I've had my 2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain for about 4 weeks now. My post-LASIK eyes are particularly sensitive to having sufficient light at night, and accordingly I decided to try an HID bulb kit. I installed the TRS 35W 4300k kit over the weekend and thought I'd share my experience. I decided that I'd modify the TRS harness to allow installation of the relays and the majority of the wiring on the driver’s side. I extended the power lead and placed it in split loom attached (zip tied) to the other wire loom that runs above the firewall. I then tied in to the power distribution box that sits on top of the battery. There was a spare bolt location available, so I used a spare metric nut to attach there. I also extended the cap link and driver's side ballast ground wires to the factory grounding location at the top of the firewall. I grounded the passenger side under the support bar at the front. Measured resistance at that location compared to the factory ground was about a wash, but i figured i'd be able to run to the negative terminal if it was a problem. Both ballasts are mounted on the rad support frame on each respective side. After getting everything connected, I powered up the lights and everything worked fine. I turned on the engine and the relays started toggling (buzzing). I had forgotten to flip the OEM connector for the reverse polarity, though I'm not sure why the engine running made a difference.

The light output is certainly an improvement, though the pattern and shadows are kind of annoying. Can the 9012 bulbs be inserted in multiple positions? I didn't really pay attention to whether or not there were multiple options at the time, as i figured a proper 9012 would only allow one direction. I took a picture of the output from the projector (below). This is immediately out of the projector from about a foot in front of the headlight. The shadows are pretty obvious in the output, though the cut off looks OK at a distance. Not sure if there is an orientation problem or if this is what the output in the halogen projectors looks like. I also noticed that there is a ~.5 to 1 sec delay between the two bulbs firing and powering off. I assume this is just the nature of a single-input relay harness and the extended run to the second ballast. Have others seen this as well?

As far as radio reception goes, I noticed that a weak station is completely lost when turning on the headlights. If there is any noted static, the station will be gone. This is unfortunately many stations given the already weak reception on these radios. I'm only 20 miles outside of pittsburgh and I get static on most local stations. I usually listen to XM though.

post-53038-0-02762800-1414431634_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to post this for anyone who has a Sierra SLT/ Denali/ AT and wants to do some work to the headlights. These headlights are pretty costly, around $700 a piece I think huh? Well while searching the interwebs I came across this on ebay! Its our Headlight with the LED strips but for only $175. How they are going for so cheap I am not sure, but if you are looking to do some work on you headlights I would probably order one of these and try working on this first. That way if you screw anything up you know that you havent screwed yourself or the headlights on your truck. You could either go this route or you could always just do the work on your driver side headlight first and if anything goes wrong, you could order this headlight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-2014-2015-GMC-Sierra-LH-Driver-Side-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-/331353610524

That is a great deal. Saw those on ebay as well. I have a few pairs in route which will be getting some FXR retrofitting and then up online for sale.

How much is the adapter bracket? I remember seeing you mention somewhere that you were having some brackets made up to make the install easier for the FXRs.

Hi All -- I've had my 2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain for about 4 weeks now. My post-LASIK eyes are particularly sensitive to having sufficient light at night, and accordingly I decided to try an HID bulb kit. I installed the TRS 35W 4300k kit over the weekend and thought I'd share my experience. I decided that I'd modify the TRS harness to allow installation of the relays and the majority of the wiring on the driver’s side. I extended the power lead and placed it in split loom attached (zip tied) to the other wire loom that runs above the firewall. I then tied in to the power distribution box that sits on top of the battery. There was a spare bolt location available, so I used a spare metric nut to attach there. I also extended the cap link and driver's side ballast ground wires to the factory grounding location at the top of the firewall. I grounded the passenger side under the support bar at the front. Measured resistance at that location compared to the factory ground was about a wash, but i figured i'd be able to run to the negative terminal if it was a problem. Both ballasts are mounted on the rad support frame on each respective side. After getting everything connected, I powered up the lights and everything worked fine. I turned on the engine and the relays started toggling (buzzing). I had forgotten to flip the OEM connector for the reverse polarity, though I'm not sure why the engine running made a difference.
The light output is certainly an improvement, though the pattern and shadows are kind of annoying. Can the 9012 bulbs be inserted in multiple positions? I didn't really pay attention to whether or not there were multiple options at the time, as i figured a proper 9012 would only allow one direction. I took a picture of the output from the projector (below). This is immediately out of the projector from about a foot in front of the headlight. The shadows are pretty obvious in the output, though the cut off looks OK at a distance. Not sure if there is an orientation problem or if this is what the output in the halogen projectors looks like. I also noticed that there is a ~.5 to 1 sec delay between the two bulbs firing and powering off. I assume this is just the nature of a single-input relay harness and the extended run to the second ballast. Have others seen this as well?
As far as radio reception goes, I noticed that a weak station is completely lost when turning on the headlights. If there is any noted static, the station will be gone. This is unfortunately many stations given the already weak reception on these radios. I'm only 20 miles outside of pittsburgh and I get static on most local stations. I usually listen to XM though.
attachicon.gifHID_OUT.jpg

Kasey, I got the 9012's and I believe they can be installed in various positions, and yes, mine do not look like your picture at all. Try moving them, drivers side is easy to test. If your careful, you can see the how they should go in. My cutoff line is pretty crisp. I do have some dark spots towards going towards the outside, but they are minor.

Kasey, I got the 9012's and I believe they can be installed in various positions, and yes, mine do not look like your picture at all. Try moving them, drivers side is easy to test. If your careful, you can see the how they should go in. My cutoff line is pretty crisp. I do have some dark spots towards going towards the outside, but they are minor.

Thanks Chris -- Do you know the position of the wire on the HID bulb as you have them installed? My cutoff looks pretty clean on buildings. The picture was taken very close to the headlight just to capture any bright or dark spots. I have several minor shadows across the beam on the ground in the dark

So I just finished my projector retrofit on my 14' Sierra. FXR 3.0, 55W 5000K Morimoto setup from TRS. I used the "rear entry" method that was pioneered by Bass Mechanic, I think. It went pretty well. Taking apart the front end of my truck kinda sucked. The first light took about 4 hours and was pretty stressful , the second took about 1.5hrs. Very happy with the results. The harness that they sold me had the stock input inverted( black to red, red to black). I got a loud relay buzz on my test before install. I swapped the stock input plug( red to red, black to black) and that fixed it. Thanks to all the people on here for the info to do this on my own (First DIY retrofit).post-135731-0-36748200-1414551527_thumb.jpg

post-135731-0-36748200-1414551527_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So I just finished my projector retrofit on my 14' Sierra. FXR 3.0, 55W 5000K Morimoto setup from TRS. I used the "rear entry" method that was pioneered by Bass Mechanic, I think. It went pretty well. Taking apart the front end of my truck kinda sucked. The first light took about 4 hours and was pretty stressful , the second took about 1.5hrs. Very happy with the results. The harness that they sold me had the stock input inverted( black to red, red to black). I got a loud relay buzz on my test before install. I swapped the stock input plug( red to red, black to black) and that fixed it. Thanks to all the people on here for the info to do this on my own (First DIY retrofit).attachicon.gifIMG_1907-1.JPG

How do those 55W 5000K bulbs match your factory DRLs? I'm looking to either retrofit or get mine retrofitted soon. I want to do it myself but don't want to screw them up

I'm looking at ordered the parts and getting the shop to install everything. Will save me a few bucks that way. I could save more if I do it myself. How difficult was it for your first DIY retrofit?

I'd say the color match is very good, I can't see a differance from the DRL's. I originally was going to have a shop near me do the work but after a few minutes of explaining to them how to do this retrofit I lost all confidence in them, and they wanted $400 for the labor just for the headlight mod. I still had to get the lights out, back in , and wire it all up.
The hardest part or the retrofit, in my opinion, was keeping debris out of the housing. I learned fast that taping up everything was the way to go. If you are patient and have good jimmy-rigging skills, I'd go for it.